Paint newly added B Pillars

I went to a local place here and asked to have that done and they couldn't match it they told me.

Maybe I will send you a small piece that has be powdercoated and see what you can come up with.

I will PM you if I decide to do this.  If that is ok?
Space age in Mesa should be able to do it for you.

You stated exactly why it isn't the powdercoat process I was referring to.

Normally an oven is used..

We use powdercoat all the time at work and the oven is the approved process by ASTM standards.
Since I doubt the OP wants to completely tear down his buggy (hence, this thread)...

I think using UV to cure PC for a touchup is a cool idea, and better than paint if you can get it to flow correctly.  Is it standard practice?  Hell no. Will your ISO rep raise an eyebrow?  Hell yes.  Does PC care if the heat came from UV or an oven?  Only if you screw up. :biggrin:

Either way, definitely something to practice prior. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another option for the rattle can route....if you're looking for the cheaper route:

Try visiting the local auto parts store, for the automotive touch up paint section.  I have had success in finding a nearly perfect match in the past for a silver PC.  I found a Ford silver that was almost undetectable sprayed over the existing PC.  It is a little more expensive than the traditional rattle can (Krylon, etc.), but easy and not a bad option.  Any paint or PC needs the same cleaning, care and attention to make it look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I doubt the OP wants to completely tear down his buggy (hence, this thread)...

I think using UV to cure PC for a touchup is a cool idea, and better than paint if you can get it to flow correctly.  Is it standard practice?  Hell no. Will your ISO rep raise an eyebrow?  Hell yes.  Does PC care if the heat came from UV or an oven?  Only if you screw up. :biggrin:

Either way, definitely something to practice prior. :biggrin:
Understood.  I wasn't doubting the OP and what he wanted to do, I was questioning the comment of adding powdercoat to a "portion" of a car.

I got my answer.

My paint on my chassis from years ago has held up very well, 13 years.

Any pics of the b pillar addition ?? I am considering adding to my DD car 

Thank you to everyone's suggestions! 

I took one of my motor mounts to my local automotive paint shop here in Fontana and they are mixing me up a couple rattle cans of Max 2K. I will take before and after pictures.

Wish me luck!

Thank you to everyone's suggestions! 

I took one of my motor mounts to my local automotive paint shop here in Fontana and they are mixing me up a couple rattle cans of Max 2K. I will take before and after pictures.

Wish me luck!
In case of bad luck…. :biggrin:

That looks great and the b pillar is so much safer in the event of mishap.

Take a sample of powder tp paint store have it matched and spray out of a gun.Sure rattle can can work but get any solvents on it it will come off and eventually fade too.

Auto paint with a hardener is only way to go for long term!

Take a sample of powder tp paint store have it matched and spray out of a gun.Sure rattle can can work but get any solvents on it it will come off and eventually fade too.

Auto paint with a hardener is only way to go for long term!
The Max 2K has a hardener in it. You release it with a button on the bottom of the can.

I used the Max2K and am very happy with the results. Went on very smooth. Only issue I had was when I went to apply a 3rd coat the nozzle began to clog and was sputtering. Not sure how to prevent that next time.

I used the Max2K and am very happy with the results. Went on very smooth. Only issue I had was when I went to apply a 3rd coat the nozzle began to clog and was sputtering. Not sure how to prevent that next time.
Pull it off and soak in thinner

Back