Sand cars for taller folks

ChasingSand

Reaction score
I am contemplating selling my car for something that fits me a little better. I have a SU that is a hybrid Between an ultralight and a fist gen sand pro. I already moved the pedals up about 6 inches forward as well. I’m almost 6’4 and I just frankly don’t fit. I love the car and it’s finally dialed in. I am on the fence between selling the car and buying something different or just take it to SU to start moving things around to make me fit better. Pic is how I fit today in the car. 

99D4F60F-00BF-4250-94E6-1E243B269BA8.jpeg

If you like the car, make it fit you. You don’t have anything extravagant going on with the bar. It would be fairly easy for a fabricator to cut the bar out and place a new one at the elevation that fits you. And makeup up a steering shaft of course. 

It sure looks like you sit up high in the car. Maybe lower the seat down would help both issues.  I'd be a little nervous about stuffing it in a witches eye and smashing your shins/knees on the lower dash bar.  

The PO of my buggy was 6.4 or 6.5 and wanted to wear a helmet.  So the builder put a radiused top on the car so it would not look like it was made strange.  IMO he pulled it off perfectly.   I'm 6.3, and feel very comfortable in it. 

20221110_143009.jpg

If you like the car, make it fit you. You don’t have anything extravagant going on with the bar. It would be fairly easy for a fabricator to cut the bar out and place a new one at the elevation that fits you. And makeup up a steering shaft of course. 
I am contemplating having that done but was worried that there might be an issue with strength as other bars meet at that point?

It sure looks like you sit up high in the car. Maybe lower the seat down would help both issues.  I'd be a little nervous about stuffing it in a witches eye and smashing your shins/knees on the lower dash bar.  

The PO of my buggy was 6.4 or 6.5 and wanted to wear a helmet.  So the builder put a radiused top on the car so it would not look like it was made strange.  IMO he pulled it off perfectly.   I'm 6.3, and feel very comfortable in it. 

View attachment 64070
Unfortunately the seats are as low as they can go. With this car the side panels are really low, so my other thought was to raise the bar and create higher panels.

unless you raise the roof, that might make getting in and out more of a PITA. 

someone here on the board (up in the Cucamonga area maybe??) made a "high rail" buggy from something he bought.  it came out pretty nice. 

the shin thing would bother me the most, but that I think is a pretty simple fix compared to headroom issues.  I cant see in the picture what that looks like so I dont know if it really is an issue or not...

Unfortunately, the seats are as low as they can go. With this car the side panels are really low, so my other thought was to raise the bar and create higher panels.
I was pretty shocked in the three seats I've had in my car and the difference in seat height from the manufactures...Beard was super low, PRP super high, and Jet Tim in the middle...It might be worth asking a buddy who has different seats to see if it would make a difference. Tilting the seat back a bit (rear mounts lower than the front) - might also help a bit.

FWIW - I still have the old beard seats if you're interested in comparing / trying them for fit...I'm in San Diego. 

You can also try lowering the seat mounting tabs

As already suggested, work with a good fabricator - recommend Hondo, to get the ergonomics correct.  Not only will the car be safer you will be less fatigued on longer rides.  
You will get a lower seat positioning with a hardback seat - Sparco or such.  
remember suspension belongs in your car, not you seat for safety and best ride.  

I was pretty shocked in the three seats I've had in my car and the difference in seat height from the manufactures...Beard was super low, PRP super high, and Jet Tim in the middle...It might be worth asking a buddy who has different seats to see if it would make a difference. Tilting the seat back a bit (rear mounts lower than the front) - might also help a bit.

FWIW - I still have the old beard seats if you're interested in comparing / trying them for fit...I'm in San Diego. 
Unfortunately I already have beard seats the frames are mounted pretty much on the floor.

Unfortunately I already have beard seats the frames are mounted pretty much on the floor.
No tabs as well?  I had a similar issue and welded flat stock across the bottom of the seat frame and bolted to that, loses another ~1.5-2" overall since you have to have tabs on the frame as well.  Bottom of the seat frame is level with the bottom of the chassis there.  My suspension leaves plenty of ground clearance at full bump, and the seat bottom is still 5" up, so I've never had issues with direct keister to ground contact.  

Easiest thing for the steering wheel would be flipping the steering column mount and adding SFI padding to the bar to protect your knees:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2397

Less bulky:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=2391

I have similar challenges. I'm 6'5" and fold myself up and squeeze into my little 2 seat mid-engine Revo. I don't have head room or steering wheel clearance issues but I could sure use more leg room. I've looked at options and am considering modifying and going to a different pedal set-up like hanging pedals. Not yet convinced I'll gain enough to justify cost and hassle. I've also contemplated buying a different car. But that's brings it's own challenges. I really like my current Revo and having to trailer it, plus a SxS and multiple quads makes trailer size an issue. And trailer length behind the 40' Moho adds to the complexity. Oh the misery of all these first world challenges  :classic_laugh: :classic_laugh: :classic_laugh:

Its a popular mod on the ultralights (I had it done) to lower the seat mounting position, I was concerned since it sat lower than the bottom of original cars skid plate but never had an issue. Su did the work. 

Its a popular mod on the ultralights (I had it done) to lower the seat mounting position, I was concerned since it sat lower than the bottom of original cars skid plate but never had an issue. Su did the work. 
Do you have any pictures?

Here is one of the car but I don't have any of an angle where you can see the work, it was super clean and plated to protect the driver. 

IMG_2598.JPG

I’m 6’ but long legged I have the same issue in a 4-seat SU. Part of the problem is the peddles mount where the front of the frame angles up. Making it feel like you are sitting flat on the floor. I have had a SCU Big Bro & Pro Bro and the fit was really good. The new SCU is an even better fit. 

Some good ideas / experience thrown out here.

May want to consider a “sun roof” as well, a plexiglass porthole in the roof helps quite a bit in the steep stuff.

Back