Rockford Fosgate RZR Tunes

Jaw dropping work man! @Meter Tech Thanks for sharing. I'm quite into my tunes too and don't know that I'll get used to wearing a headset all the time. I bet this sounds awesome!

Thanks @ROBERT L for organizing the pics. 
Thank you  :cheers:

There's a lot of hours into this build....2nd battery, 200-Amp battery relay isolator, lighting, wired remote receiver w/ BT and lots of angles to work around.

We enjoy it, always makes for a good end of the day @ Sunset with the crew. 

Although I do have a pesky power draw issue that I chased all season, that's my off-season goal to find it and fix it!!  :banghead:

Take care, and if you see me in the dunes stop by and say Hi.  :hello:

There's a lot of hours into this build....2nd battery, 200-Amp battery relay isolator, lighting, wired remote receiver w/ BT and lots of angles to work around.

We enjoy it, always makes for a good end of the day @ Sunset with the crew. 

Although I do have a pesky power draw issue that I chased all season, that's my off-season goal to find it and fix it!!  :banghead:

Take care, and if you see me in the dunes stop by and say Hi.  :hello:
Looks great! When I had my sand car I did something similar. I ran JL audio separates front and rear with a 10w3. I made my box behind the seats wedge style with the sub facing out between both the seats. No tower speakers though. I bet that thing rocks!

Looks great! When I had my sand car I did something similar. I ran JL audio separates front and rear with a 10w3. I made my box behind the seats wedge style with the sub facing out between both the seats. No tower speakers though. I bet that thing rocks!

My fuel tank is behind the rear seats and I didn't want to lose my cooler mount up front, so I had to get creative with suspending the sub-enclosure behind the front seats....it was tricky and I got good at climbing in and out of the backseat area, but in the end it worked first try! 

It can hang with the best of them.....although I am a little nervous, the main tube on top of the sub-enclosure where it mounts to, when the sub is kicking....you would be shocked at how much that tube vibrates!! I added a third AXIA mount to the top middle, but it still resonates pretty damn crazy.....my fear is cracking that tube at some point?  :explode:

Since we are getting into details...

Let's start off with your enclosure. Your "fictional sub" requires 1.0 cubic ft of airspace. That does not mean your internal dimensions WILL be 12" x 12" x 12". The subwoofer itself has volume displacement. A typical 10" sub is about .050 cubic ft. So does speaker wire. If you built an enclosure that requires 1.0 cu ft of air, the enclosure is now undersized, which will quickly be heard. I know I'm arguing semantics here but if that's how you're building your enclosures, we can expect the sub to sound "off". Going off the reservation a bit... I build my enclosures 20% bigger than specs call out for, as this is something I learned from a LOT of IASCA (Car Audio Competitions) Installers back in the 90's. This is a whole other subject.

As far as your enclosure design questions, yes... a more shallow box will definitely have the sound quality affected. But this easily falls into Rule #1 of Car Audio... "Sometimes you just can't put a great sounding enclosure in a vehicle, without chopping it up". I DO NOT build enclosures to go behind the seats of a truck. I will build one with a MDF frame and use fiberglass for the bottom, under the seat but the limitations behind a seat are an installers worst enemy. The subs fire into the seat, reducing their effectiveness and MOST installers build the enclosure so the baffle (and the sub) mounts right against the seat, limiting the excursion of the sub itself (you'll see rings on the back of the seat from the surround). This kills subs and performance. In this case, I would sell a group of 8' subs (4-6), mount them low in the enclosure and use a 1 3/4" baffle to countersink the subs into the enclosure. Maybe even a group of 6" subwoofers, if it calls for it. When guys want a lot of bass in the cab of their truck, I build the enclosure in the bed of the truck and do a "blow through" into the cab. You can't always have it your way. Some vehicles just won't allow it. Which falls into your main issue:

A RZR has ZERO transient response or transfer function (as a regular vehicle would) so what you're expecting in an offroad vehicle in comparison to a street vehicle, will never happen.

As far as the location of the sub IN the box: if your enclosure is built properly and has all of the appropriate bracing and baffle thickness, the location doesn't matter. Now, if you're building a basic enclosure with no internal bracing and a 3/4" baffle, of course it will sound better off to the side, rather than mounted in the middle. You'll have that corner bracing that I believe you're hinting at in your question.

The best way to get good sound out of a shallow enclosure is to use a subwoofer with a vented pole piece, acoustic foam on the back wall of the enclosure or add features into the enclosure itself that breaks up those back waves (strips of mdf "triangles" along the back or anything but a smooth surface). I will always argue against Polyfill. But, then again... I've had functional subwoofers in my vehicles for decades that have never had an issue. But, that's because I run at 4 ohms, no matter what and don't use Teddy Bear stuffing to help me out.

