Recommendations for EFI System for LS??

kgwmu

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my EFI system next year, currently the car has a cut stock harness with stock ecu. The buggy has an NA LS2 with a 2D. I've been looking at the Holley systems, but I'm not familiar with all this EFI stuff. 

I'm looking for some recommendations on a new system and why you like it. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holley Terminator X on mine.

I did alot of research on efi kits... i took a gamble on the edelbrock pro flo xt kit and had nothing but a nightmare of a time with it.  Ultimately i never got the car running on it, and the system kept blowing relays, fuses and fried my brand new fuel pump.  Edelbrock kept blaming the issues on my install insinuating that i caused the problems and there was no way there kit would have an issue.  I ended up throwing all of that mess in the trash and bought the holley kit.  Engine fired on the first crank and i am super happy with it.

My only huge complaint on the Holley kit is that you can not use any sort of tablet for digital display.  They send the small 3" screen in the kit.  They have some nice digital dash options for a 7" and 12" screen but the 12" screen is over 2 grand which is ridiculous.  With technology these days there is no reason Holley shouldn't be able to have a bluetooth gauge interface through a tablet like other kits offer.  

Long story short- Go holley and dont look back.  Their kits also allow you to use boost (turbo or supercharger) 

Holley Terminator X here as well.

Holley quickly becoming the standard for almost any application.

I'm looking to upgrade my EFI system next year, currently the car has a cut stock harness with stock ecu. The buggy has an NA LS2 with a 2D. I've been looking at the Holley systems, but I'm not familiar with all this EFI stuff. 

I'm looking for some recommendations on a new system and why you like it. Thanks!
What is the stock system not doing for you?  For a mild NA LS2 a stock ECU (depending on which one it is) should do everything you want... UNLESS you want to have the nice complete system integration with a big digital dash and such.  If that's the case, can't really beat a Holley and your application a Terminator X sounds right.  The only reason I'd go with something other than a Holley if going aftermarket is if you want complete integration for the whole car, and will rewire it end to end.  That's what we're doing with my Funco, and I went Motec so I can run Motec PDMs to go all solid state (no relays, fuses or circuit breakers) and have diagnostics on all circuits available on the dash or via the button panels.  It's a whole different ballpark in cost though. 

-TJ

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the stock system not doing for you?  For a mild NA LS2 a stock ECU (depending on which one it is) should do everything you want... UNLESS you want to have the nice complete system integration with a big digital dash and such.  If that's the case, can't really beat a Holley and your application a Terminator X sounds right.  The only reason I'd go with something other than a Holley if going aftermarket is if you want complete integration for the whole car, and will rewiring it end to end.  That's what we're doing with my Funco, and I went Motec so I can run Motec PDMs to go all solid state (no relays, fuses or circuit breakers) and have diagnostics on all circuits available on the dash or via the button panels.  It's a whole different ballpark in cost though (we're talking ~30k of parts/labor into my car). 

-TJ
He could do a digital type dash with the OE ECU.  Just use the Bluetooth OBD adapter, Torque app, and a tablet.  It will do some pretty neat stuff.  Like, set points on individual gauges that will change color if they go beyond a parameter.  Gets too hot, temp gauge goes to bright red.  Want a shift light, take can change to yellow.

I set up one in my TBSS just for giggles.  Had it mounted below the radio.  See if I can find a pic.

i am using holley term x in my car. i spent the cash on the 12" pro dash cause thats what i wanted. the only other system i would consider is fueltech.

Fueltech is nice.  I have a FT450 that I'm going to wire up for a N/A Honda J series.  Will probably do the FT550 on the boosted one that will follow. 

He could do a digital type dash with the OE ECU.  Just use the Bluetooth OBD adapter, Torque app, and a tablet.  It will do some pretty neat stuff.  Like, set points on individual gauges that will change color if they go beyond a parameter.  Gets too hot, temp gauge goes to bright red.  Want a shift light, take can change to yellow.

I set up one in my TBSS just for giggles.  Had it mounted below the radio.  See if I can find a pic.
You're def right, but espec in a sand car I don't love the idea of that much system-to-system integration.  You have OE ECU, and OBD dongle deal to Bluetooth and some type of tablet going on.  I'm sure it would work most of the time, but it seems like a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong. 

-TJ

You'll be fine with a basic MEFI and harness. If you want to go bigger the Holley is a njce step up. 

I have a 402cui stroker LS2 w/Magnacharger making 5psi on E85. I have a MEFI 4A tuned by Redline and it works fine. I was going to upgrade to the Holley Terminator X but didn't have time during the off season. It's still sitting in a box on the shelf in my shop. 

You'll be fine with a basic MEFI and harness. 
I agree... and I even have a MEFI and harness available for sale, so I'd be well-served by suggesting this too.  But in reality, anything GM 0411 and newer has way more fidelity and tuneability than any of the common MEFI 4x we see in sand cars.  Yes, the MEFI is more sealed, and generally more vibration proof.  But even the factory computers meet various IEEE vibration, heat, water resistance standards that make them plenty good for our cars with appropriate mounting.  In other words, I'd rather have the GM computer the OP is already running than a MEFI (especially all the batch-fire stuff). 

-TJ

Holley hp here in two cars. The holly x should be fine for your application. Hp has more bells and whistles

holly hp as well.... the x wasn't out yet when i changed. the hp has some outputs if you want to have some switches on your digital dash

Just purchased a Holley Term x - you just need to pay attention to the crank trigger type (24 for 58) and the injector type (EV1 vs EV6) when ordering...different part numbers on the units based on that info. There's a base "Global File" for an LS engine - but after that, you will prob need to bring to a tuner or let the system "self learn".  The little screen that comes with it for configuring can also be used as a low tech dash too.  

The stock setup seems to be working, but it was not done very clean. I was started looking for a digital dash and noticed many people using these Holley setups. I may still keep the stock harness and try to clean it up. I like the idea of the self learning systems and keeping things simple in terms of connections, so I'm just trying to gather some info on what people like and why. 

The stock setup seems to be working, but it was not done very clean. I was started looking for a digital dash and noticed many people using these Holley setups. I may still keep the stock harness and try to clean it up. I like the idea of the self learning systems and keeping things simple in terms of connections, so I'm just trying to gather some info on what people like and why. 
Yeah, if you're going to go digital dash it's worth just doing the whole thing, and IMHO I'd use their harness.  You'll probably still need to modify the harness depending on the layout and ECU placement in your car, but it's a better starting point if yours is already hacked/not clean and make integration to the Holley direct.  

FWIW, more just for general knowledge in the thread, Holley does make stand-alone versions of their digital dashes that you could run even with a carb'ed setup if you wanted (just need the right sending units to feed it data).  

I think the Holley setup would serve you very well, my point about the stock one before is I wouldn't bother pulling out the GM stuff just to put MEFI in... and again I'm saying that as a guy that could try to sell you the MEFI I just took out of mine, but I don't think it's the right thing for you.

-TJ

Just purchased a Holley Term x - you will prob need to bring to a tuner or let the system "self learn".   
So question on this, I've heard of this very thing but let's say on my stock LS1 would it self learn enough to eliminate a tune session? Seems redundant. What about when I go to 500hp 😆 will it keep self learning? 

So question on this, I've heard of this very thing but let's say on my stock LS1 would it self learn enough to eliminate a tune session? Seems redundant. What about when I go to 500hp 😆 will it keep self learning? 
There was some discussion about this on the old board.  One guy said he picked up 200HP (IIRC) by having a legit dyno tune done after the self learn.

Back