PRO R Power Mods

Big_Daddy_Jp

Reaction score
Looking for some first hand knowledge. Eventually I would like to boost this biatch but until that kind of money rolls in I’m looking for some bolts ons!! See what I did there! So Bikeman looks to have some nice stage kits. What I’m looking for is exhaust, clutching, and tune. As for tune, I would like something I can have my buddy tune not a pre made tune. For exhaust, I’ve seen that headers don’t do a hill of beans but there are a ton of slip on options. I like the looks of the HMF. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the RPM sport muffler and damn it sounds good, but loud as a MF'r. I wear earplug headphones inside my helmet.   I use my stock exhaust with knocked out cat for local dirt trips because the RPM is just that loud.  

Bikeman tune, throttle body bore and clutch kit really woke up my car and it rips!  It definitely uses more fuel by a few gallons over a stock car in the sand.  Adding their cam this summer for even more fun.  Dont know about self tuning as thats far above my head.  

I ride with a guy who has a Boondocker turbo and he could not get it to run right at all, he had to have Whalen Speed send him their tune to get it to run right at all.  But dammit his car at 340ish hp is quite a bit faster than mine at 270ish.   Another guy has the Bikeman tune with cams and clutch kit and he is right in the middle of us with some great mid range power.  

I have the RPM sport muffler and damn it sounds good, but loud as a MF'r. I wear earplug headphones inside my helmet.   I use my stock exhaust with knocked out cat for local dirt trips because the RPM is just that loud.  

Bikeman tune, throttle body bore and clutch kit really woke up my car and it rips!  It definitely uses more fuel by a few gallons over a stock car in the sand.  Adding their cam this summer for even more fun.  Dont know about self tuning as thats far above my head.  

I ride with a guy who has a Boondocker turbo and he could not get it to run right at all, he had to have Whalen Speed send him their tune to get it to run right at all.  But dammit his car at 340ish hp is quite a bit faster than mine at 270ish.   Another guy has the Bikeman tune with cams and clutch kit and he is right in the middle of us with some great mid range power.  
Ya Bikeman making 300hp n/a sounds like a great time! If I did that I wouldnt boost my car. I figured a quick 270 should make me happy for a bit! As for exhaust, I’m willing to lose a couple hp to keep it quieter. It’s loud enough stock compared to my turbo XP! Did your throttle body and clutch kit come from Bikeman also? Was the clutching spot on or did you have to spend a weekend tuning it?

We did the Bikeman Stage 3 kit plus the Bikeman throttle body, and EVO header pipe. It made a very noticeable increase in power, the throttle response is awesome. The Bikeman exhaust is LOUD, they do sell a quiet plug I need to try out. 

Bikeman tune and cam and call it a day.  The car rips with that combo.    Mega and I camp with the guy with the turbo on his Pro R.   Turbo once he got it dialed in by Whalen rips on E85 and even his 91 tune.   He is still messing with the clutching to get it really dialed in.  

Between Mega and our buddy you hear nothing but their cars for miles with the loud ass exhaust. 

I'm a bunch out of the loop on SXS chit, but 300 n/a out of a 2.0l?....on pump gas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bikeman tune and cam and call it a day.  The car rips with that combo.    Mega and I camp with the guy with the turbo on his Pro R.   Turbo once he got it dialed in by Whalen rips on E85 and even his 91 tune.   He is still messing with the clutching to get it really dialed in.  

Between Mega and our buddy you hear nothing but their cars for miles with the loud ass exhaust. 
So tune and cam set up with stock clutch and exhaust? I was looking at kraftwerks supercharger low boost kit. They say pump gas, 8psi boost, at 350hp. 

Ya Bikeman making 300hp n/a sounds like a great time! If I did that I wouldnt boost my car. I figured a quick 270 should make me happy for a bit! As for exhaust, I’m willing to lose a couple hp to keep it quieter. It’s loud enough stock compared to my turbo XP! Did your throttle body and clutch kit come from Bikeman also? Was the clutching spot on or did you have to spend a weekend tuning it?
Yes, Bikemnan throttle body bore, springs, dune helix and their snyper weights.  They have a chart and i followed it with no changes.  I run a Packard 33" paddle tire that is more of a square tire and i can slide the car around and have fun.  Im really impressed with their whole kit.  

So tune and cam set up with stock clutch and exhaust? I was looking at kraftwerks supercharger low boost kit. They say pump gas, 8psi boost, at 350hp. 
Here is a link to Bikeman's 300hp kit.   It is a good bang for the buck.   

https://bikemanperformance.com/polaris-pror-stage3-kit.html

Friend's turbo set up is pretty nice once he got the tuning from Whalen.   Just seems with either aftermarket turbo or even a supercharger kit you will always tinkering with it.   

