Prepping the J&J

EmpirE231

Reaction score
So I have a sweet little aluminum J&J sandcar that I bought from my father in law years back, and have never taken it out.  Well I am planning on bringing it out for presidents, and need to do some prep.  I already ordered a mullet from amazon, and will bring some tall cans.... so I am 90% there on the prep game lol.  So for the other 10%.... I'd like to get a spare belt, and replace the battery.

1.  Are all belts the same for a VW? what should I be ordering and from where?  It is a 2276 motor (I was told)

2. what battery should I go with... I would like it to be semi light weight, but have enough cranking amps to fire the thing over no problem.  Current battery box fits a battery that is about 5"x7.5" and about 6.25" tall 

3.Need to get a whip.... does anyone still sell the oldschool whips with a bulb on the top? or should I run a newer LED?

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

I'll text you. Yesterday my Kartek salesman asked me if I had anyone with an old school Mazzone or similar rail they wanted to part with. They want to do a full restoration and post up on YouTube and IG. Mentioned my buddy in SLC just picked up an old aluminum chassis, maybe a Mazzone. He offered to hook him up on parts if he does a build video. I can get the same thing going for you. 

So I have a sweet little aluminum J&J sandcar that I bought from my father in law years back, and have never taken it out.  Well I am planning on bringing it out for presidents, and need to do some prep.  I already ordered a mullet from amazon, and will bring some tall cans.... so I am 90% there on the prep game lol.  So for the other 10%.... I'd like to get a spare belt, and replace the battery.

1.  Are all belts the same for a VW? what should I be ordering and from where?  It is a 2276 motor (I was told)

2. what battery should I go with... I would like it to be semi light weight, but have enough cranking amps to fire the thing over no problem.  Current battery box fits a battery that is about 5"x7.5" and about 6.25" tall 

3.Need to get a whip.... does anyone still sell the oldschool whips with a bulb on the top? or should I run a newer LED?

View attachment 95637View attachment 95638View attachment 95639
I have the whip you are looking for in my garage. I dont have any wiring for it but it has the receptacle at the top. Free but it has to be picked up in Fontana

Last edited by a moderator:
 I want one of those cars so bad for some dumb reason.. takes me back to the childhood trips. Id be afraid its so rough right now the 3/8 hiems holding the front end on couldnt make it

I want one of those cars so bad for some dumb reason.. takes me back to the childhood trips. Id be afraid its so rough right now the 3/8 hiems holding the front end on couldnt make it
Same reason we all like the idea of a 3 Wheeler...golden memories.

Our bodies won't be happy unless you find virgin sand out there...

same! always wanted one, hence how it ended up in my garage a few years back.  I would definitely betaking it easy compared to driving a big car out there, especially when the dunes are in bad shape.  The whole cars weighs around 700lbs! crazy. 

I had a J&J a lifetime ago with a turbo 2386 .  It was such a fun little car. 

Belts are not all the same, some are for stock crank pully's some are for small crank pully's and there are different sizes of small crank pully's. 
Sorry, your right. The small power pulleys take a different belt.

Beautiful car!

Every year the Old School Roundup happens I think about buying another one, but my 74 year old butt reminds why I shouldn't.

Nice.  

Mine had a wheelie bar and a nose cone with a light in it..  I never used them, but still had them.  

It was the "Shiney Heiney" or something like that.  Someone had removed the decals by the time I got it, but it was still ghosted in the side panels.

I'll text you. Yesterday my Kartek salesman asked me if I had anyone with an old school Mazzone or similar rail they wanted to part with. They want to do a full restoration and post up on YouTube and IG. Mentioned my buddy in SLC just picked up an old aluminum chassis, maybe a Mazzone. He offered to hook him up on parts if he does a build video. I can get the same thing going for you. 
@L.R.S. share this with your friends

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1505928160173742/

image.png

If the car wasn’t prepped properly for storage, the carbs will need to be gone through. Check master cylinders and slave cylinder for leaks. Seals could start leaking once the pedals are exercised. As for a old school whip, Latest Rage in Alpine used to sell them.

Sometimes you just have to slow down through the tore up stuff, but that virgen sand 🙂

Fun cars if you don't mind polishing aluminum 😄

Sometimes you just have to slow down through the tore up stuff, but that virgen sand 🙂

Fun cars if you don't mind polishing aluminum 😄
Exactly! That car will be super quick. Problem is the drags and the hill are all tore up so no fun there. Must find virgin dunes and the ride will be epic! As for polishing aluminum, I remember those days all too well. After every trip was a full detail. Stock up on microfibers, polish, and beer. Gonna be some long nights!

I have the whip you are looking for in my garage. I dont have any wiring for it but it has the receptacle at the top. Free but it has to be picked up in Fontana
cool, iIMG_9724.jpgs it the kind that screws into this base?

Back