Shifter shaft u-joint orientation

EastMT

Reaction score
Do I have the orientation of the u-joints correct or should one be rotated 90 degrees?IMG_0618.jpeg

Looks good to me. If I remember correctly, the divots for those locking thingys point skyward just like you're showing, on both sides. 

Don't know if you do it on shift shaft, but on steering I drill all the way thru the set screw and shaft and use a bolt with lock nut so there is no slip or failure.

Add, after thinking drilling thru the hardened shafts on trans might not be a good idea. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if you do it on shift shaft, but on steering I drill all the way thru the set screw and shaft and use a bolt with lock nut so there is no slip or failure.

Add, after thinking drilling thru the hardened shafts on trans might not be a good idea. 
I use a drill bit do give the hardened shaft in the trans a small detent so the set screw sits inside it and the u joint won’t slip. I had one slip a little and that was my permanent fix. 

Thanks for the info and ideas. The shaft on the transaxle has/already had an indent. I'll orient the set screw on the shifter u-joint up. I have to reweld the base plate for the shift  a 1/4" higher as I did not allow enough clearance for the u-joints to freely rotate. 

Back