Raising an RV garage header!

You could look into a bifold hangar door, as they open out, and I don't think they require much overhead clearance at all.
Yep this is already on the table as I figured the headroom will be a problem. 

Impossible to give educated advice without more info. (pics would help) As already said, you will need to build a temporary wall a few feet inside to support the roof. Could be as easy as removing the header with  new, longer posts under, but its also possible that you have steel posts supporting the  header in which case it would be a bigger job. When you have a large opening like that, structurally, the biggest issue is providing shear value to the wall. ie. steel post with possible grade beam under the slab, Hardy frames, or if you lucky just standard plywood shear paneling. First thing you should do is to remove the drywall at both upper interior corners exposing the post to beam connection and show us what you have. Better yet, see if you can find plans of a similar model that will show how it was built in the first place. 

Look at the header material you may be able to change it out to a steel beam if its a wood beam and pick up some height that way. I raised both of my existing garage door headers when I redid my house. I was able to just raise the existing headers and change the trim studs. But yes everybody is correct about building a wall to support the roof then raise the header and remove the temp wall pretty simple bit of framing. 

You are definitely right on the door. i just waited 4.5 months for a new door (granted it was custom) but EVERYTHING is back order right now
30 days for a new door if it is a normal size and style, just got a new one this week.

I just had a pole building built in my back yard and from floor to bottom of rafters is 14.3 and I could not do a 14' door I had to go 12''.I did not care as im not putting my toy hauler in it anyway but did want a 14' door....then the garage door custom crap and the Waite I said the hell with it its not worth it.cheaper to let the camper sit outside and let the roof dry rot and in 8 years worry about replacing it if you still own it.

Back