RV Solar Questions

we will need that much power.  Great solar controller.  when you put the panels up there make sure they are not in any area that gets shade.  if even part of the panel is shaded it won't produce power. I have 1000w with the same controller.  I run 560 mah lipos with two magum inverters.   You will have to get into the settings of the Magum.  make sure you float charge is set to 14.4 volts and you should be setup great
I've been running the lipos with the Magnum for a season already, so my charge profiles are all good I think.  There's lots of info on setting up the Victron correctly, so that should be good.  On my Magnum, I have a profile setup to charge to 100% and another to charge to something like 60% for storage.  I will try to do the same with the Victron.

Keep in mind that Steves panels are BIG. I bought everything from him but haven't installed it yet. I can barely fit 2 panels on my roof.
Yeah I've taken some measurements.  They're monster size, but at least I don't need to run 8-10 of them.  My plan is something like this:

20220712_111902_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you have plenty of room.  now just wash that thing.  lol
Yeah, yeah.  I actually paused for a second before posting the pic, then I was like eff it.  I'll wash before the install for sure.

Yeah, yeah.  I actually paused for a second before posting the pic, then I was like eff it.  I'll wash before the install for sure.
How are you going to mount them to the roof? 

I think brackets are being supplied, although I'm not exactly what type.  That said, I'm open to suggestions/advice if you think one type of mount is better than another.  I think to get the clearance I want, they need to be a few inches off the roof to clear the mushroom shaped vents.

I think brackets are being supplied, although I'm not exactly what type.  That said, I'm open to suggestions/advice if you think one type of mount is better than another.  I think to get the clearance I want, they need to be a few inches off the roof to clear the mushroom shaped vents.
I wouldn't put it over the top of the ven, just relocate that one to the ass end of the coach and instead of mounting it landscape, mount it portrait. Mounting it over the vent will keep the stuff escaping from that vent under the solar panel.  In residential solar installs we have a certain distance we have to stay away from vents and other things.

The current state of things.  I used 10ga PV wire with MC4 connectors to run from the two left panels over to a grey outdoor box just in front of the right panel (it's hidden due to the angle of the pic).  Inside the box, all 3 panels are connected in parallel to 8ga stranded copper power wire (non-PV) which runs through the conduit to another outdoor box.  The 8ga runs through the roof via a hole in the bottom of the box.  I removed the big vent cover we had on that center vent to avoid shadows. That vent is in a bunk area that we never use anyway.

20220813_093952_2.jpg

You end up being from LOTD and doing a DIY install?

Yes, bought just the panels from him.  I bought the Victron charge controller and did the install myself.  
Awesome man.  DId mine the same way, surprisingly easier than I thought.

Back