Radio for the Jeep & Moho - CB or?

matt86m

Reaction score
Thinking about a hand held radio that I can use in the Jeep or MoHo. A lot of people still have cb's and some have other radios.

What have you found common on the trail?

A decent hand held cb is $100+-

A dedicated radio is $200? (vhf/uhf)

Suggestions?

Main use would be on the trail to talk to others in line and some distance back to camp.

Last edited by a moderator:
& FWIW, I ended up going with the longer antennae, because of how I had it buried between the seats, not sure it actually helped.  LOL. 

I charged it before the weekend & turned it on & off for each ride, it would last all weekend.  IIRC you can get a remote mounded antennae from Rugged that will connect right do it. 

Looks like they have a bazillion options for cords on their amazon store. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/7700E199-7D1C-4162-9AB6-7320F0E69892/search?ref_=ast_bln&terms=cord

we have a number of these in our camp.  they work surprisingly well.  normally we can talk from wash 10 to Olds (and other locations) without problem.

I used one of these & a PTT headset from Rugged, for years in my VeeWee Buggy. 

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F8HP-Two-Way-136-174Mhz-400-520Mhz/dp/B00MAULSOK?ref_=ast_sto_dp
I have these as well.  Use them when were on Powell to coordinate between the house and small boats.  Longer antennas here too.

You guys are GOOD!!!

Thank you!

I'm thinking the 15'' antenna may be a bit much inside the Jeep. Probably poke my eye out! :lol:  

& FWIW, I ended up going with the longer antennae, because of how I had it buried between the seats, not sure it actually helped.  LOL. 

I charged it before the weekend & turned it on & off for each ride, it would last all weekend.  IIRC you can get a remote mounded antennae from Rugged that will connect right do it. 

Looks like they have a bazillion options for cords on their amazon store. https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/7700E199-7D1C-4162-9AB6-7320F0E69892/search?ref_=ast_bln&terms=cord

I have these as well.  Use them when were on Powell to coordinate between the house and small boats.  Longer antennas here too.
This one has a " V-85 High Gain Antenna (Twice the Antenna Performance 

I wonder if it the same as both of you have?

I have a crap load of those cheap baofeng rechargeable radios. They have decent range, battery lasts all day and then some and they're really small and fit in your pocket. Only like $20-$25 a pair. They have like 16 channels I think

The correct 14" antenna is NA-771. I didn't see the link to the V-85 antenna, but it doesn't sound right.

Also, they sell the original 5w Baofeng and a newer 8w unit which looks the same, obviously the extra 3 watts comes in handy, make sure the ad specifically states 8w. If you buy a 2 - pack of radios, they're (usually) cheaper and you and your spotter can use them to help you crawl or park, etc. The batteries last quite a long time, you could very easily get an entire weekend out of one charge.

I have a crap load of those cheap baofeng rechargeable radios. They have decent range, battery lasts all day and then some and they're really small and fit in your pocket. Only like $20-$25 a pair. They have like 16 channels I think
If it's only 16 channels, then it's not the Baofeng UV-5r. They can be programmed with 128 channels.

If it's only 16 channels, then it's not the Baofeng UV-5r. They can be programmed with 128 channels.
They're the cheapest ones #888 I think. Like 2 watts. Realistically over 1/2 mile radius they don't work very good if there's a lot of obstructions. But for the price they're not bad. If one gets lost, broken or wet it's no big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're the cheapest ones #888 I think. Like 2 watts. Realistically over 1/2 mile radius they don't work very good if there's a lot of obstructions. But for the price they're not bad. If one gets lost, broken or wet it's no big deal.
I usually buy the 2- pack of 8w radios for less than $30 ea. The extra power is really handy and for that price, it's a really good deal with the added range of the NA-771 antenna. I program mine with 112 race channels, so I'm not stuck listening to all of the chatter on the more common channels.

The correct 14" antenna is NA-771. I didn't see the link to the V-85 antenna, but it doesn't sound right.

Also, they sell the original 5w Baofeng and a newer 8w unit which looks the same, obviously the extra 3 watts comes in handy, make sure the ad specifically states 8w. If you buy a 2 - pack of radios, they're (usually) cheaper and you and your spotter can use them to help you crawl or park, etc. The batteries last quite a long time, you could very easily get an entire weekend out of one charge.
Upgrades from our Previous Generation UV-5R: Twice the Output Power (8 watts up from 4 watts output), New Hardened Durable Radio Shell, 30% Larger Battery, V-85 High Gain Antenna (Twice the Antenna Performance),

Upgrades from our Previous Generation UV-5R: Twice the Output Power (8 watts up from 4 watts output), New Hardened Durable Radio Shell, 30% Larger Battery, V-85 High Gain Antenna (Twice the Antenna Performance),
Ive got to go to PCI this week. I am returning a Helmet I bought for Babette. I was going to exchange it for two of their handheld radios. LMK if you want to run over there.

I asked about the antenna height and they said it makes no difference on the 5W radios.  I was looking at the Kenwood ones they had.

Back