Pink Coral sand dunes

GDT623

Reaction score
Thinking about a trip to this area and wanted to take a look as we passed by coming from wyoming.  Unfortunately we were short of time and did not get the chance.  I thought in the old forums some had discussed this area, but cannot find those now.

So I am asking what folks thought of the place, good the bad, camping, and do you really need Paddles?  We have paddles, but honestly the area seems to be a multiple terrain type of area.

Thank you

Yes you definitely want paddles the sand is very soft. But there is also lots of off-roading so take both if you can. Camping is good I haven’t been in a couple years but I read that they expanded the pay campground. Free showers. They have a day use campground but it kinda stinks because their are cows that migrate there in the morning. Really only friendly for SXS and quads. I took my rail once and some of the trails are just too small. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We stopped  for the night 1/2 day on our way up to St Anthony one year, Great place to to visit an check off your list. Wind blows sand up the valley so most every thing is a jump/drop off. There are a lot of trees and narrow trails (great for a sand flea) not so good for a sand car.  The sand is very soft. We stayed in their over flow camping area no hook-up.  The other camp sites looked nice w/ bathrooms and showers. We left after about 4 hours and went over the 14  by Duck lake back to cedar City and the 15. There is a lot off off-road trails and areas of the 14.

Next time we are going to check out Little Sahara in Nephi Utah,

Thanks for the information, honestly the area all around looks awesome to visit.  But the dunes supposedly beautiful area.

There is a lot more sand than just the main set you see. If you camp at the day use area and go up the hill to the left there is a lot more sand up there. No dunes per say but lots of sand in between trees and big flat areas of sand. Really a fun place to just kick it, enjoy the quiet, mess with the tourists and not have cell service. 

4B82C74A-A2BC-4A8B-A486-B78569AD8663.jpeg

74DEA1E9-B3A6-45C1-945D-3AC05F3E10C3.jpeg

E79DC0C1-A477-4108-99F3-70E6E557B3AC.jpeg

D160A362-3F36-4137-BC35-3A0F4E357235.jpeg

We’ve been a few times. The sand is very fine and we ran paddles. There’s also trail areas to ride through trees. It’s a pretty cool place. Not a place for sand rails. Just side by sides and quads. They expanded the campground a couple years ago to include electricity and water. A nice canopy with picnic bench is at each site as well. 

6F29A4C3-96E5-46D0-A15C-9ACA0912248E.jpeg8BC72A5C-14B7-4C56-B7D2-5730CDE3C6F1.jpeg102F8503-726E-42F6-9E4E-EEA4CA16DE8F.jpeg68510C50-C37F-497D-B352-A5A403404D01.jpegC002C05A-73B3-40AD-A1CA-40EED1BEA295.jpegC118D6D2-118A-4B6B-AC88-369B44C555F2.jpeg4A1E8621-3E45-4D97-83B7-17C506C17A7B.jpeg3AF43FE1-F34D-407B-9864-2E0574A08A07.jpeg

Have gone to Coral for about 30 years now,  

If you want to run the dunes, I like staying at the Meadows in the far area,   be carful of twigs in the sand it can blow a tire, 

Do Not drive on Vegetation, it can be a ticket or a impound,   

If you dune to the end near the lookout,   a lot of people have never owned a off road vehicle and walk all over the dunes,  it is really easy to hit someone near the RV campsite on the far end, 

Coral Pink is on the back side of Zion,  so if you camp there for a night it is fun to drive into Zion, 

Also if you are just going for a quick trip Sand-Hallow might be better, it is closer to the freeway,  

Both are fun, Coral Pink is little farther off the beaten path,  make sure to take the Cane Bed road to get there,   you will go into La Verlin, this is the base of Zion,  (River Rock Roasting Company) is my favorite sandwich shop in the world, this is just before the turnoff to Coral Pink, 

Also in Zion the (spotted Dog Cafe) is up there with Hells Kitchen for a steak house,  but 1/4 of the price,  

