School me on CA transfer rules/laws

L.R.S.

Reaction score
Can't keep up with the California guns laws/rules and figured I'd ask the knowledgeable peeps around here. 

My son wants to register a couple of my step dad's guns I bought from his estate. My son turned 21 a few weeks ago and wants to legally own a few guns. It's a .357, .38 hammerless and a Sig Sauer P365. 

I talked to a guy at Burbank Guns and Ammo and asked how it worked. He said to bring them in and they'll do a transfer from me to my son. They hold them for 10 days, we need to have IDs. The P365 can't hold more than 10 rds (currently has two 12 rd mags) so I'll need to buy a new mag. But my question was- is this P365 CA legal? Even with a 10 is mag?

I don't know if my step dad ever registered any of his guns or who/where he bought them. Would suck to walk into a FFL and have the guns confiscated, if that's even a possibility?

The Sig is only 5 years old. If he purchased it new, it was transferred to him then. It is on the bullchit roster to own.

FYI, guns don't get "registered".  They get transferred. And that is only on the FFL's books.  It's not reported to the ATF, or any other alphabet agency, unless the FFL closes.

I'd worry about this as much as you do the 14 day camping limit....have the kid get a CWP

It would be wise to just let those be and go buy a new gun from a dealer. 

Magazines are a non issue.  They aren't part of the transfer.  Your transferring a gun receiver, nothing more.

I've got a 365SAS.  You sure about 12round mag?  Even from a free state they come with 8rd mags.

Honestly, I wouldn't give the state the money or your time.  Give the boy his gear and and go about your business.

Magazines are a non issue.  They aren't part of the transfer.  Your transferring a gun receiver, nothing more.

I've got a 365SAS.  You sure about 12round mag?  Even from a free state they come with 8rd mags.

Honestly, I wouldn't give the state the money or your time.  Give the boy his gear and and go about your business.
125200.jpeg

125202.jpeg

Christ.  Just looked them up.  There's like 25 models of 365!  I thought they were only sub-compact

*shows how much I know!  Mine has 10rd mags.

Last edited by a moderator:
did  you do the paperwork when you bought them?  Are they from CA originally?

The Sig is only 5 years old. If he purchased it new, it was transferred to him then. It is on the bullchit roster to own.

FYI, guns don't get "registered".  They get transferred. And that is only on the FFL's books.  It's not reported to the ATF, or any other alphabet agency, unless the FFL closes.

I'd worry about this as much as you do the 14 day camping limit....have the kid get a CWP
When you transfer the guns into your name, they get registered to you. When you are ran through an LE agency, it will show every gun you own. Some exceptions are long guns if purchased prior to the updated law that requires them to be registered as well. The off-roster guns cannot be purchased new, and there are some restrictions on transferring as well. Your FFL will know.  

They will need mags blocked to ten rounds. And will need a legal mag for the safety demonstration too. 

he will need to also get the bsfc certificate as well. 

For the transfer it will be important that the gun was in ca due to the 365 being off roster. If it’s from out of state they may not transfer it. They can only go dad to son son to dad mom to son son to mom for example. If the gun was legally owned in ca it doesn’t matter then. 

If you decide to block the mag to 10 rounds you will need to put some epoxy on the base plate to make it a permanent modification. 

I used a small piece of wood inserted into bottom of mag to limit an 18 rounder for ca trips before. 

When you transfer the guns into your name, they get registered to you. When you are ran through an LE agency, it will show every gun you own. Some exceptions are long guns if purchased prior to the updated law that requires them to be registered as well. The off-roster guns cannot be purchased new, and there are some restrictions on transferring as well. Your FFL will know.  
Local PD has ZERO idea how many guns I own.  They are ONLY on the books of the FFL.  They do know I had one stolen by an FFL.  

AND, since I have a CWP/CCW I don't even have to go through the background check BS.  Fill out the 4473 and I'm on my way.

Local PD has ZERO idea how many guns I own.  They are ONLY on the books of the FFL.  They do know I had one stolen by an FFL.  
If you purchased them in CA from an FFL and filled out the DROS paperwork, They know. Like I said, some limitations on Long Guns depending on when they were purchased. But Handguns, 100%...

AND, since I have a CWP/CCW I don't even have to go through the background check BS.  Fill out the 4473 and I'm on my way.
Even with CCW, you fill out a DROS and wait the 10 days. Trust me, they have info on every gun you legally purchased and or transferred. 

Lol, Looks like you are in AZ. Nevermind. This applies to CA peeps........ 

Ca is different they know what you have think long guns began within last 10 years handguns earlier. 

I like our way in az just meet up and sell. Which reminds me I have an early colt sporter2 I need to list. 

I transferred some guns without bringing in the mags, they never asked for them..............maybe I got lucky.

I transferred some guns without bringing in the mags, they never asked for them..............maybe I got lucky.
I think one of my Glocks I bought off a guy, they asked to see a mag instered and removed.  Otherwise, magazines have never been involved or a show of operation. 

Funny all the tasks, paperwork and fees we do for a constitutional right but asking for an ID to vote is "racist and suppressive".

Back