Portable Pizza Oven - Doable in the Dunes?

Fullthrottleguy

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
The wife has been bugging me to bring a portable pizza oven to the dunes.  Did a few searches, seems there  are a few options. Has anyone tried it? Doable? Smart? Dumb?  I need some advice from the foodies here.

The wife has been bugging me to bring a portable pizza oven to the dunes.  Did a few searches, seems there  are a few options. Has anyone tried it? Doable? Smart? Dumb?  I need some advice from the foodies here.
It's definitely doable, I've seen some SS ones that are portable. I wouldn't go to the trouble for fresh pizza, but for those with more energy and desire for pizza, it's totally possible.

It is definitely doable we have a 3 burner Camp Chef stove and a Camp Chef pizza oven that sets on top of the stove works well we pack it in the Moho all the time and use it mostly when we take the grandkids.

We have an uuni (called ooni now)stainless steel one. Works with pellets. Works great. Over 500 degrees in like 15 minutes. Cooks a pie in 2 minutes.

Only problem we had was they're too good. Wound up making over 40 pizzas one night for our entire camp. 

Cheffs buddies in 22 had one. Got there right after they shut it down. Looked like it was a fun activity. Lots of different topping sitting there ready to go. 

Im still searching for a pizza dough recipe that works decent. Or maybe im not developing the gluten enough. 30 years of making pizza dough from scratch and never once has it been super fluffy and awesome like you can find at an italian deli like claros. 

We would just do them on the bbq.  Cook the dough on the grill until a slight char.  Then put the toppings on and stick them in the oven to melt the cheese.  Brick oven like pizza without the extra BS..

Cheffs buddies in 22 had one. Got there right after they shut it down. Looked like it was a fun activity. Lots of different topping sitting there ready to go. 

Im still searching for a pizza dough recipe that works decent. Or maybe im not developing the gluten enough. 30 years of making pizza dough from scratch and never once has it been super fluffy and awesome like you can find at an italian deli like claros. 
Double ott (00) flour is the key. Super glutenous.

All this pizza talk got me hungry.  No one seemed to post a link to ehat they really liked. Looked up ooni.com and low and behold 20% sidewide sale the rest of the week.  Have at it.

https://ooni.com/

It just seems like another big, bulky thing to pack.  I'm sure the options folks have posted above work... but you'd need to pick a good day, or evening, without any "dubbya" so you don't end up with crunchy, gritty pizza.  Then, when you're done you'd need a good place to store it for the rest of the trip where it won't get loaded up with sand.  Sure, it seems less important when you're not using it, but I've found when you bring specialty cooking equipment to Glamis the first time it gets loaded up with sand it's never the same and will always produce gritty food.  If you're an RV + trailer/stacker person, perhaps not so much of an issue since you could throw it in a big action packer or other plastic tote and keep it inside the enclosed/stacker.  For toy hauler folks, not so easy.  

-TJ

It just seems like another big, bulky thing to pack.  I'm sure the options folks have posted above work... but you'd need to pick a good day, or evening, without any "dubbya" so you don't end up with crunchy, gritty pizza.  Then, when you're done you'd need a good place to store it for the rest of the trip where it won't get loaded up with sand.  Sure, it seems less important when you're not using it, but I've found when you bring specialty cooking equipment to Glamis the first time it gets loaded up with sand it's never the same and will always produce gritty food.  If you're an RV + trailer/stacker person, perhaps not so much of an issue since you could throw it in a big action packer or other plastic tote and keep it inside the enclosed/stacker.  For toy hauler folks, not so easy.  

-TJ
^^ This was part of my concern - I have eaten enough "sand dogs" and "silt burgers" over the years.  But I went with a smaller and better BBQ this season it folds up and has a cover and its easy in and out.  So far so good - 

All the suggestions and Info here were really encouraging.  I was surprised to see how compact some of these were and decided to go with a Bertello Gas, Charcoal & Wood Fired Outdoor Pizza Oven. Its wood/charcoal or gas fired with a cover for under $300 - If it works out I might upgrade and if not, well thats not even the cost of gas to get to G for me for a weekend ...  My new rig has plenty of storage, so good on that end

Now I do see making dozens of Pizza's for the crew and I do have experience making pizza - so this may work out 

Suggestions on dough are appreciated - need to check out some of the "tube stuff" mentioned although I have only seen Pillsbury locally

Thanks for all the good comments 

Alex, I have one of the stainless Uuni's. You are welcome to borrow it and try it out - home or glamis.

I have bought dough from Trader Joes - though you have to take it out of the fridge 2 hours before not 45 min like it says on the package.

Haven't made dough myself yet.

Mine uses pellets, I can give you a bag of those too - the hopper (where the pellets go) is small so you do have to keep refiling it. A propane model would be easier in that regard. 

You are welcome to it if you want to try it out before buying one. Its an older model but works the same as the new ones

well we are not too good at making pizza in our ooni but with a good cast iron griddle you can sear and cook one hell of a steak

Alex, I have one of the stainless Uuni's. You are welcome to borrow it and try it out - home or glamis.

I have bought dough from Trader Joes - though you have to take it out of the fridge 2 hours before not 45 min like it says on the package.

Haven't made dough myself yet.

Mine uses pellets, I can give you a bag of those too - the hopper (where the pellets go) is small so you do have to keep refiling it. A propane model would be easier in that regard. 

You are welcome to it if you want to try it out before buying one. Its an older model but works the same as the new ones
Thanks Matt  - I should have known you would have one 😃    the Trader Joe's dough tip really helps.  I have heard they cook very fast  - like 2-3 minutes - and you should keep the topic count down  - any more tips?

Thanks Matt  - I should have known you would have one 😃    the Trader Joe's dough tip really helps.  I have heard they cook very fast  - like 2-3 minutes - and you should keep the topic count down  - any more tips?
Don't walk away form the oven after you put the pizza in! 90 seconds if the oven is 900*, turn it 180* once.

To get the raw dough off the board lift the edge closest to you and blow under it then slide it into the oven.

Cold dough sticks - to everything

Clean up is pretty easy, just let the drippings burn off. Empty the hopper - some ash will build up.

Let it cool down BEFORE you try and handle the stone inside! :lol:   

Last edited by a moderator:
Hungry for a Pizza in Glamis right now...

200.gif
200.gif

Back