Safety in todays OHV Community

28-3151. Driver license requirement; definition
A. Unless exempt pursuant to this chapter, a person shall not drive a motor vehicle or vehicle combination on a highway without a valid driver license and proper endorsement as prescribed by this chapter.
B. A person who is licensed under this chapter is entitled to exercise the privilege granted by this chapter on highways and is not required to obtain another license to exercise the privilege by a county, municipal or local board or a body with authority to adopt local police regulations.
C. A person may not drive an off-highway vehicle in this state without a valid driver license as prescribed by this chapter. if a minor who is under twelve years of age violates this subsection, a citation shall be issued to the parent or legal guardian of the minor and not to the minor. if a minor who is at least twelve years of age and under SIXTEEN years of age violates this subsection, a citation may be issued to the minor or to the parent or legal guardian of the minor, but not to both.
D. For the purposes of this section, "highway":
1. Means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained by the federal government, the department or a city, town or county if any part of the way is open to the public for the purposes of vehicular travel other than exclusive off-highway vehicle use.
2. Does not include routes designated for off-highway vehicle use.
Sec. 6. Off-highway vehicle user indicia; education requirement; report; delayed repeal
A. The Arizona game and fish department shall certify an off-highway vehicle safety education course that includes verification of completion.
B. The Arizona game and fish department shall ensure that a person may complete the off-highway vehicle safety education course online.
C. From and after December 31, 2024, a person must complete the off-highway vehicle safety education course and provide to the department of transportation proof of the completion before the department of transportation may issue a resident or nonresident off-highway vehicle user indicia to the person pursuant to section 28-1177, Arizona Revised Statutes, or provide proof of completion to the Arizona game and fish department if the person purchases a nonresident off-highway user indicia from the Arizona game and fish department pursuant to section 28-1177, Arizona Revised Statutes. The department of transportation shall share with the Arizona game and fish department all off-highway vehicle data relating to persons who have provided proof of completion of the education course prescribed by this subsection and all user indicias issued by the department of transportation pursuant to this subsection.
D. On or before December 1, 2026, the Arizona game and fish department shall submit a report regarding the results of implementing the education requirement prescribed in subsection A of this section, including the revenues and costs associated with the implementation and any recommendations for administrative or legislative action, to the governor, the president of the senate and the speaker of the house of representatives and provide a copy of this report to the secretary of state.
E. This section is repealed from and after May 31, 2027.

This new law in AZ is extremely disheartening.. I am wondering what the best way to get some if not all of it repealed

You know my group drives pretty fast out in the desert.. but I never drive faster than I can see.. meaning if something happened I couldn’t stop or damn near stop the car before ya hit it..

Off-roading out here is A LOT less congested than some of these riding areas you guys have and even then we have close calls and the occasional accident..

I don’t under driving like you are on a closed course when you clearly aren’t..

Downside of having window nets is ya can’t throw your beer at em anymore.

Congested. Noted.

130_3078.JPG

130_3083.JPG

December 08 043.JPG

Well, maybe sometimes...

stuff 078.jpg

Governor signs bill mandating new rules for operating off-road vehicles in Arizona. The bill introduces a safety course requirement for operating off-highway vehicles. A driver's license requirement has been added.

I'd be interested to know who actually pushed to introduce it. I'd bet a buck that they are involved with the production or execution of the safety course. We've had rumblings here and have people in G that are lobbying for it but would financially benefit from it.

We took our SxS to Lake Arrowhead and I will not go back. Way to many people who simply don't care about what they are doing.
This is why I won't take my dirt bike on any mountain trails anymore. Used to love going to mountain trails/roads in the summer time but don't feel like losing a head on to some jack hole drifting his brand new sxs around a corner. Most places require you to take roads to get to the single track bike trails.

I'd be interested to know who actually pushed to introduce it. I'd bet a buck that they are involved with the production or execution of the safety course. We've had rumblings here and have people in G that are lobbying for it but would financially benefit from it.
Same. There’s a guy with a training site going around pitching it to all the clubs.

I’m willing to entertain it…

So long as the legislation strengthens the OHV community’s position as far as closures and funding goes. Nothing for us? Pound sand.

Congestion is dangerous everywhere. Even on the Paved Roads. Idiots everywhere. Stay clear and think aggressively. Avoid Stupidity at all costs. Peace

Congestion is dangerous everywhere. Even on the Paved Roads. Idiots everywhere. Stay clear and think aggressively. Avoid Stupidity at all costs. Peace

In havasu when the snowbirds come I try to drive as little as possible on the roads out here.. those fuckers drive up the wrong side of main st, run red lights.. it’s crazy town. I see at least three things a week that make me wonder how they drove all the way to here from
Where they came from
And made it alive

The peeps in Sedona would be my guess.

This is why I won't take my dirt bike on any mountain trails anymore. Used to love going to mountain trails/roads in the summer time but don't feel like losing a head on to some jack hole drifting his brand new sxs around a corner. Most places require you to take roads to get to the single track bike trails.
I won't ride my two-wheeler in a lot of places now due to the SxS racers that think they are in a race. Pretty much the only two places I will ride anymore is Kennedy Meadows and some parts of Johnson Valley (ridges).

dirt bikes far away from any crowded areas for sure now. (moving to Idaho, hopefully not as bad up there)

Friends always asked how are you so fast when you don't know what's coming the other way? I can only go as fast as I can stop. Before there wasn't as much risk because of the equal playing field. Now that new driver has no idea, just pushing the pedal.

I have adapted to ride more like when on the Harley and just assume there is a high speed chase and the guy isn't stopping for anyone, weird bush, blind corner, t in the road, etc. anywhere a vehicle can come from.

You drive differently when you have paid cash for it!!

Everyone thinks they are a racecar driver all of a sudden. They are not!!!

Sign and drive is the worst....

dirt bikes far away from any crowded areas for sure now. (moving to Idaho, hopefully not as bad up there)

Friends always asked how are you so fast when you don't know what's coming the other way? I can only go as fast as I can stop. Before there wasn't as much risk because of the equal playing field. Now that new driver has no idea, just pushing the pedal.

I have adapted to ride more like when on the Harley and just assume there is a high speed chase and the guy isn't stopping for anyone, weird bush, blind corner, t in the road, etc. anywhere a vehicle can come from.

Let us know what you find up there. Other than St. Anthony's of course. (y)

The lack of consequences definitely doesn’t help. Cheap financing, cheap insurance, full cage…

In havasu when the snowbirds come I try to drive as little as possible on the roads out here.. those fuckers drive up the wrong side of main st, run red lights.. it’s crazy town. I see at least three things a week that make me wonder how they drove all the way to here from
Where they came from
And made it alive
X2!

Back