Share your personal fabrications/builds?

So when I finally decided to make the change from a type one (Autocraft) transaxle to a Mendi 2d one of the hurdles was building new trailing arms. The larger ring gear sets your axle center line back on a mid engine. I wanted to keep the same rear width so I made a jig with the old arms, cut apart and simply slid the rear bearing housing back the distance I wanted for the new arms. I used 1.25" 120 tubing. After I got done and painted and on the car, they looked to small and weak at the front joints. I removed them again and cut the front tubing off and sleeved it with 1.5" .120 and put 7/8" hiem joints on them. Second paint I just used steel it. They work great and glad I never tried the first ones as I had no confidence in them.

IMG_1331.JPG

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1339.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

My buddy and I built this wakeboarding winch when we were freshman’s in highschool, we wanted something to do when the waves were flat. I think we got 6 people to pitch in 50 bucks so we could afford to build it. Had no idea what I was doing but my dad gave me free reign of the welder and anything else In the garage. None of us drove at the time so we made the frame able to be towed behind a bike, it was stupid heavy. It has 1200’ of rope and pulls pretty dang fast. The video is of my buddy who helped build it. Highly recommend this project it’s a blast and the cops usually only stop you because they think it’s rad 

13D4DC92-41C9-4D1C-A6EC-3F711371EB43.jpeg

View attachment IMG_8878.mov

Now, that is thinking! Seems that the more rope pulled, the faster it pulls. Have you ever tried it on a bike, skateboard, parasailing, etc?  JK.

that is just like a SxS only bad ass!!!!!  LOL. 

NICE Work!!!
Thank you.  Just following the built not bought theme.  90" wheel base and about a 75" track width.  I will probably make my own hood and fenders as well, but since I found some used ones on the cheap it made for an easy visual to design off of.

Josh, I admire your thinking and fabrication. The best part to me is that it isn't stamped out in a factory. You must have a talent for sheetmetal work.(aluminium) I suck at it, because I don't have the tools.

Josh, I admire your thinking and fabrication. The best part to me is that it isn't stamped out in a factory. You must have a talent for sheetmetal work.(aluminium) I suck at it, because I don't have the tools.
Thank you, I am learning sheetmetal as I go with this.  I have been around many that do the work but have never actually done it myself until now.  Lot's to learn about shrinking, stretching etc...  I may have bit off more than I have the talent for on the body panels, but it can always be re-welded or made again (or at least I hope).

Here are a couple small items.  One is an adjustable foot rest so my grandkids could reach, but still fit my tall buddies.  Also made a new intercooler mount as the old one had given up.  Getting the intake back flat and correct again after welding was a pain, but I applied some old tricks and got er done! And I'm not bashing outback with a pic of the old bracket, I bought the intercooler used and already bent.  Fixed it and ran for years!

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's super complicated fabrication challenge....  

Drill the big ass crack in yhe can and pot in a patch panel to try to hold it together for another few weeks.   

Normally it's me that is bleeding with this type of project but this week I managed to drill a pilot hole through the can, under my wife's finger nail and into the tip of her finger.  Just when she thought it was safe to come back in the garage.  Lmao.  I gave her a small 2x4 to hold against the panels for the next 6 holes.  I should have known to do. That in the first place...  

Fab project #2...  lmao.  She made me delete the picture of her giving me the finger while showing me her bandage.  LMAO. 

20210814_104351.jpg

20210814_104345.jpg

20210814_110351.jpg

20210814_110346.jpg

Today's super complicated fabrication challenge....  

Drill the big ass crack in yhe can and pot in a patch panel to try to hold it together for another few weeks.   

Normally it's me that is bleeding with this type of project but this week I managed to drill a pilot hole through the can, under my wife's finger nail and into the tip of her finger.  Just when she thought it was safe to come back in the garage.  Lmao.  I gave her a small 2x4 to hold against the panels for the next 6 holes.  I should have known to do. That in the first place...  

Fab project #2...  lmao.  She made me delete the picture of her giving me the finger while showing me her bandage.  LMAO. 

View attachment 11547

View attachment 11548

View attachment 11550

View attachment 11551
So 2 fabrication jobs. One on the can and one on the wife thumb. Ouch!

Bud lights car is always clean, shiny, and emaculate. (Not sure on that spelling) Mine, on the other hand, not so much!

Now, that is thinking! Seems that the more rope pulled, the faster it pulls. Have you ever tried it on a bike, skateboard, parasailing, etc?  JK.
We did try it with a skateboard on the first test run and it was absolutely terrifying. It had a torque converter, kind of like the centrifugal clutch belt system the sxs have. If you weren’t careful with the throttle it’d rip the rope right out of your hands 

Back