Residental vs rv style refrigerator

I know this is your area of expertise and this is just my observation but the move towards eliminating propane started before the world lost its mind in 2020.

On the high end diesel motorhomes several already have eliminated propane. They use residential fridges, aqua hot water heaters, electric stoves and generators and inverters to run it all. Yes, that is correctThey even have larger 150 gallon diesel tanks. It's all very nice and seems to work well in a pusher.  Propane in a trailer/5th wheel or gas Motorhome seems easier and more efficient, but then I don't know what the replacements are.  I'm with you on the elect/propane refers. My favorite to have in an RV.

So I guess my question is why the move away from propane? Too Dangerous according officials. Just like anything else. Big Bro wants to control us. 

What is the plan for heating the rig without using propane? I'm thinking electricity via Solar and a lot of battery storage for power. 

Are there gasoline aqua hot units? They only offer Diesel and Propane to my knowledge.  

I agree with you on everything. I sure the Environmentalists, (Liberals) are pushing it.

I thought it was an easier to build, more profit reason. I wasn't even think it was actually more government over reach. No wonder they need 4.5 trillion. It can't be cheap to crawl up the ass of every American. 

I just went through this with ordering my genesis.  I was set on ordering the 4 door propane set up and my guy talked me into the residential set up. 

I went with an upgraded solar system and 6 6v batteries and was told I would probably run out of water before I would need to fire up the generator (ac not counting) while out in glamis.  Trailer is supposed to be in sometime next month so I will let you know what my experience is like. 

I just went through this with ordering my genesis.  I was set on ordering the 4 door propane set up and my guy talked me into the residential set up. 

I went with an upgraded solar system and 6 6v batteries and was told I would probably run out of water before I would need to fire up the generator (ac not counting) while out in glamis.  Trailer is supposed to be in sometime next month so I will let you know what my experience is like. 
How big is your inverter? If it's not 2kw or larger, pure sine wave, you might have to start the genny every time you use the microwave as well.

What is the popular residential model refridgerator being used? 
Samsung RF-18.  The model # is longer due to color specs, etc.  If you search that, you will find it.  It fit width-wise where my Nevercold was, but was almost 7" taller,.  because my fridge sits atop one of my heaters, I didn't have the full 7" to go up, so I had to lower the opening as much as possible (about 3") and then go up the other 4".

This is the only pic I have readily.  This was 1AM just after sliding it into place.  You can see the sticky where there used to be a mirror on the wall to the right (casualty of construction) and I hadn't found a smaller grille yet for the heater below.  

Samsung RF18-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How big is your inverter? If it's not 2kw or larger, pure sine wave, you might have to start the genny every time you use the microwave as well.
My coach came with a MSW modified sine wave inverter from the factory along with a convection/micro.  It runs everything with ZERO issues.  The new resi fridges run fine on MSW, and the micro/convection works great.  I also have no problems with 3-LED TV's, surround sound, phone chargers, air compressor, etc.  Just FYI.

My coach came with a MSW modified sine wave inverter from the factory along with a convection/micro.  It runs everything with ZERO issues.  The new resi fridges run fine on MSW, and the micro/convection works great.  I also have no problems with 3-LED TV's, surround sound, phone chargers, air compressor, etc.  Just FYI.
That's great! You're very lucky!

Samsung RF-18.  The model # is longer due to color specs, etc.  If you search that, you will find it.  It fit width-wise where my Nevercold was, but was almost 7" taller,.  because my fridge sits atop one of my heaters, I didn't have the full 7" to go up, so I had to lower the opening as much as possible (about 3") and then go up the other 4".

This is the only pic I have readily.  This was 1AM just after sliding it into place.  You can see the sticky where there used to be a mirror on the wall to the right (casualty of construction) and I hadn't found a smaller grille yet for the heater below.  

View attachment 15461
How did you secure the unit?

How did you secure the unit?
Do you need to secure it?  Really?

Just kidding!!  We made angle brackets for the back side, and screwed to the back of the fridge (carefully, in strategic spots) and also down thru the floor of the fridge behind the removable cover, and down to the new platform.  I also foamed in around the sides of the fridge, since these don't have the flange to seal like the RV units do and leave air gaps without doing this.

There are a ton of vedios on YouTube and write-ups on RV sites on switching out the fridge. Also there are some products out there to keep the doors shut while traveling.

@Squatcher put a 12cu' res fridge in place of the rv fridge. I may do the same in the future. Need more freezer space!

Res fridge, hands down.  Gets cold quick, maintains more consistent temps, way more space inside for the same exterior dimensions.  Just a better setup for an RV/trailer IMHO.  

-TJ

Sorry should have amended my post to say microwave and AC. Honestly I don’t use the microwave very often so I wasn’t that concerned. 

it’s crazy to think how far these battery banks and electrical systems have come since I bought my first Hauler 16 years ago with the “upgraded dual 12v battery”. 

The new 12v compressor Rv units are really quite impressive. When my Nevercold 1210 quits, probably going that route.

@Squatcher put a 12cu' res fridge in place of the rv fridge. I may do the same in the future. Need more freezer space!
Matt- mine is an 18cuft in place of the Norcold 1210 (12cuft) unit!  You won't believe the amount of freezer space.

I used a "fridge fixer" from Amazon to keep the doors closed.  It's a nice little unit, there is a bracket that bolts on, and a small piece protrudes where all 3 doors intersect.  When traveling, install a holder to keep the doors closed.  Very simple. 

Here's a little youtube I found with a quick google.

Back