Prepping the J&J

So I have a sweet little aluminum J&J sandcar that I bought from my father in law years back, and have never taken it out.  Well I am planning on bringing it out for presidents, and need to do some prep.  I already ordered a mullet from amazon, and will bring some tall cans.... so I am 90% there on the prep game lol.  So for the other 10%.... I'd like to get a spare belt, and replace the battery.

1.  Are all belts the same for a VW? what should I be ordering and from where?  It is a 2276 motor (I was told)

2. what battery should I go with... I would like it to be semi light weight, but have enough cranking amps to fire the thing over no problem.  Current battery box fits a battery that is about 5"x7.5" and about 6.25" tall 

3.Need to get a whip.... does anyone still sell the oldschool whips with a bulb on the top? or should I run a newer LED?

View attachment 95637View attachment 95638View attachment 95639
that's ONE BAD ASS RIDE, that was always one of my favorite type rails. glad to see it survive

Just got back from Kartek and talking to Ricky.  Thanks Jeff @L.R.S.

came home with a new Belt, shims, new Axle boots and LED bulb for the whip and a new full throttle battery.  I asked about Odyssey vs full throttle and seems like full throttle is the way to go now?  Either way, getting excited to take this thing out. 

Just got back from Kartek and talking to Ricky.  Thanks Jeff @L.R.S.

came home with a new Belt, shims, new Axle boots and LED bulb for the whip and a new full throttle battery.  I asked about Odyssey vs full throttle and seems like full throttle is the way to go now?  Either way, getting excited to take this thing out. 
Hell yeah man! Ricky is a great guy and takes good care of me when I need parts. Glad he's helping you out as well.

What oil should I be running in this motor?

I guess it has a high volume / high pressure pump.  Blew the seal of the oil filter on startup the other day and made a good mess.

had a napa gold filter, will most likely replace with a mobil 1 

I have always run 20-50 castrol in all of my VeeWee motors & when VW Paradise built my 1915 that is what they wanted me to run in it as well. 

I have always run 20-50 castrol in all of my VeeWee motors & when VW Paradise built my 1915 that is what they wanted me to run in it as well. 
I'm assuming VR1 20w50 would work as well? I have a bunch of that on my shelf. 

Some would say that synthetic oil used in an air cooled engine will raise cylinder temps.
Yeah, synthetics don't absorb the heat from the heads and carry it away like conventional oil does.

Brad-Penn or the Penn Grade works well 

Their break-in oil works well for that flat tappet stuff as well 

Easy to find on Amazon if your local guy doesn't have it

FWIW, diesel oil has higher zinc than oil for gas engines.  we rant it in the 900 inch Pro Mod motors. 

thats a bad ass rail man!! some months ago i got my hands on a mazzone all aluminum rail as well! It had a 2332 that the previous owner blew up. i still have the superflow heads and roller rockers. like stated above if the engines arent preserved right it has to be completely gone thru. I wanted to get a vw motor but they are very expensive so i may go with a turbo ej20 and mate that to the autocraft transmision

When it’s cold outside you need to let the motor come up to temp before you chop the throttle. If not, you saw the results! That’s only if you run a spin on filter. 

Back