Removing tires on 5th wheel

Bansh88

Reaction score
I need to install new tires on my 5th wheel.  Rather than take the trailer down an hour away, I'm just pulling wheels off and taking them down in 2 stages.

Is it easier to remove a wheel with the trailer hooked up to a truck or parked with the levelers?  I removed a wheel once unhooked and it sure put the floor jack to work.  I'm thinking if it's hooked to the truck, it can pivot a bit more to lift on one side.  It's a dual axle.

Figured I ask those that have the experience.

image.jpeg

I did the 2 stage boogie.

bottle jack to raise one side of either axle, put jack stand on axle tube, remove tire.

repeat process on same axle opposite side of the trailer.  
the jack stands on one axle and the tires remaining on the other provide stability and no lean .

did this without the truck connected.

i used 4 jack stands, the front jacks and rear stabilizers a couple weeks ago when i removed all 4 tires and replaced my leaf springs.  

Take the trailer to them and have it done, that's my mentality at my age.

Unless you enjoy doing it yourself, I used to enjoy stuff like this.

Take it to them and they'll do what they're good at.  Is you time and effort worth the double trip?  
Up and down the hill from Julian to Ramona with a trailer?  yes.  I have to make errand runs anyhow.  Not planning to do all tires in 1 day.

I did one side with two floor jacks and then did the other side,  

I have also used my hydraulic leveling jacks and did all six, but man it was schetchy   

when I had the tires on my trailer done, they (Discount tire) put the jacks under the frame in front and behind the axles.  in order to get the tires off of the ground they had to get it high enough to get it to full droop.  they did one side @ a time & the lean on the trailer when they went to get more jacks to do the other side, made me REALLY uncomfortable.  that trailer is old as hell & lots of wood inside of it, it was groaning & unhappy.......... I would not do that again. 

Were I to do it again, I would do it in my driveway & put the jacks under the axles.  they only need to go up an inch or 2 to get the bottom of the tire off of the ground. 

If you’re planning on doing them in 2 stages, why not just hook up your truck and drive one axle up some ramps. That’ll get the other axle off the ground. Remove those wheels and toss them in another vehicle. Rinse and repeat?

If you’re planning on doing them in 2 stages, why not just hook up your truck and drive one axle up some ramps. That’ll get the other axle off the ground. Remove those wheels and toss them in another vehicle. Rinse and repeat?
I've seen the videos where dude drive up on a small ramp or blocks to get the other wheel up. 

IMO the single best thing I bought for my trailer.  Not sure about doing both sides at one though... 

image.png

Shoot, with iit all parked and on leveling jacks.... just dig the sand out from under the 2 you want to replace and remove the wheels.  LOL 

Good info all.  I already have the new tires so there's even less incentive to take the trailer in.

Back