Sand Car Stability at Higher Speeds

A stiff/tall paddle is a big contributor to the ass end feeling floaty I've put different paddles on and it disappeared.

How does your sand car feel at higher speeds on straight stretches?  I’m wondering if mine is typical or if I should try some adjustments? I love my little 2 seat, mid-engine Revo. It’s like a slot car in the sand. However, when I hit our sand freeway here in Oregon or on the straight beach runs it starts to feel a little squirrelly as I get towards 90 and more past 100. The car has lots more in it and really I can honestly say it has more in it then I have in me 🥵. I originally just assumed it was tracking back and forth in the ruts and maybe that’s all that’s happening. But curious if this is typical or is there any adjustments I can make to help it track and feel more stable on these higher speed runs? Could it be as simple as playing with front tire pressures? I currently run right about 9-10 psi. Maybe I should try lower pressures? Maybe some shock setting changes? I have the power steering dialed down pretty low so don’t think that’s the issue. Or is this typical and I’m expecting too much? I don’t do this often enough that I would want to sacrifice the handling in the dunes. So if this is a case of just wanting the best of all driving conditions, I’ll gladly live with the high speed characteristics if it means giving up something else. What say you experts? 
What size rear tires and wheels are you running? I ran 17x12s on my revo with 33 inch stu’s and it was all over the place. now run 15x8” wheel with a 33” Stu and runs much better on flats. Felt like the rear end was constantly moving and jerking back and forth with the wider footprint tires. 

What size rear tires and wheels are you running? I ran 17x12s on my revo with 33 inch stu’s and it was all over the place. now run 15x8” wheel with a 33” Stu and runs much better on flats. Felt like the rear end was constantly moving and jerking back and forth with the wider footprint tires. 

4985786A-5259-4D4B-8648-30F9B2A91DFE.jpeg

3E062C2F-1D37-4577-A51C-74FDF303AE60.jpeg

The rear wheels are 15x12. I can’t remember the exact tire diameter. I think they are a little under a 33”, might even be closer to 31”. The rear tires are Extremes. 

I was briefly looking at the toe in today as I was working on other items on the car. From a visual the driver’s side looks good but the passenger side front looked to toed out a bit. I did a quick measurement and it showed off by 1/2”. But I’ll need to spend more time and get a more accurate measurement. 

image.jpeg

Your tires look taller than mine unless it’s an illusion because your wheelbase and overall length is shorter than my car. 
My rears are about 34” tall on the 8” wheels. I think with the super short wheel base the skinny wheel-tire package helps it dig in and feels way better at high speed. Both sets of tires feel about the same when dining. You can see in this pic a little better how narrow it makes the tires

35921406-38A1-444E-B53E-6200ED1F5E71.png

Back