Pismo Beach

Azdunerat

Reaction score
So we are planning on doing a trip with the new hauler the week of January 24th and was thinking of changing it up and going to Pismo. Have never been but the wife wants the beach and I want to take the can am. 

any info on the beach and camping would be greatly appreciated. 

So we are planning on doing a trip with the new hauler the week of January 24th and was thinking of changing it up and going to Pismo. Have never been but the wife wants the beach and I want to take the can am. 

any info on the beach and camping would be greatly appreciated. 
I grew up going there, and once I had a 5'er and stuff have gone in many, many times.  But, it's been nearly a decade since I went.  Is beach camping even open right now (I can't keep up with the closures)?  If it is, are there even reservations available (they've limited it so much that when it is open resis sell-out quickly, AFAIK)? 

Anyway, if you do get to camp on the beach air down the truck, AND the trailer.  Don't even try without airing down, you'll regret it.  Don't go in alone, make sure you're with another truck and try the soft stuff one at a time (so if the one in the soft stuff gets stuck, the other can un-hitch and rescue).  Make sure you have a good kinetic tow rope (must be kinetic, not a tow strap) and the right shackles etc. to utilize it.  Time your arrival to get in at low-tide, but set up in off the hard pack a bit to make sure you're not that guy scrambling to dig moats and move camp as the tide comes in. 

When riding, remember everything drops off SHARPLY as you ride away from the water.  I've seen so many first-timers (or even seasoned folks) get into terrible crashes cuz they're hauling ass away from the water and totally don't see a big drop.  Pismo has big, sharp drops you just don't see somewhere like G. 

-TJ 

Last edited by a moderator:
as above.... Plus, everything RUSTS!! even from one trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
@Hondajimz will be my go to. It’s our first trip out with the new hauler and we will be flying solo so we might not do Pismo. 

It’s been 2-3 years since I last went to Pismo. I will never go again. It was a S-show of rental RZR’s driven by people that have no business behind the wheel. No rhyme or reason to the way they navigated the dunes. My wife and I only rode our dirt bikes for about 30 minutes before leaving and we saw several crashes. 

I'll add Pismo is the only place I've actually been hit in my sandrails...

-TJ

We took a few sheets of plywood ripped long way and layed it against the trailer to block the on shore wind when we’re cooking and having our fire that worked great.  If there has been rain be aware of the creek.  YouTube the creek crossing at pismo.  

Pismo aka Oceano is fun place to goof around and camp on beach with OHV....

You dont go to Boardmanville cause the food is legendary...it's the atmosphere and history behind it....a place to get a cold beer....etc.

Pismo has a place in our hearts, those that grew up going there.

@Bansh88 just like yore soft spot for the Troll Hut.

It ain’t the best place to ride but it’s still fun. I look at it like this. You get to camp on beach relax and have your toy to take a quick rip. 

i haven’t taken a sand toy in 10 years but it’s been a jinx for my cars. Been taking my jet ski to play in the surf though Atleast once a year. 

@Hondajimz will be my go to. It’s our first trip out with the new hauler and we will be flying solo so we might not do Pismo. 
First off you need to go through reservecalifornia.com/web/ and make a reservation. Then join the Jerk Pirates facebook page. They are a great group and will tow you for free if you get stuck.

The place has changed so much the past few years it's been sad to see. If you've never been it's still worth going 1 time just for the view. While there you need to visit Splash Cafe for some great clam chowder. 

Hit me up if you have any questions but most of all enjoy the trip if you decide to go. 

#1 you must get reservations now at https://www.reservecalifornia.com/Web/  and search for OCEANO DUNES SVRA

#2 plan to air down and have a way to refill. My truck was set to 15psi and trailer at 18psi

#3 read what TJZ06 and some others wrote and have fun, I'll probably never go back. last trip there was 2016

If you guys decide to go, you need to hit up Sylvester’s Burgers. Bomb food!!

Also, when we use to go we always drove as high up as we could along the coast so when I had to do a u turn I’d turn downward towards the water (gravity) instead of uphill risking getting stuck. Seen many guys do it the other way and most would get stuck. Hope that make sense. 

Awesome news. 
My first dune trips were to Pismo. 

Back