Dammit... you make me want to go build an enclosure for the Image Dynamics 10 I have sitting on a shelf... :lol:
Great read......fellow IASCA competitor.....qualified for the 1990 (Tempe, AZ) 250-500 watt.....a week prior to the event some Jackazz forgot to set the brakes and forks down on a forklift on a friggin hill and walked away from it......it rolls down and BOOM the side of my truck is taken out, bad enough the system was compromised! I still attended the event...good times! 

After that I got sponsored by MTX and built a Terminator / Blue Thunder system.....just before completion....(new) truck got broken into and they stole / destroyed the (5) Amp Rack along the backwall along with the Kenwood Head Unit and Kenwood Mobile Phone etc.......the insurance claim was so high they almost totaled the truck.......after all of that I was done with it all.....I still did installs for a while but my full-time job got busy with travel and I got out of it. 

Great read......fellow IASCA competitor.....qualified for the 1990 (Tempe, AZ) 250-500 watt.....a week prior to the event some Jackazz forgot to set the brakes and forks down on a forklift on a friggin hill and walked away from it......it rolls down and BOOM the side of my truck is taken out, bad enough the system was compromised! I still attended the event...good times! 

After that I got sponsored by MTX and built a Terminator / Blue Thunder system.....just before completion....(new) truck got broken into and they stole / destroyed the (5) Amp Rack along the backwall along with the Kenwood Head Unit and Kenwood Mobile Phone etc.......the insurance claim was so high they almost totaled the truck.......after all of that I was done with it all.....I still did installs for a while but my full-time job got busy with travel and I got out of it. 
Dang!!! I used to run Blue Thunder subs! Wow I forgot all about those. I had an extra cab ranger with two 10’s and one 12. I so thought I was the shiat back then! There was a guy my senior year that had two Blue thunder 12’s in a vw bug. Not sure how the back window never blew out!

Dang!!! I used to run Blue Thunder subs! Wow I forgot all about those. I had an extra cab ranger with two 10’s and one 12. I so thought I was the shiat back then! There was a guy my senior year that had two Blue thunder 12’s in a vw bug. Not sure how the back window never blew out!
Ya...good times! 

I’m a huge stereo nut. I’ve put systems in just about everything I’ve owned. That goes for the new Pro R I just got! This time I decided to give Fosgates kit a try. There was no beating the package I got for the price if I tried as long as it performed. So here is my take on it and I hope it helps if anyone is thinking to add some tunes. I purchased the stage 5 kit. This kit replaces the stock front 6.5’s and tweeters and adds a set of 6.5 coaxials in the rear along with a 12” sub and amp. The stock speakers are 4 ohm. The replacements are 2 ohm along with 2 ohm rear speakers doubling the output of the stock system. Now the stock speakers actually weren’t half bad once the EQ was tuned in as it comes with a flat tune from the dealer. First I installed the rear speakers and replaced the front tweeters just to hear the difference. Believe me it made a huge difference. This alone would probably be enough for most people especially if they could care less about a subwoofer. The instructions for install were very easy to follow and the install was super easy as most was plug and play. The only harness to install was the one for the sub which was very simple as there is already a positive and negative connection for the wiring under the dash. The hardest part of the install was getting the sub under the dash and in place by yourself. Now for the performance of the sub. The sub is lacking at lower volume levels and the amps have no tuning abilities. The other problem is it doesn’t hit low bass notes. The reason I went with the 12” sub was to hit those notes but the box is too shallow for that. Now I can say that it hits hard as the volume goes up and the sound is clean. The factory tuning of the amps seems pretty spot on! The system sounds great with rock and country. The 12” sub has good punch. As I said earlier, hip hop sounds good but lacks when the low notes hit. All in all, very impressed with the clarity, volume, plug and play install, and price point. As a comparison, my other RZR had an Alpine 900 watt 5 channel amp, two sets of 6.5” Fosgate power coaxials, a wet sounds sound bar, and a JL audio 10w3. I bought all of these components and installed them myself using SSV speaker pods and subwoofer box. I had twice as much money into my old system and spent twice as much time installing it all. In the end, the Fosgate stage 5 is louder and more clear and full sounding. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the review. I am thinking of adding a stereo set up to the pro R. I was going to change out speakers, add the subwoofer, but run all westbound speakers and add 2 rev 8's or rev 10's in the back. Get the mariachi music on to piss off LRS or give him something to dance to. LMFAO...

Back