rzr chop

jeeperdino

Reaction score
a lot of talk lately about washboard roads 

been debated for years

dont blame it on the sxs 

blame it on the wheel

Washboarding - Wikipeda

Highway department experts in the mid-1920s were aware that traffic volume and speed were primary causes of corrugations on gravel roads and cited the role of drive wheels tossing material as a factor.[7][8]

Its a result of wheel scrub. Look at a CanAm or Rzr and the wheels push out through the wheel travel. As they push out, they push the dirt with it causing all the small chatter washboard. Well not all, there was washboard before SxS but it is expediently worst now. It's not across the whole trail, more on the sides. 

Heard about it. Finally felt it vets weekend. Was just me on a dirt bike and a quad following. I was using existing tracks to find the flagpole as quick as possible. 

Definitely a unique chatter. The space betweem the bumps is more a medium range. Not small like washboard roads. Not big like sand whoops. 

Dont they feel the ass end hopping and let off? Would think letting off and stopping the hop would equate to more traction. 

Its like towing in sand and it starts to hop. Cant let off completely and get stuck. Cant stay on the throttle and shake your truck to death. 

I had an old fella tell me washboard roads are formed by wind. The guys skin looked like he lived in the desert his whole life. I drive washboard roads every single day. I do notice the washboard entends the entire width of the road. Even spots that tires dont touch. While i dont believe the wind theory, there might be something to it. 

Been going to glamis for 35 years everything makes whoops but the SxS definitely make the small chop you can see a smooth spot and a group of 10 go by you will see that same spot already form the bumps most seem to be where they are using slight power.Big cars do make bigger whoops but not chop and are smoother to travel over.

Everyplace i have been to where SxS have taken over is just destroyed with them.

I think I have the scientific reason for the dune chop.
The wheel hop chop is caused by the SxS with the rubber band.  As the band stretches and collapses the power is applied unevenly to the wheels causing the chop.
Want smoother dunes,

Ban the Band! 😝

I think I have the scientific reason for the dune chop.
The wheel hop chop is caused by the SxS with the rubber band.  As the band stretches and collapses the power is applied unevenly to the wheels causing the chop.
Want smoother dunes,

Ban the Band! 😝
If the belt stretched enough to change how power is applied to the ground, the clutch wouldn't work.

No, I'll blame SxS's.
looks like my post did the trick

this subject needed its own thread

lets hope the red bull race turns out great

btw, no sxs here, sand jeep and old school ACVW, 250R trike

If the belt stretched enough to change how power is applied to the ground, the clutch wouldn't work.
This is worse than I thought!

So now the clutch is not working properly because of the rubber band as well. That’s going to compound the wheel chop hop problem. 

Dont they feel the ass end hopping and let off? Would think letting off and stopping the hop would equate to more traction. 

Its like towing in sand and it starts to hop. Cant let off completely and get stuck. Cant stay on the throttle and shake your truck to death. 
I think you're referring to leaf spring hop. It happens when leaf springs deflect from the tires losing traction and is cured with some type of traction aid or traction bar. All SxSs (and rails) have the type of suspension that does not allow any kind of spring hop that would cause the shake you're describing.

5n98zv59uf721.jpg

At least with whoops you can time them based on size, length etc...

At least with whoops you can time them based on size, length etc...
Mid to late 90's the whoops at the hill were my specialty. If I was going to beat you racing the hill it would be in them.  My banshee wasn't the fastest but the suspension was set up good I knew how to wheelie over one set and roll thru the next.  And if you could beat me at the top of the hill I just rolled the next time closer to the whoops.

Fast forward to 4 years ago. Leaving the flag pole after the Vet's Ceremony.  Suddenly a bunch of cars who had the same width tire as a quad had who had three times the HP were going every which way known to man. I couldn't get on top of them, I couldn't skim over the top. They would just suck you into these narrow holes that quad tires just fell into. It made it so unless you had smooth sand you had no sand.

People said the same stuff about 250r three wheelers. Then it must be the banshee's. Then the mid travel buggies. Then the quads, then the long travel sand rails, then the V-8 powered rails and now the SXS. And whatever the next trend is etc. etc.

The guys in my group think I'm full of BS but I know I saw my buddy's @Hednjry and @Skogie Funco's do it because I drove through it.  I only saw it happen at a certain speed where I think the weight, versus momentum, plus power causes the sand to build up under the paddles until they dig in again.  Didn't do it at all speeds but I know it was him because the dunes were butter smooth right after the wind and I was third in the line.  Here's one grab from my GoPro where you can start to see it happen - there were more times when both rear tires did it.  I still choose to blame the SXS's for most of it though...

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 1.58.54 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
100% blame is on the sand fleas.  The road to Olds was perfect after the wind last week.  Then it was horrible in less than 24 hours of constant SXS's going back and forth to the hill.  The road is too whoopy for big cars to go fast and cause that crap.  

Actually did not encounter that much chatter bumps this trip in the dunes.  Where I did they were not bad and I certainly did not feel them much in my Can Am.   My friends with rails complain how bad the chatter bumps are in their cars.   I would figure with bypass shock adjustments and bigger tires they should not be that bad in a rail. 

Back