Shock settings x3

G-mo

Reaction score
I have a 2021 x3 RR and have been trying different settings For the whoops but i really dont know what im doing,i only ride in the dunes.  last time i was out it bottomed out and i broke my stock seat, lol 

Has anyone on here figured out the best shock settings For glamis?

20220205_105705.jpg

Fox tune...and anyone who says shock therapy I'd love to meet with you in the dunes and do a comparison...nothing against them, but the stock shocks on my x3 with the fox tune is amazing for me. 

Fox who made the shocks has info on their website depending upon the X3 model you have if you havent noticed:

Powersports Help Center | FOX (ridefox.com)

Gordons - Whoops Test

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum.

I had stock set up.

fox setting.

no comparison at all.

I will be at pad 4 for most of Nov.

most of Jan. Most of Feb and maybe a week in March.

Fox tune...and anyone who says shock therapy I'd love to meet with you in the dunes and do a comparison...nothing against them, but the stock shocks on my x3 with the fox tune is amazing for me. 

Fox who made the shocks has info on their website depending upon the X3 model you have if you havent noticed:

Powersports Help Center | FOX (ridefox.com)

Gordons - Whoops Test
Thanks, i did the Fox tune on the 2019 64" ds that i had and i has less trouble on the whoops than i do with my 2021 72" xrs. I Will look on fox's website again but i think that tune doesnt work on the newer ones with the different valving and springs. For duning it does just fine no need For shock therapy. Going over the whoops is another story, but i Bet if Someone than knows what there doing adjusted them did it it would be good enough. I tryed watching your links but i don't have instagram

Thanks, i did the Fox tune on the 2019 64" ds that i had and i has less trouble on the whoops than i do with my 2021 72" xrs. I Will look on fox's website again but i think that tune doesnt work on the newer ones with the different valving and springs. For duning it does just fine no need For shock therapy. Going over the whoops is another story, but i Bet if Someone than knows what there doing adjusted them did it it would be good enough. I tryed watching your links but i don't have instagram
72 inch for me too...i literally have other owners come up to me and ask what aftermarket shocks i have...and they usually dont believe me when I tell them it's stock.  Your tires look n the small side, are those 30's?

image.png

72 inch for me too...i literally have other owners come up to me and ask what aftermarket shocks i have...and they usually dont believe me when I tell them it's stock.  Your tires look n the small side, are those 30's?

View attachment 32191
Nice car, yes i'm running 30", they are bigger than the stock tires so i figured i would run them. Are yours 32"?  So you just followed the Fox tune For the 2019" 73"? Did You do your own clicker settings? Another quesiton i have on the Fox tune is it calls For 15" ride height, ever since i got mine it has been like 17", should i lower mine to Match that Fox tune?  Sorry For all the questions but if it worked For You i would like to try your exact set up.

Nice car, yes i'm running 30", they are bigger than the stock tires so i figured i would run them. Are yours 32"?  So you just followed the Fox tune For the 2019" 73"? Did You do your own clicker settings? Another quesiton i have on the Fox tune is it calls For 15" ride height, ever since i got mine it has been like 17", should i lower mine to Match that Fox tune?  Sorry For all the questions but if it worked For You i would like to try your exact set up.
RS really needs 32” or bigger or it’ll case before it runs out of travel, often. 

Yes, 32's..but even with the stock 30's the thing rode awesome.  Yes I followed the low speed, high speed, and rebound settings...i didnt have to change anything else as it was already sitting at the correct height - and all other shock settings were close enough if i recall, it was 2 years ago now...But, i get confused on all the different models...RR, RR DS, etc...Do you have the Fox 3.0's in the back like I do?  For me i read the owners manual on how to check ride height - as well as how to adjust the shocks - and then put them where the fox tune suggests...for all the settings on the shocks just tighten them all the way and then as you loosen count revolutions (using wrench location for when you've completed a 360 degree spin aka 1 turn) for the low speed and high speed, and the amount of clicks on the rebound (owners manual might explain it better than me)...it takes about 5 minutes to do all the settings for all 4 shocks.

What mine has - and 2nd pick is all i changed per fox...i purchased new and assume the dealer didnt change anything...point being possibly other things should be changed for you, but if you do not have what fox suggests, try that 1st.

image.png

image.png

That Fox setting may not work for the 21' RR.  Can Am changed the valving in the shocks in 21.   You can give it a try.

With the stock springs you will be adjusting your ride height often as the stock springs will start to sag.   

