RV Quality….. Nothing New Here…

Everyone is apparently having trouble getting consistent supply. The place I bought my RV told me he is seeing the same model units come in with different brands of everything from sinks and faucets to refrig and AC. If he gets 3 coaches or Toy haulers in they likely will have all different brand components. I am sure that alone may cause issues in the future (untested)
BINGO. Parts will be an issue for a few years to come. 

Quality is the same as its been for the last 20 years I've been around in my opinion. Some are better, some are worse. My only advice that I have found to be true is the HIGHER the Price tag, the bigger list of issues. 

After all its a 6.0 earthquake rolling down the road. 

A tool box and a sense of humor is needed to be part of the RV Lifestyle.  (or a large pocket book with unlimited funds) LOL

With respect to production I'll add my 2 cents    IT's a DOUBLE BARREL BITCH right now 

We have more backlog then we have seen in many years. The businessman in me wants to turn up the he faucet as we are as good as we have ever been internally . We have an awesome team.  The realist in me says maintain quality and let guys know TRUE build dates. Even then supply chain is an  on going battle that needs to be fought on the daily. 

Increasing volume in this climate makes no sense but is frustrating as hell. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Love my 06 Warrior.

Original owner.

Just starting to see some of the "wall sag".

Taking it to a buddy to fix in a couple of weeks.

He has done other trailers.

Other than that, run the genny every month and just keep on using her!!!!

Over 100k miles I have logged with this trailer.

3 trucks ago, but same Warrior.  She looks much cleaner/better here.  LOL

21316Truck_Trailer_1.jpg

Love my 06 Warrior.

Original owner.

Just starting to see some of the "wall sag".

Taking it to a buddy to fix in a couple of weeks.

He has done other trailers.

Other than that, run the genny every month and just keep on using her!!!!

Over 100k miles I have logged with this trailer.

3 trucks ago, but same Warrior.  She looks much cleaner/better here.  LOL

View attachment 14013
Crazy you are just getting wall sag, our trailers were built on the same batch.  I had wall sag 6 years ago and I have a lighter buggy as well.  Must be Cali roads🤪

Crazy you are just getting wall sag, our trailers were built on the same batch.  I had wall sag 6 years ago and I have a lighter buggy as well.  Must be Cali roads🤪
LOL.  Totally agree there!!!!! Just going up Ogilby is enough to make any RV fall apart.  

It’s not just the RV factories, the bigger problem is all the manufactures that build the stuff that goes in them. For example, almost everyone uses Dometic refrigerators. And the same 2-3 models are in 80% of the trailers & RV’s. I know two people who have bought trailers in the past year-year & a half. Both have had fridge issues, one will be on his 3rd fridge when it comes in. Again it’s being blamed on Covid on why Dometic is building crappy, faulty fridges. The other one was having electrical issues, which was scary! The problem was the switch that transfers from shore power to 12v or gas to electric was not doing it right and popping breakers or fuses. Again after being in the shop for a month to figure it out, then another month for the part. It was blamed on Covid, and lack of trained employees to make the parts and the lack of quality control. 

Thr guy with the fridge was dealing directly with Forest Rivers Carson factory. The last time up there they had rows of unfinished trailers as they are waiting for parts, or in some cases just spray foam to seal the holes and insulation. There were a bunch with no entry doors, as the door supplier could not make enough doors. 

I need to replace the carb on my Onan Gen, before the season starts and they’re out of stock. 

It’s a mess! 
Nikal,

Thank goodness for you, no need to look for another RV until your Speed UTV is ready! 2023???🤣

I wouldn't want a new RV of any kind.  Its one of those items that you ARE going to have issues with.  I think the GD.com crowd is luckier then most because the nature of our sport requires us to fix things with very few options in the middle of nowhere.  

I bought my first Monaco pusher 98 after selling my warrior.  Loved the pusher and decided I wanted one a little better after 2 seasons and bought a newer Monaco 04 with a Tag.  Had a guy flag me down waving his hands and telling me to pull over.  I thought something was wrong with the trailer or coach.  So I pulled over into a side street and he pulls up to my drivers side window and I get a "Awesome coach!  Want to sell it?"  People ask if I will sell it all the time.  Very few coaches are made like some of the older units were.

I had less problems with my used 2007 fleetwood discovery than my friend did with his 2013 new fleetwood storm (pre crash vs. post crash)

next rig will hopefully be a Newmar
My buddy has a King Aire he is going to be selling.

Looked at some new RVs over the weekend for shits and giggles.  The ones we looked at appeared to be put together decently.  The pricing is insane, but the dealer was willing to knocked off a good chunk.   

I think the new RVs are still the same hit or miss on which build quality you get like it has been for years.    

What is "wall sag"?

Different from delamination?
Yes.  

People call it wall sag but it is actually the floor starting to bow up.

There should be supports from side to side of the trailer.

Also there should be supports from the frame to the wheel wells.  

On triple axle trailers, there is close to 6' with no support.

Delamination normally happens from a water leak and the wood below the surface starts to rot.

Happens alot on front caps and you can tell as it looks "bubbly".

What is "wall sag"?

Different from delamination?
Yes wall sag is different. Wall sag is when the exterior walls that have no interior structural support transfer the roof weight down the walls and onto the floor out past the "trailer" frame rails. The lack of out rigger support as well as frame flex from it not having enough cross bracing allows the walls to start sagging.

You usually can find out quickly if your trailer is suffering from this is to open the rear door stand at the rear of the trailer on the street side and bounce up and down.  You will see where the cabinets are pulling away from the exterior walls. Well actually where the walls are separating from your cabinets.

Yes.  

People call it wall sag but it is actually the floor starting to bow up.

There should be supports from side to side of the trailer.

Also there should be supports from the frame to the wheel wells.  

On triple axle trailers, there is close to 6' with no support.

Delamination normally happens from a water leak and the wood below the surface starts to rot.

Happens alot on front caps and you can tell as it looks "bubbly".
Thanks for the explanation, Lincster.

Knew what delam was but had never heard of wall sag.

All 3 axles?

Yes wall sag is different. Wall sag is when the exterior walls that have no interior structural support transfer the roof weight down the walls and onto the floor out past the "trailer" frame rails. The lack of out rigger support as well as frame flex from it not having enough cross bracing allows the walls to start sagging.

You usually can find out quickly if your trailer is suffering from this is to open the rear door stand at the rear of the trailer on the street side and bounce up and down.  You will see where the cabinets are pulling away from the exterior walls. Well actually where the walls are separating from your cabinets.
Interesting.

Will have to try that next time we're out at the trailer.

The pricing is insane, but the dealer was willing to knocked off a good chunk.
Just so you know, the rule of thumb on new RVs is 24-28% off MSRP.  My '17 Dutch Star I got new was about 27% off and the '21 Thor I got new was more like 25% (but during Covid).  My '19 MA I have now I got used, but I have the original paperwork and he was around 26% off MSRP as well. 

-TJ

Back