Re-Construction - Truggy Build

Dune-Track-N

Reaction score
Couldn't decide which forum Buggy or Jeep tech  :dunno:  but since it won't have many Jeep parts technically it's a Truggy although it was originally a Sand Jeep.....

Reconstructing what used to look like this. I didn't get any of the body parts only an almost rolling chassis. I've had this for about 5yrs sitting in the back yard.
Gonna have to tweak a bunch to make this work for me but it's a great start.19943051_1387475294655443_8451471115349159600_o.jpg

Current situation
IMG_1888.JPGIMG_1887.JPG

BUILD Specs

Junk yard LS using the SBC mounts
TH400
Ford 9"

Current wheelbase is approx 96" gonna make it 105-110 hopefully.
Hate the front spindle design.
IMG_1303.JPGIMG_1305.JPG
the 4-link mounts won't work with the 1-1/4" heims I have, so gonna order new 4-link brackets and scab them on' gotta make the 4-link bars, that's where I can stretch the wheelbase
the axle I got is only 53" wide, I have another trussed 9" that's 65" wide. gotta mock them up and see which one works best for articulated travel
IMG_2163.JPG

Big items to purchase are
spindles - brakes
SHOCKS (hopefully some IBP's from a SxS), need 35" eyelet to eyelet
Trans shifter Kilduff ratchet
standard dirt wheels/tires
wire harness
LED lighting
all the little nickle and dime parts...

Winter 2022 - Halloween is the goal. History has told me to be realistic and it will be 2024 but you have to set the goal to get there.

IMG_2153.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yea man. Do it to it! Those things are beasts!! 

I have an ls2 that would go perfect in that. Wiring harness and all. 

Potential for an epic thread....subscribed!

Got some parts ordered.

SBC mounts
LS to TH400 flywheel
LINK mounts (for my 1-1/4" hiems) and a bunch of tabs for fab work
R2228-full.jpg

A705C948-C82E-4C92-960A-B84425FFB986.jpeg

Did a bunch of YOUTUBING on TH400 mods since I'm gonna order this. Can't decide on standard or reverse valve body. Pretty sure standard will feel the best when you bump the stick and it moves the same as you bump thru gears.
Ratchet Bitch Shifter from Kilduff
s377515856340153238_p23_i13_w3456.jpeg

Motor mounts showed up, and fit the existing chassis mounting point!

scored some DONKs today, not sure if the 18" wheel is gonna work but couldn't pass the deal up for 5 of them
35-37"x18" tires will be more difficult to source, but probably just have a 35" "street setup" with them, who knows

IMG_1897.JPGIMG_1896.JPG

Did a ton of interweb searching and I've decided to get some Jeep JK knuckles, hubs, brakes to replace the funky GM spindle (doesn't fit the stock jeep offset). This gets me 5x5 lug patterns and simple replacement parts when needed with no fab work. $6-800 total investment and it the Jeep wheels.
Current spindle spacing is approx 9.25" these are 9.06" so close enough to work that out with heim hi-misalignments.

cwa-5011976k_xl.jpg

Nice! Keep them coming. I'm thinking this is what I would like to try and build next also.  A truggy. Right now I'm working on a overland RV 4x4 1980  BB427 GMC 7000. I will post some pictures 

got the engine out of the corner and looked it over
ordered new engine urethane mounts, bolted up the SBC adapters, removed the PS pump
dropped the wire harness on loose to find all the right/missing items
IMG_1902.JPGIMG_1903.JPG
This WARR (I think they resell someone's with their sticker on it) wire harness is real nicely done, my buddy who did his own harness was jealous mostly that I didn't spend an entire weekend chopping and cutting a stock harness...
IMG_1904.JPG

Gonna need a few items to test fire in a couple weekends
Belt tensioner
heater hose bypass loop
EGR block offs
EVAP block off
Water temp sensor
fuel rail regulator block off
MAF
2x O2 sensors, plus a short pipe for them to mount in
big intake block off next to EVAP???

Probably run by the pick-a-part and steal some stock items. exhaust pipes, O2s, sensors

does anyone know what this port is called/used for, is there a block off plate? No wires from the harness... google images and parts search came up with ziltch
below the EVAP port

image.png

it might save you in the long run, but the Terminator X, works really well, 

I have an ls2 that would go perfect in that. Wiring harness and all. 
it might save you in the long run, but the Terminator X, works really well, 
Thanks guys but I have had an engine sitting for a few years with a harness and deleted vats factory ecm. When I need the power upgrade then I'll be on the hunt for options.
I've had 60% of this buggy sitting for the past 4-6yrs for multiple projects when I thought "self you have 60% of that rig in three projects, build this ONE"...

Also do not use the heater hose by pass loop!!!!!

this will bypass 30% of the water that should go to the radiator, 

Spend the time to do it correct,  3/8 tap and 1/2 tap, do not need to drill or just run vacuum caps 

Spend the time to do it correct,  3/8 tap and 1/2 tap, do not need to drill or just run vacuum caps 
I'd plug them properly or be careful on what caps you run.  I've seen those vacuum caps from the HELP! section at O'Reilly's fail way too often.  One of the looped hoses with a marble in it (too large to fit into the metal nipples) would solve the radiator bypass issue.

I'd plug them properly or be careful on what caps you run.  I've seen those vacuum caps from the HELP! section at O'Reilly's fail way too often.  One of the looped hoses with a marble in it (too large to fit into the metal nipples) would solve the radiator bypass issue.
I guess I'll have to do more research. My buddy just have the bypass hose on his medium fast rock buggy with no issues.

THESE LINK BRACKETS ARE YUGE!!!!  :rbj:

IMG_1917.JPG

Back