Yes, 32's..but even with the stock 30's the thing rode awesome.  Yes I followed the low speed, high speed, and rebound settings...i didnt have to change anything else as it was already sitting at the correct height - and all other shock settings were close enough if i recall, it was 2 years ago now...But, i get confused on all the different models...RR, RR DS, etc...Do you have the Fox 3.0's in the back like I do?  For me i read the owners manual on how to check ride height - as well as how to adjust the shocks - and then put them where the fox tune suggests...for all the settings on the shocks just tighten them all the way and then as you loosen count revolutions (using wrench location for when you've completed a 360 degree spin aka 1 turn) for the low speed and high speed, and the amount of clicks on the rebound (owners manual might explain it better than me)...it takes about 5 minutes to do all the settings for all 4 shocks.

What mine has - and 2nd pick is all i changed per fox...i purchased new and assume the dealer didnt change anything...point being possibly other things should be changed for you, but if you do not have what fox suggests, try that 1st.

View attachment 32260

View attachment 32261
Thank you, i Will give that a try. I really don't want to have spend 2k on springs and valving. In the dunes it's fine, it's just in the whoops where it sucks.  I do have the 3.0 shocks, my car is the same model xrs as yours.

That Fox setting may not work for the 21' RR.  Can Am changed the valving in the shocks in 21.   You can give it a try.

With the stock springs you will be adjusting your ride height often as the stock springs will start to sag.   
I only have like 180 Miles on it so far so it's still at 17" ride height but if it starts to sag i might have to get aftermarket springs. I think For 2021 they changed the springs and valving though, so these springs might not sag as much as the older ones. I'm not adding any extra weight on it either so that may help to keep it from sagging.

Thank you, i Will give that a try. I really don't want to have spend 2k on springs and valving. In the dunes it's fine, it's just in the whoops where it sucks.  I do have the 3.0 shocks, my car is the same model xrs as yours.
You have to have little empathy for the vehicle in the whoops for it to work the best.  If you try to just cruise, it won't settle the rear and ends up all over the place.

I only have like 180 Miles on it so far so it's still at 17" ride height but if it starts to sag i might have to get aftermarket springs. I think For 2021 they changed the springs and valving though, so these springs might not sag as much as the older ones. I'm not adding any extra weight on it either so that may help to keep it from sagging.
I would drop your ride down to 16".  If you put the ride height too high you put the shock past the good parts of the bypass ports. You will get a rougher ride in the chop.   

As far as bottoming out is it just the rear or the entire car?

What does the car do in the whoops? 

When I had stock suspension I opened up all the compression setting and found a test area (this was on my 2018.  My 2021 I had the shocks done by Tom Morris before I ever drove it.).  I would make passes and adjust the low speed compression first (brass screw).  Keep making passes until it feels good to you.  I would adjust the high speed (17mm nut) 1/2 turn in and then go on a dune run and make adjustments during dune rides.    You can also lower the crossover rings to engage the main spring sooner to help with bottoming out.   

As far as the rebound I stuck with the fox suggestion.  

Where are you measuring ride height?  Be sure you follow how the manual tells you to to measure.

Leave it stock - i hammer the crap out of mine and it' still great / no sagging...if my springs sag I'm putting back on stock, i would not pay more money for it to ride better because I can't imagine it can get any better - or not worth the money if it did.  I wish CanAm would advertise the spring rates, but they do not - then buying aftermarket would be more doable.  I look forward to meeting people who spend a lot of $ on aftermarket and doing a comparison.  Maybe in 2020 they changed things up, because my car performs great.

Where are you measuring ride height?  Be sure you follow how the manual tells you to to measure.

Leave it stock - i hammer the crap out of mine and it' still great / no sagging...if my springs sag I'm putting back on stock, i would not pay more money for it to ride better because I can't imagine it can get any better - or not worth the money if it did.  I wish CanAm would advertise the spring rates, but they do not - then buying aftermarket would be more doable.  I look forward to meeting people who spend a lot of $ on aftermarket and doing a comparison.  Maybe in 2020 they changed things up, because my car performs great.
I think if you rode in a Can Am X3 that has good shock work your opinion would change.  You would find yourself driving faster as the car will handle better.   For the 2017/2018 model years the stock spring rates are pretty close to what comes in the Eibach Spring kit.  

I think if you rode in a Can Am X3 that has good shock work your opinion would change.  You would find yourself driving faster as the car will handle better.   For the 2017/2018 model years the stock spring rates are pretty close to what comes in the Eibach Spring kit.  
Possibly, but for how good it rides I can't justify spending money to make it better...and I would really enjoy comparing someone who had work done to what I have...side by side video going through whoops and over a jump would be ideal.  Almost every time I do runs where there's a crowd, other CanAm owners come ask who did my shocks, etc - when I tell them Fox tune on stock shocks - most don't even know what that means...and start preaching they want to go to shock therapy and spend thousands.

You have to have little empathy for the vehicle in the whoops for it to work the best.  If you try to just cruise, it won't settle the rear and ends up all over the place.
I tryed that and My stock seat broke,lol

Back