S4 vs S5

The 5-speed gears are narrower than the 4-speed gears, but can still handle a good amount of power, usually upwards of 850 HP/TQ at the crank in a typical sand car.

I will typically suggest gearing 5-speeds to use 4th gear as the top speed gear, and 5th gear is just the extra gear when needed or on the longer runs to keep the RPM's down.

5-speeds are better for lower powered engines for closer splits between shifts. Most sand cars will never need a 5th gear, therefor 4-speeds are more common. Most anyone with 600+ HP/TQ will only ever need a 4-speed in a true sand only car.

John@Outfront, you need to look into the new Gen 3 shift mechanism next time you service the trans. Speeds up the shift actuation to prevent rounding the dogs off, and allows for better clutch-less shifting. You should call me sometime about my thoughts why using the clutch can actually cause more wear on the dogs when driving hard.
I used your advise on shifting without a clutch. (thanks for taking my call)works great and shifts like butter 

I have an s5. My normal driving mode is 650 hp and have never hurt the gear teeth. I have replaced many gears due to the dogs getting rounded.I have also taken out lots of rig and pinions. Neither of those are a result of having the narrower gears due to having 5 gears. I only use 5th when above 70 mph or a long cruise on the highway
I have the same issue, never have eat a gear always the dogs,  I should do a 5 speed and make 3rd and 4th the same gear ratio LOL, buggy roundup and the drags eat another 3rd gear dog and slider,  damn i just need to chill out a little, 

Back