solar/inverter questions/advice for new toyhauler

1newbie

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a new toyhauler that I bought.  It is pre-wired for solar and has a 1200w inverter.  It has a 20 cubic foot residential fridge, 5000 btu electric fireplace/heater, microwave, etc.  We only do off-grid/dry camping and I want the dealer to add some items before I pick it up.  It is usually pretty cold where we camp (25-50 degrees) How much solar should I go for?  I do not think the 1200w inverter is gonna cut it, so how big would you recommend?  Our last toyhauler had zero solar and I just ran a quiet 4000w generator on a 50' cord for 16 hours/day.  The noise was not too bad, but......  Also, it only comes with one 12v lead acid battery.  I think I actually said 'that's f'n lame' when the salesman told me.  I will probably upgrade to lithium or AGM's when I pick it up.

More panels equal faster charge time for your batteries. I would go one 300AH Lithium or a couple of 200AH lithium batteries. Also, make sure your built in converter/charger is rated for Lithium. I have a 2000W inverter and I feel like its decent enough but if your gonna redo it I would go 3000 Watts. always anticipate for a larger draw than you think you need now.

You can do it right the first time and live a hassle free life. You can't skimp on solar stuff, it's sucks really fast if you do. Just depends on how much dry camping you do. 

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Also; is it worth is to spend 3k-4k-5k setting this stuff up or just run my 4k gen (obviously not on the rv as those things are loud AF) when needed?  I know that when I had my diesel pusher and it had a 7k watt inverter and a lot of solar; even the coffee maker would put a hurt on the AGM batteries (I think there were 12 of them).  One thing I have to say about running the quiet gen all day is that you never need to worry about anything except topping off with gas once a day.

Reactions: FOG
The Residential Fridge alone will need more power and batteries to run even half of the time.  @Squatcher certainly can help

I have 400w solar and a 2000w inverter.  Not near enough.  I'd like to go at least 800w solar and a 3000w (may even a 5000w).  You most will most likely need to increase storage as well.  I know I need 2 more batteries or move to the larger Lithium batteries with the most amp hours I can afford.

You need to ask yourself what you plan to run off it.  Where you going camping?  When? (times of year)   My wife lives for the AC.  I'd need a big enough inverter to run at least one AC.  

You also need to consider you might need to rewire some.  My inverter does not power the kitchen or ACs.  

I just put 8 - 220 watt panels and 4 - 230 ah batteries with Victron 3000w. inverter system in my 26' Grand Designs trailer.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 400w solar and a 2000w inverter.  Not near enough.  I'd like to go at least 800w solar and a 3000w (may even a 5000w).  You most will most likely need to increase storage as well.  I know I need 2 more batteries or move to the larger Lithium batteries with the most amp hours I can afford.

You need to ask yourself what you plan to run off it.  Where you going camping?  When? (times of year)   My wife lives for the AC.  I'd need a big enough inverter to run at least one AC.  

You also need to consider you might need to rewire some.  My inverter does not power the kitchen or ACs.  
Word !. I just bought a little 20' TH. I like not having to run a Genny at all. Installed 400 watts of solar and 4 220ah 6 v batteries. It came with a 12v fridge which sucks some serious amps. The Fla batteries won't cut it. Agm's charge faster with solar. Think I'm good now. And you have to remember that solar in the winter time sun is maybe 4-6 hours a day.

It really depends on your amp usage and requirements, and if the rig is pre wired for any upgrades like lithium batteries. A lot to think about !.

Thanks everyone for the replies.  Also; is it worth is to spend 3k-4k-5k setting this stuff up or just run my 4k gen (obviously not on the rv as those things are loud AF) when needed?  I know that when I had my diesel pusher and it had a 7k watt inverter and a lot of solar; even the coffee maker would put a hurt on the AGM batteries (I think there were 12 of them).  One thing I have to say about running the quiet gen all day is that you never need to worry about anything except topping off with gas once a day.
I dry camp in Glamis most of the season. Did the math and could not justify spending thousands on a lot of solar, more batteries, and a bigger inverter.  I already have a genset in the Moho plus a small Honda 2000 watt generator that sips gas. I did buy 2 100 watt solar panels that charge my 2 6 volt 220 amp hour batteries and run the large fridge/freezer during the daylight.  They paid for themselves in less than 3 months verses propane costs. But that's just me.

Add up what you plan to use in watts on a daily basis and compare all the new stuff to what your generator would use in fuel.  It's that simple.

This is what I put in mine.  We run the generator a few hours in the morning when we get up.  Coffee maker and a few other things. Then at night we run it as we’re preparing for dinner.  It is the best thing I’ve done to the motorhome. And best of all the ice cream. Now if I can just keep @ChEFF from selling it 

I found starting with installing a Victron smart shunt is by far the best way to go  (10 mins to install)

it is a gauge to see exactly what your system is using  and putting into the system

It shows every light switch you turn on instantly, and has a history of voltage  Amps everything and uses  Bluetooth 

it makes it so easy to diagnose things I found my fridge was turning off in the middle of the night 

(start up capacitor was going out.)

Once you know what your usage is , then build your system

with my 36 Phaeton with residential fridge I use 250 watt about per hour while camping.

Went from (6) 6 volt Trojans to (2)  260 ah lipos 

More then enough battery power to run 24 hours no charging 

but we need more solar (currently 750 watt) to charge fast enough on the short winter days summers no problem 

With just solar I can run with out genset for 2 days.

to get through a weekend I would still need to use the genset about 6 hours total over the weekend to keep up.

Aanother a cheaper and easier solution would be build in a Honda 2000 in trailer (on the tongue in sound proof box)and run it for a few hours at dinner.

Two lipo batteries li time 230 ah with cold charging shut off with coupon $1000     (6 Trojans would be $750)      

https://www.amazon.com/Litime-LiFePO4-Battery-Lithium-Phosphate/dp/B0BYH8J176

Renogy  60 amp Dc to Dc charger   $179 

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-60A-Battery-Multi-Stage-Charging/dp/B07Z4GSYC2

Victron 500 amp Smart shunt          $120      

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-SmartShunt-500AMP-Bluetooth-Battery/dp/B0856PHNLX?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A3EYYKYFTRLN23

them went in changed charging profile to lipo     Really easy to install 

i have 1200w and 960ah of lithium.  i can ghost camp forever on that and never run the genny. when im there running the genny for microwave here and there and the solar keeps the batts charged. i really dig my setup. in the high sun part of the day i will see almost 60amps from the solar. 

The 2 280 Lifepo4 Eco Worthy batteries on Amazon is the best deal right now.

Couple of used solar panels from san tan solar.

Victron 10/50 Solar charger

Victon 500a shunt

Inverter charger of your choice.

picked up a new predator 5k inverter gen with the remote start. ran the ac 6 hours on a gal of gas. way cheaper than solar and lipos

Reactions: FOG
picked up a new predator 5k inverter gen with the remote start. ran the ac 6 hours on a gal of gas. way cheaper than solar and lipos
I agree; but if you have a residential fridge in the RV; you pretty much have to have some sort of solar/inverter/etc. At least to keep the fridge cool until you set up camp.  We also shut the generator down between 9 and 10 (depending how quiet camp is); so that becomes another issue if only running on generator.  My last RV had standard propane/AC fridge.

Back