Something is happening that I thought would never happen! I'm retiring!!!

Good for you, I am 6 years away.  Watching love ones passing in their mid 70's has motivated me to retire sooner than later....................
Totally agree with this.

After seeing what happened to my parents, decided years ago that I was going to live life like I want and enjoy.  Trips, toys, dunes, vacation time etc.  Doing it all now.  Might be broke in retirement, but money does no good if you can't spend it.

It's time for me to call it a day and move on! 

I've been working since I was around 12...I'm 62 now...so I think 50 years is enough!

We bought a new motor home and we plan to wear it out!! LOL!! We're gong to see the country and beyond!

Here's to the next adventure!!

View attachment 12383
Congrats!  Maybe start a thread for all of your travels and adventures.

-TJ

Congrats, nicely done ! Enjoy the next decade and see/do all that you can while health is with you and your wife 🙂

With your thoughts of money you will do just fine. Takes a little adjustment but if you are a saver, you still will be in retirement. My wife and I have been really lucky and have gotten to do so much since retiring, 21 years ago, yet the nest egg continues to grow. 
I retired 3 years ago and this description is spot on in my experience.

Love to hear of others that finally get to enjoy the fruits of many years of hard work.

Congrats Bigsammy!

Congratulations! I am trying to retire in the next year. How do you flip the switch from saving money to spending the money that you saved. Mentally that is going to be a tough one for me. 
Next housing downturn I will retire also. Currently 60 years old (FAK). Silly I know but while I am working I can make myself feel like I am spending someone else's money, when I retire I will start spending MY money. This stresses me out more than the working does 🙂

But I will do my best and enjoy every minute of retirement.

Congratulations! I am trying to retire in the next year. How do you flip the switch from saving money to spending the money that you saved. Mentally that is going to be a tough one for me. 
I have been working for this day many years! I watched family members and friends die with nothing to show for it. We made some good investments and because of that and some things that will come in later, we are going to fine. Were not rich, but at the same time we're going to be able to pretty much do what we want, when we want and for as long as we want...as long as we watch what were spending.

I have been working for this day many years! I watched family members and friends die with nothing to show for it. We made some good investments and because of that and some things that will come in later, we are going to fine. Were not rich, but at the same time we're going to be able to pretty much do what we want, when we want and for as long as we want...as long as we watch what were spending.

I agree. Seems like someone is always getting sick or passing away way too young. I'm 51 and I want to enjoy time off while I am still relatively young. On paper, we should be good to go. Just making the jump is sketchy. I own my business and I have been winding it down the last 6 months. No body want to work or cares/appreciates their job so it has made my decision to down size much easier.

I'm like you, we are not rich but we should be able to live comfortably. As long as we don't go crazy with the $$   

I agree. Seems like someone is always getting sick or passing away way too young. I'm 51 and I want to enjoy time off while I am still relatively young. On paper, we should be good to go. Just making the jump is sketchy. I own my business and I have been winding it down the last 6 months. No body want to work or cares/appreciates their job so it has made my decision to down size much easier.

I'm like you, we are not rich but we should be able to live comfortably. As long as we don't go crazy with the $$   
Any market to sell your business? Great launching pad for retirement.

I don't have a lot of money, but I can collect a small pension at the end of the year. I don't like my job any more, but finding a new one is scary.

Every time I go on vacation, I just want to go on another so I don't have to go back to work. If I retire I will have to sell my house, so I can live 

in a cheaper area, I don't want to afford California's cost of living, all my bills keep getting raised for no reason. And these are just basic things,

gas&electric, trash, internet, water, gasoline. 

I am a good saver ,but those unexpected expense are what scare me, especially medical, since I have 10 years till medicare. Plus I have no plan, just hoping it will

work out.

Any market to sell your business? Great launching pad for retirement.
No, I am the business. I had it for sale before COVID. I had a buyer too but COVID killed that. Now that I have downsized, there is nothing to sell. I'll probably keep my company "open" for tax purposes but it will be on life support. 

Welcome to Everyday's A Saturday Sammy!!!

You will be busier than you think and wonder how you ever got anything done. 

Well deserved, keep your health and enjoy time with your wife on your schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! I have three years until I punch out, mama will be working for another four after I become Mr Mom, but we are preparing now, No debt and throwing money at our advisor like he was the first bar we came to after getting off the ship in the Philippines.. 

Back