Quad suggestions

Mellen_GTX

Reaction score
My daughter is 14 and has been riding a warrior 350 for a couple seasons.    Looking to step up to something with more suspension and hp.    Suggestions? 

While a 400 EX or LT400 would have more suspension & HP it wouldn't be that much more.  So just go ahead and step up to the 450 avoid Kawi and Suzuki and you should be fine, just find one that has not been molested and is bone stock.  The TRX is a great bike and the later year YFZ that are fuel injected are dam near perfect quads IMHO.

I would probably go with the TRX they seem to have more of a plush/ soft ride to them.

For a 14 year old I would not go to a 700 it is just to much bike. 

Go find her a nice used Yamaha 450.   They have great suspension and good power.  There are quite a few used ones out there with after market suspension.   

I think you have to look at the ability of the rider, not just her age. I don't think you can wrong with a nice Yamaha 450 or even a 700. There isn't a ton of difference between them. I put my son on a 700 when he was 14. He took it easy until he got his confidence. Now the torque of the 700 is great for him. And, of course, depends what type of riding she does. 

09 or newer yfz 450 (for the FI), stock its quite a ride, great suspension smooth power delivery, low to the ground and it already has LT stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying this, we all know the 450's are light, peppy and sporty but are ticking time bomb's. As she has been riding a heavy 350 warrior step up to the 700 and you'll be done. Has the power, torque to go anywhere in 3rd gear and girls don't gear shift much.

"HJ"      :ex:       :cheers:

I think you have to look at the ability of the rider, not just her age. I don't think you can wrong with a nice Yamaha 450 or even a 700. There isn't a ton of difference between them. I put my son on a 700 when he was 14. He took it easy until he got his confidence. Now the torque of the 700 is great for him. And, of course, depends what type of riding she does. 
The Raptor is nice, but it is heavy and sits up higher than a 450.  Plus it is narrower.   The Yamaha 450R is 50" wide and sits lower.  Less chance of them flipping it and getting tossed.  Those Raptor 700s have lots of torque.  

I know I'm going to get hate mail for saying this, we all know the 450's are light, peppy and sporty but are ticking time bomb's. As she has been riding a heavy 350 warrior step up to the 700 and you'll be done. Has the power, torque to go anywhere in 3rd gear and girls don't gear shift much.

"HJ"      :ex:       :cheers:
You must be referring to Honda 450s :P

276168132_4970827843001875_1016748780989444513_n.jpg

No the big guy's rode the DS650 it was their 11 year old kid who weighed 75lbs with $75 in quarters in his pockets rode the Banshee's.
Oh the good old days of watching a 75lb 11 year old hanging on for dear life on a drag banshee as his dad or uncle threw them on it to race up Olds.  LMAO!!!

Now a days all I see are husky dudes on the Banshees.  Maybe they were that 75lb kid all grown out.  LOL!!!

I miss the banshee girl that would show up with the pink binki top.  

Can’t go wrong with the Honda TRX, always a good choice.  I would recommend the yfz 450r.  Yes, race ready, and much better in suspension, handling, weight, stability,  and ride-ability, even for the beginning rider.  With that, it is much easier to pick lines, make turns,  handles rougher terrain better, and the power band is broad enough, for a slower rider, to learn and use it for what you are looking for. Leave it stock, throw on some paddles, and you are good.  BUT, if your not sure, find some people that have a 450, Raptor, or whatever quad is recommended, and see if they will let you try them.  My recommendation is the YFZ450R. 

Oh the good old days of watching a 75lb 11 year old hanging on for dear life on a drag banshee as his dad or uncle threw them on it to race up Olds.  LMAO!!!

Now a days all I see are husky dudes on the Banshees.  Maybe they were that 75lb kid all grown out.  LOL!!!

I miss the banshee girl that would show up with the pink binki top.  
I was one of those kids. With the kill switch cord wrapped around his waist. 

Ltz 400 are great quads for her. Dylan has one although he could use a 450 but daughter also rides the 400 around camp too she don’t go fast just cruises. 

09 or newer yfz 450 (for the FI), stock its quite a ride, great suspension smooth power delivery, low to the ground and it already has LT stock.
That’s what I did for my 15 year old. 09 YFZ450. She loves it… Dad loves the EFI.

abc

755A6DDF-0F73-46DD-A954-93503A1F2937.jpeg

Back