Removing tires on 5th wheel

I would look into a having a mobile guy come out and do it. 
Mobile guys mount and balance tires?

One issue for that is I'm in Julian (BFE).  I have no issues removing and reinstalling, I was just wondering any tipps or tricks.  Even got a big new DeWalt impact to put to work.

I honestly didn't even think about how I did mine til this thread. I just used my floor jacks and jacked the bad boy up with my tongue jack down and took the tires off. Didn't think twice about it

I only wondered if the trailer will jack better while hitched up or front jacks down

I only did it this way because I didn't want to leave my truck and trailer for hours, a day. I needed new tires before our trip but also needed to be at work.

Used the front landing gear and some step jack's on the frame. Used my floor jack to lift the axles and put jack stands under them.20211226_110246.jpg

You could ask about balance beads too. No need to put them on a machine. Maybe the mobile guy can use those?

As usual I overthought.   Jacked and 2 wheels off in less than 10minutes.  Longest part was dragging floor jack over gravel.  Used bottle jack on frame and floor jack on an axle.

Forgot there's a small shop in Julian.  Heading now for mount and balance.

Maybe do the last 1 later today depending on cocktail count.  **replaced one tire 6 months ago that had a wire sticking out.

As usual I overthought.   Jacked and 2 wheels off in less than 10minutes.  Longest part was dragging floor jack over gravel.  Used bottle jack on frame and floor jack on an axle.

Forgot there's a small shop in Julian.  Heading now for mount and balance.

Maybe do the last 1 later today depending on cocktail count.  **replaced one tire 6 months ago that had a wire sticking out.
If you plan on swapping tires out at different times I would start putting the date installed on the back of the rim.  It's not only so you can change them out in the proper order but you can see if you start to have an issue and you will wonder if you already changed that one or not. 

I had a couple cracks on one so all six got swapped, five years later and all five got the swapped again.  Five years is max on tires no matter the miles unless you want to play the change the ones that pop game. Trust me that one is not the cheaper way to go. 

All 3 today were balanced.  Start to finish about 3 hours and $60.  Greased bearings while I was at it.  

Good practice for the (knock on wood) side of the road swap and also used the torque wrench I forgot I had. 

Is balancing a trailer wheel really necessary?  Rotating 55mph or less (supposedly)
necessary no but worth it to do it especially in a rv or toy hauler less vibration to loosen up the allready cheap build quality of the wood work also the suspension really will take a beating the dont last long in a perfect world a tire out bad it just accelerates the wear. also balanced tires wear better 

Back