Raptor 250 project?

endobear

Reaction score
Found a 2011 250r Se for my son. 

It's in pretty good shape but it oil smokes  when cold. 

I'm a 2 stroke guy but im thinking it's the valve guides. Maybe rings?

Where do I go from here? Compression test? Tear the head off and just do valve seals? Which seals are best? Do I replace the timing chain while it's apart?

Plan to maybe do a big bore ported motor in it after he rides it for a couple seasons so I'd rather not go to crazy replacing parts right out the gate.20211127_165220.jpg

Check the valves as they like to get out of whack on those Raptor 250s.   My kid rode one for several years.   Putting the DASA pipe and a jet kit really helped wake that bike up.  

Check the valves as they like to get out of whack on those Raptor 250s.   My kid rode one for several years.   Putting the DASA pipe and a jet kit really helped wake that bike up.  
Check the Valve lash? 

It's got a little stumble on the top end. The plan was to rebuild the carb and dial in the jetting. Previous owners let it sit for 6 years and didn't know if it had ever been jetted for the pipe and altitude.

I'll look into doing a jet kit.

Getting the jetting right on the 250 helps a lot.   My bet is it was never jetted by the previous owner. 

I would check the valve lash and guides.  Poor bike has been sitting a long time.      

Next ‽

Which paddles and what size.

I was leaning towards the Scat Trac Gliders. 20×10x8 6 paddle but was not sure if that's enough paddle.

The Haulers come in a 20x10x9 8 paddle but I worry that's to much.

I like the idea of the lightweight Scats but maybe I should look at something else.  

Next ‽

Which paddles and what size.

I was leaning towards the Scat Trac Gliders. 20×10x8 6 paddle but was not sure if that's enough paddle.

The Haulers come in a 20x10x9 8 paddle but I worry that's to much.

I like the idea of the lightweight Scats but maybe I should look at something else.  
If you go gliders do a 10 paddle, 6 won't be enough for the gliders.   will run the Hauler 8 but you can always order a 7 paddle.   

Buddy's kid climbed Olds no problem with molded China paddles like ITPs.  Probably over-thinking it. :biggrin:

Ya, I'd get the cheapest set of paddles you can find, 2nd hand.  If you need to brainstorm paddles and size for a kids quad, that means it's time for a full size bike.

My kid is running som heavy sand sharks. He’s able to dine it decent. I’m sure a better paddle will help but I don’t even know where to get a set of non China quad paddles anymore. 

Buddy's kid climbed Olds no problem with molded China paddles like ITPs.  Probably over-thinking it. :biggrin:
Yeah. I tend to over think things.

Good to know it will climb China Wall.

Yeah. I tend to over think things.

Good to know it will climb China Wall.
Kid rode it up Olds, not China...

His dad did ride the kid's older sister's 250 up China Wall, once.  Took about 6 tries, LOL.

Ya, I'd get the cheapest set of paddles you can find, 2nd hand.  If you need to brainstorm paddles and size for a kids quad, that means it's time for a full size bike.
Twins are 11 and only about 80 lbs so a bigger quad is out for a couple more years. 

My thought was to throw as light of a paddle setup on as I could to keep the power up without going  into the motor.

A set of used ITP paddles found me so I'll give them a shot. 

If the bike won't pull 4th and 5th I'll regear it.

My kid is running som heavy sand sharks. He’s able to dine it decent. I’m sure a better paddle will help but I don’t even know where to get a set of non China quad paddles anymore. 
My search for a set of Skat Trak Haulers or Gliders in the right size and paddle count came up empty.

My 105lb 10 year old this week on his raptor 250 with some sand sharks. He’s not very good at working the gears as he should. We’re working on him getting a feel for the motor sounds and how it’s pulling so he can understand his shift points. I definitely think a better set of paddles are needed but I’m not sure he would notice. And in his head I’m sure he’s more worried about what number gear he is in as to what part of the powerband. 

View attachment IMG_3289.MOV

My 105lb 10 year old this week on his raptor 250 with some sand sharks. He’s not very good at working the gears as he should. We’re working on him getting a feel for the motor sounds and how it’s pulling so he can understand his shift points. I definitely think a better set of paddles are needed but I’m not sure he would notice. And in his head I’m sure he’s more worried about what number gear he is in as to what part of the powerband. 

View attachment 22614
Bummer. Videos not opening for me.

I got it to load just took awhile to actually start playing 

Back