Sand Car move to UTV anyone?

JBL

Reaction score
I was just wondering who on here has sold their Sand Car to get into a UTV.  One person I know has a V6 Turbo Sand rail and picked up a 4 seat X3 a couple years ago.  He said if he wasnt so deep into his Car cause he had to spend big money for a new motor that he'd rather get another SXS.  I realize many folks on here have Tatum/SU/Funco etc and those are sick cars and will no doubt keep them, but some of you only have the run of the mill sand car (like me) that got out of it and into a SXS.  

I went from a turbo Wildcat that was very fast to an old SCU with 2.5 subi at 300hp now stupid fast (for me).  I enjoyed my SXS for many years then sold it and picked up the SCE and been out 4 times now and each time I go out on it I love it even more.  Now Im torn between keeping this Sand Car and selling my deposit on my SXS.  

Any of you guys that went to SXS regret it or is it that much better for you and why?

It will depend on your riding group,  If a buggy group stay with a buggy if sxs stay with sxs. If it's a mixed up group your on your own.

No regret’s… just good memories…

…. But I do miss the torque HP and the V8….

Abc 

Honestly, I have been doing this for so long in a buggy that the sxs just doesn't do it for me in the dunes. I started on a 200x, then a bike, banshee, then a beam car, then went long travel v8 car. I have a sxs that only comes to the dunes on the week long trips in case the rail has issues. Wife loves the sxs for camping, etc. Would rather I not drive it in the dunes, feels it isn't as safe as the rail.

Traded my x3 for a scu, now has a supercharged v8 in it. Best decision I have made, love it so much I bought a Tatum prerunner. Also have a Yamaha YXZ that has been a nightmare. 

Thanks gents! I bought a new/used toy hauler just for the new SXS and when I missed last years sand season I was jonezin so I found the mid travel SCU that barely fit.  Each time I go out I just enjoy it more and more.  Probably cause I know I will never blow a belt and also the fact that my Wildcat was always needing to be wrenched on here and there.  I'd love to get into a bigger car but maybe in the future cause I aint doing the whole upgrade toy hauler thing again lol.  We shall see how things go since I have at least till end of 2022 till the SXS gets made.  Hard pill to swallow since I am on a budget spending $40k on a new sxs or spend $10k on a MD2 since my car has a built 091.  Decisions decisions.

I was just wondering who on here has sold their Sand Car to get into a UTV.  One person I know has a V6 Turbo Sand rail and picked up a 4 seat X3 a couple years ago.  He said if he wasnt so deep into his Car cause he had to spend big money for a new motor that he'd rather get another SXS.  I realize many folks on here have Tatum/SU/Funco etc and those are sick cars and will no doubt keep them, but some of you only have the run of the mill sand car (like me) that got out of it and into a SXS.  

I went from a turbo Wildcat that was very fast to an old SCU with 2.5 subi at 300hp now stupid fast (for me).  I enjoyed my SXS for many years then sold it and picked up the SCE and been out 4 times now and each time I go out on it I love it even more.  Now Im torn between keeping this Sand Car and selling my deposit on my SXS.  

Any of you guys that went to SXS regret it or is it that much better for you and why?
I was planning on doing just this. My car went up for sale and sold in 5hrs. I felt ok, moving on. Then I started to regret my path and really felt I may have made a mistake. Thankfully the deal fell through and I'm now certianly glad it did. Think I would have missed my car way more then I originally thought I would have.

My transmission didn't get rebuilt in time for last weekends trip. Instead of cancelling a buddy told me I could drive his Can-Am. Glad I took him up on it, great weekend with fun rides. That being said, I couldn't sell my car and move to just a SxS.  

