S&S carnage

Reaction score
Had a hard hit last week resulting in some damage to my chassis. Clean break on both lower tubes just in front of the front trans mount, cracks in the upright tubes between the motor and transaxle and on one side it’s pulling away from the mid crossover tube behind the radiator. I’m guessing the big cracks happened when it hit and the others from driving on it without knowing but who knows.

anyone dealt with making an insurance claim on something like this? Seems to fix it properly it needs the rear lower section of the chassis rebuilt and I’d like to add some more triangulation while I’m at it. Any az shops deal with insurance claim on these cars? 

IMG_8797.jpeg

IMG_8798.jpeg

IMG_8799.jpeg

IMG_8800.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8729.jpeg

My .02 is to use insurance claims for you absolutely, positively NEED it. Yes, they might cover this, but in my experience the rate increase and chance that they may drop you (they are gonna claim you were speeding/wreckless driving to break the frame) are not worth it IMO.

My .02 is to use insurance claims for you absolutely, positively NEED it. Yes, they might cover this, but in my experience the rate increase and chance that they may drop you (they are gonna claim you were speeding/wreckless driving to break the frame) are not worth it IMO.
If it seems like the payout won’t be worth it I’ll just cancel the claim and fix it. I’m sure just like anything else fixing it will snowball into a 10k project at a minimum🤣

no idea with Insurance, I have never used it for my Buggy.  I only have it for Fire, theft, and Liability.

That being said, those cracks are more than a hard hit, certainly needs to look carefully at everything.

The support tubes have obviously been repaired in the past.  They most likely broke again first.  Without that support the lower tubes flexed until they broke.

The support tubes have obviously been repaired in the past.  They most likely broke again first.  Without that support the lower tubes flexed until they broke.
The support tubes have been repaired but there was no cracks before the trip, of coarse there’s no way to know what let go first. Definitely needs way more triangulation to strengthen everything in the rear of the car.  

I'm curious if they drilled a hole in the cracks prior to making a "repair". It looks like it cracked again right past the welds and kept going.

Select a shop that will accept payment from an insurance company. Notify your insurance company of the claim and where the car is. No different than if it was an on road vehicle other than your adjuster may have no experience with off road cars. This is where a shop experienced with insurance claims would be beneficial to you.

Select a shop that will accept payment from an insurance company. Notify your insurance company of the claim and where the car is. No different than if it was an on road vehicle other than your adjuster may have no experience with off road cars. This is where a shop experienced with insurance claims would be beneficial to you.
Any recommendations of a shop to use that deals with insurance? 

Clamshell to fix it and call it a day, 

We have done insurance repairs, but on something like this i but your deductible would be more, 

Last edited by a moderator:
Could try Rich at Twisted Alloy out in Buckeye I know he does a lot with insurance claims on sxs's but has built plenty of buggies in his time. 

IMO Insurance should only be used in an accident.

Breaks, abuse, wear and tear.  Part of the sport.
I would bet his Insurance is going to deny the claim for this very reason. I'm curious to what he reported happened ?  

I would bet his Insurance is going to deny the claim for this very reason. I'm curious to what he reported happened ?  
Had a hard hit when I had to jump off a ledge to avoid getting hit by another car in the dunes near roadrunner. I’ll leave that up to them to decide, I’m well aware that wear and tear is part of the hobby so if they want to turn it down I’ll fix it, no sweat either way. 

Back