I’ve looked at all of Bikemans kits. It’s what got me thinking about building more reliable power vs boosting. I’m probably gonna just do exhaust, clutching, and tune. When I need more, I can add the cam and throttle body. 

SxS, even the best of them, leave a lot to be desired don't they? Still cheaper than a 20 year old clapped out sand rail I suppose.  

Had I not been heavily invested in non recoverable money in a sand rail project, I'd probably buy a Pro R too. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There still isn’t a replacement for a proper sand rail in the dunes. I can say that my pro r has more suspension travel than my last v8 sand car. Out of the box, the pro r suspension works way better than my v8:car did as well. The maintenance on the SXS is way less than the sandrail also. Price for repairs is a ton cheaper along with being able to go to a dealer and buy parts to repair the SXS if need be. The best band for the buck is being able to use the SXS in the dunes, out at the hard pack, and rock crawling. So if you want to play in all of the playground’s available and only need one toy, than the SXS is your choice. If you only go to the dunes, stick with a sand rail.

There still isn’t a replacement for a proper sand rail in the dunes. I can say that my pro r has more suspension travel than my last v8 sand car. Out of the box, the pro r suspension works way better than my v8:car did as well. The maintenance on the SXS is way less than the sandrail also. Price for repairs is a ton cheaper along with being able to go to a dealer and buy parts to repair the SXS if need be. The best band for the buck is being able to use the SXS in the dunes, out at the hard pack, and rock crawling. So if you want to play in all of the playground’s available and only need one toy, than the SXS is your choice. If you only go to the dunes, stick with a sand rail.
I’ve had multiple rails & SXSs, other than trying to chase John @ Outfront around in the dunes the Pro-R will hang just fine with buggies.

You’re 100% correct though, SXSs aren’t long travel V8 based sand cars. The biggest mistake I’ve seen is the folks switching over to SXSs taking the same lines they did in a sand car in the dunes. With a little imagination you can take lines that allow you to keep your speed up and stay in line with the sand cars.

The biggest difference I’ve seen is the margin for error in a SXS is way less than it is in a sand car.

I’ve had roughly 6 sand cars that didn’t have as good suspension as the Pro-R does right out of the box, I paid a lot of money to get my other car’s suspension tuned to get them to handle as well / better than the Pro-R.

I’ve had multiple rails & SXSs, other than trying to chase John @ Outfront around in the dunes the Pro-R will hang just fine with buggies.

You’re 100% correct though, SXSs aren’t long travel V8 based sand cars. The biggest mistake I’ve seen is the folks switching over to SXSs taking the same lines they did in a sand car in the dunes. With a little imagination you can take lines that allow you to keep your speed up and stay in line with the sand cars.

The biggest difference I’ve seen is the margin for error in a SXS is way less than it is in a sand car.

I’ve had roughly 6 sand cars that didn’t have as good suspension as the Pro-R does right out of the box, I paid a lot of money to get my other car’s suspension tuned to get them to handle as well / better than the Pro-R.
I totally agree with this. I can still haul the mail in my Pro R but this is also at Gordon’s. The dunes there are tighter with less big bowls for the big sand cars to pull away. Glamis is a different animal. So choosing lines will help you to keep up. The biggest factor I think is being a seasoned sand car driver getting into a SXS vs a newbie in a SXS. A lot of people don’t understand the art of duning. My nephew races SXS’s and is damn good at it with tons of titles to show for it. Get him out in the dunes and he keeps up just fine following but can’t lead. He doesn’t have enough seat time out there for leading.

I’ve had the Packard supercharger and it was nothing but problems. I feel that unless you are I. Their group the customer service leaves a lot to be desired. 

I have the Kraftwerks SC now and other than a self induced blown SC belt it is waaaay over than the Packard. Its 325ish crank and is a blast here in the Oregon dunes. 

I’ve had the Packard supercharger and it was nothing but problems. I feel that unless you are I. Their group the customer service leaves a lot to be desired. 

I have the Kraftwerks SC now and other than a self induced blown SC belt it is waaaay over than the Packard. Its 325ish crank and is a blast here in the Oregon dunes. 
How much was the kit and what else did you have to buy? I have been looking at doing the bikeman or possibly the kraftwerks. But curious what the total cost is for the SC kit all done ready to go? Also how is the clutching? What all did you do for clutching?

Kevin

Back