I was bummed at first, went back and forth twice. The biggest problem I identified was that in a SXS I was taking the same lines I did in a buggy. There’s a lot of fun shiz that long time buggy drivers are “trained” to ignore. I’ve found a whole new world in committing to a SXS (XP 4 with back seat removed & Stage 2 mods). I won’t even try and say the experience is in the neighborhood of mashing the go peddle and hearing / feeling a V8, it’s not. I’m having a blast because I’m using a SXS using lines that fit, not lines that bore the shiz out of you because you don’t have 20’’ of travel and 500HP. On a side note, buggies joining us for ride generally have to work a little to stay in the line…

I am waiting on a radiator for the buggy so today will actually be the first day I am trying some of this Kool-Aid everybody has been drinking. We shall see.

20220206_154537.jpg

I sold my Alumicraft for a (someday) SxS. Yes, I'm waiting for the Speed SxS. I really liked the Alumicraft. It was a big fun car. Kind of heavy for the sand as it was a prerunner and built for Baja. I am not a SxS guy and the Can am's and RZR's just seemed like they were just off a little for my style (more desert/Baja than dunes). As much as I loved the alumicraft, the prep costs were high. Again, I am a baja guy so I make sure everything it tip-top before I go out. The Speed SxS seem to address the items I was concerned about with the other SxS's. I sold the Alumicraft and put my deposit down. Guess I didn't think it would take 2 years to get the SxS. Hopefully the SxS will be here in the next 4-6 months and I can give it a go. I think I am going to miss a few things from the buggy (V8, shifting, big heavy car) but I know there will be other things I like on the SxS (no transaxle to worry about, lower maintenance costs). 

Thanks gents! I bought a new/used toy hauler just for the new SXS and when I missed last years sand season I was jonezin so I found the mid travel SCU that barely fit.  Each time I go out I just enjoy it more and more.  Probably cause I know I will never blow a belt and also the fact that my Wildcat was always needing to be wrenched on here and there.  I'd love to get into a bigger car but maybe in the future cause I aint doing the whole upgrade toy hauler thing again lol.  We shall see how things go since I have at least till end of 2022 till the SXS gets made.  Hard pill to swallow since I am on a budget spending $40k on a new sxs or spend $10k on a MD2 since my car has a built 091.  Decisions decisions.
Whatever you do: more transmission than motor helps keep the smile going.  Lots of tears upgrading the engine to make the trans marginal again.

I take my Sand Car and a SxS (X3 RR) when I go to the dunes. I always drive the Sand Car. There is just no substitute for the V8 power, throttle response, and sound. And the old saying; when in doubt, power out!

I like the SxS but I love the Sand Car. 

Even my old BEAM car is 100% better then a SxS in the dunes. No replacement and I want a rail back so bad....

but.... the SxS is 100% more vestal and used.

So, grew up at the dunes - Had it all (bikes, quads)

Had a beam car built for me in 2004 (VW 1915 N/A, type 1 I.R.S.) Dialed that in the best you could. Was always the leader and loved every second of it. Engine finally went after 10 years of 1st gear full throttle most of its life. In this time had 2 kids and after talking to the wife we figured lets get a SXS (2014) as they are more versatile and we thought we would be spending more time in the desert and mountains camping. Not wanting to spend the outrageous prices of the Rzr's at the time we ended up with a great "BEEFED UP" 2 seat Teryx with the kids seats in the back. $6500.00. Figured if it wasn't enough in the dunes we would just rent a RZR for the dune trips. It did fine for us at the time, so I thought. During 1st trip out wife says we need a "buggy"! This just doesn't feel the same or have the excitement "I" remember. I said honey, that means get rid of the toy hauler cause the buggy won't fit and then we would probably have to use a flatbed and get a Motorhome (again). She said, "And"? So we do wish we had a SXS for the desert and mountain trips, but there is no substitute for a SANDRAIL in the SAND!!!!

KEEP THE BUGGY!!!!!   Then buy a used LT Yamaha Rhino for the hard pack....... Done!!!!

DO NOT sell the buggy...been there done that!!!!!

:poule:

Back