QUESTIONS ON CHEROKEE’S

Big_Daddy_Jp

Reaction score
So I’m thinking about buying a used jeep. First I was looking at wranglers. Then I started thinking about a Cherokee. I like the cherokee because it’s longer wheel base for ocotillo wells open desert jamin and the creature comforts that seem to come along with them like leather interior. I decided I also want an automatic and the Cherokee seems to be quite a bit cheaper than wranglers. My questions are for guys that have or had a Cherokee. What are the downfalls vs a wrangler, what kind of long arm kit would you get, what to stay away from? I’m looking at a few early 2000 grand cherokees. Thank you

I thought this was about Indians never mind.  :coocoo:

They are a good platform. The unibody would need to be stiffened. And depending on the type of wheeling you do 35s will work on those axles. As for long arm kit I like the iron rock off-road stuff. 

They are a good platform. The unibody would need to be stiffened. And depending on the type of wheeling you do 35s will work on those axles. As for long arm kit I like the iron rock off-road stuff. 
i love mine, good for a tall person. look for a limited with power and leather seat. iron rock or clayton for long arm kit.

i only do trails and sand wash stuff so for me it is perfect. you can also get wild like tj06 did with his, maybe someone

can recover the thread he posted, it had lots of good info

IMG_5689.JPG

IMG_5693.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

So after the suggestions I looked up Iron Rock and I like the 6.5” long arm kit front and rear. Probably run 33” tires? What do you guys think of that combo?

So after the suggestions I looked up Iron Rock and I like the 6.5” long arm kit front and rear. Probably run 33” tires? What do you guys think of that combo?
I had an Xj on 35s with a 5.5 Deaver coils and 4.5” rubicon express leafs in the rear. I actually had to take a leaf out too. But I had a weird hanger.  I think 6.5 is tall for an Xj on 33s but I like to be as low as I can. 

Also I liked jcr for frame stiffeners and bumpers. 

Don't do it... Everybody knows they are not REAL jeeps and will make fun of you. Your friends and family will leave you for some guy with a mullet and a YJ on 37s.  It will be a long, slow, painful fall. 

But if you have to do it,  read everything you can FIRST...then find a project somebody started and lost interest in....will save you $$$ and time.  There is a reason some off road parts cost more that others....it's because they're worth it.  

Good luck....have you thought about perhaps a Meth habit  instead? 

Don't do it... Everybody knows they are not REAL jeeps and will make fun of you. Your friends and family will leave you for some guy with a mullet and a YJ on 37s.  It will be a long, slow, painful fall. 

But if you have to do it,  read everything you can FIRST...then find a project somebody started and lost interest in....will save you $$$ and time.  There is a reason some off road parts cost more that others....it's because they're worth it.  

Good luck....have you thought about perhaps a Meth habit  instead? 
I’m not sure if what your saying is from personal experience or just for fun! I have a buddy with a Cherokee that does some mean ass crawling! It goes through some nastier Crap than I would ever attempt so that’s what’s sold me. This will be for some light to mediocre crawling. More for cruising off-road and sight seeing to spend time with my dad. He has a wrangler and likes to take his wife sight seeing around plaster city, superstition, ocotillo, and salton sea. It’s boring following them in my xpt. So I want something more his speed and street legal to go more places with them. As for money, I can pick up a used cherokee for around $4k-$5k. Throw another $2500 - $3000 at it for lift and tires and that’s about it. Like all off-road toys, I’m sure it will end up being a money pit!

So I’m thinking about buying a used jeep. First I was looking at wranglers. Then I started thinking about a Cherokee. I like the cherokee because it’s longer wheel base for ocotillo wells open desert jamin and the creature comforts that seem to come along with them like leather interior. I decided I also want an automatic and the Cherokee seems to be quite a bit cheaper than wranglers. My questions are for guys that have or had a Cherokee. What are the downfalls vs a wrangler, what kind of long arm kit would you get, what to stay away from? I’m looking at a few early 2000 grand cherokees. Thank you
so do you want a cherokee or a grand cherokee?

I’m looking at a few early 2000 grand cherokees

so do you want a cherokee or a grand cherokee?

I’m looking at a few early 2000 grand cherokees
You will have to excuse me as I’ve never owned a Jeep before. As I stated and you quoted, I’m looking at grand Cherokee’s. I like the body style better and more creature comforts. 

i had a 99 cherokee with a 6.5' lift and 33's

probably the best vehicle i ever had. only thing i ever did to it in probably 6 years was replace heater core. 

a/c would freeze you out, heat could bake bread, probably put 150k on it and it never let me down. great vehicles with the inline 6, 99 was the good year, 2000 i think had head issues.

only reason i sold it was my son was to get it and he was 6'2 at the time and prob 300lbs (offensive lineman) and wasn't to comfortable for him so I sold it and bought him a crew cab truck.

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3190.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
should be fine with minimal cutting

i am on 32.5s with a 4.5 short arm rustys kit 

I’m not sure if what your saying is from personal experience or just for fun! I have a buddy with a Cherokee that does some mean ass crawling! It goes through some nastier Crap than I would ever attempt so that’s what’s sold me. This will be for some light to mediocre crawling. More for cruising off-road and sight seeing to spend time with my dad. He has a wrangler and likes to take his wife sight seeing around plaster city, superstition, ocotillo, and salton sea. It’s boring following them in my xpt. So I want something more his speed and street legal to go more places with them. As for money, I can pick up a used cherokee for around $4k-$5k. Throw another $2500 - $3000 at it for lift and tires and that’s about it. Like all off-road toys, I’m sure it will end up being a money pit!
Read then read more.... nothing is "simple" when it comes to jeeps, be they TJ, LJ, XJ or Grand Cherokees...they all have their issues and problems...Taking a stock unibody rig to Off road capable is more work than a simple lift and tires... Other stuff will pop up...hence the reading.  Every XJ we have in our group has lost it's steering box mounts...not hard to fix or prevent but one of those things you really have to do.  The granders have their own special needs.  But like I said, I went the stock to Rock experience....should have waited and just found one already done...would have been at least 1/3 cheaper.   

Read then read more.... nothing is "simple" when it comes to jeeps, be they TJ, LJ, XJ or Grand Cherokees...they all have their issues and problems...Taking a stock unibody rig to Off road capable is more work than a simple lift and tires... Other stuff will pop up...hence the reading.  Every XJ we have in our group has lost it's steering box mounts...not hard to fix or prevent but one of those things you really have to do.  The granders have their own special needs.  But like I said, I went the stock to Rock experience....should have waited and just found one already done...would have been at least 1/3 cheaper.   
x2. however you will be hard pressed to find a lifted wj and i have seen a few that were done right going for 15k

if you have the skills tho i say go for it. find a nice limited v8, break out the welder and the 100 dollar bills.

they also flat tow nice and are way more plush than any other jeep

IMG_4174.JPG

I thought you wanted a square body 5.0 …? 

I thought you wanted a square body 5.0 …? 
Well I’ve been looking and can’t seem to find any in my price range or not completely beat up. I’ve wanted one since high school so what’s another couple more years right?!!!

Back