Also you will need a Utah off highway stick like Idaho or CA,   

you do not need a Helmet, not even for Quads 

But no Whip will get a ticket and a impound 

Last edited by a moderator:
We stopped  for the night 1/2 day on our way up to St Anthony one year, Great place to to visit an check off your list. Wind blows sand up the valley so most every thing is a jump/drop off. There are a lot of trees and narrow trails (great for a sand flea) not so good for a sand car.  The sand is very soft. We stayed in their over flow camping area no hook-up.  The other camp sites looked nice w/ bathrooms and showers. We left after about 4 hours and went over the 14  by Duck lake back to cedar City and the 15. There is a lot off off-road trails and areas of the 14.

Next time we are going to check out Little Sahara in Nephi Utah,
We have done both.

Coral Pink is beautiful. So is Little Sahara.  Just different.

LS is perfect for a rail. So much bigger than Coral Pink. Not nearly as soft either.

Guy I knew went to Coral Pink a few times and described it as "like pink talcum powder"

Guy I knew went to Coral Pink a few times and described it as "like pink talcum powder"
Not quite talcum but yes, very very soft. The washes at Glamis are like talcum.

Surprised no one has mentioned Kanab while visiting Coral Pink. Cool little town where many classic Westerns were filmed.

And then the pet cemetery is a nice place to visit. White Privilege folks put their deceased animals there. Some with very elaborate surroundings.

Not quite talcum but yes, very very soft. The washes at Glamis are like talcum.

Surprised no one has mentioned Kanab while visiting Coral Pink. Cool little town where many classic Westerns were filmed.

And then the pet cemetery is a nice place to visit. White Privilege folks put their deceased animals there. Some with very elaborate surroundings.
Typically if you made it to Kanab, you really Fuucked up the turn to Coral Pink, LOL    as soon as you hit Colorado City, the Palig town look for Cane Bed Road, it is now paved, at one time this was a dirt road all the way,  

Cane Bed Road will get you right into Coral Pink 

No, we went over to Kanab to do some site seeing. It was a planned event.

Did Coral Pink on the way to Little Sahara and St. Anthony’s. We made it to Yellowstone on that trip too. Not planned but a bad (Biblical) sand storm blew into the dunes so we hit Montana and Wyoming to get out of the mess for the day.

We just got home from 3 weeks in Utah spent a week in Kanab and there is alot of trail riding, Sand Hollow was a blast but hot and it’s still one our favorite places after Glamis 

7C1A7C1B-3E9D-48F5-94CF-EA8A31215516.jpeg

DD39EFA6-01E2-4DAC-A769-3A2E59EE5830.jpeg

C843D62A-9DDB-4445-A2E4-A34C98B0DA5B.jpeg

Typically if you made it to Kanab, you really Fuucked up the turn to Coral Pink, LOL    as soon as you hit Colorado City, the Palig town look for Cane Bed Road, it is now paved, at one time this was a dirt road all the way,  

Cane Bed Road will get you right into Coral Pink 
Some of us have to go through Kanab to get there, not everyone comes from the West....lol 

Glad to hear the Cane Bed road is paved, some in our group had gone that way years ago and weren't too happy about the dirt section. 

Some of us have to go through Kanab to get there, not everyone comes from the West....lol 

Glad to hear the Cane Bed road is paved, some in our group had gone that way years ago and weren't too happy about the dirt section. 
It was one of the toughest sections before it was paved,  the washes really wrecked some trailers, 

If you stay in the Meadows be carful it is pretty soft in some areas, 

appreciate all the input.  we spent 10 days in Cody Wyoming, visiting Yellowstone and other sites and drove past the dunes on the way up.  realized it was not to far of a drive from phoenix and thought it might be a good trip.  Pretty sure early fall or spring would be ideal.  Beautiful pictures from all as well.  I think we will make a trip in September or October depending on weather

Back