Paddle Tires Cost Too Much

STU is expensive, but theres a reason you see 20 year old tires still being used every season. I bought my grandpa a new set of paddles just last season, no joke, his were 18 years old and only had a couple minor chunks. No plugs or patches... He dunes every year, never missed a trip... STU is #1, and for a good reason and they last if your mindful of hard surfaces... I always thought the look of Skats were cool. super burly looking. But, STUs can also be tuned to preference and typically are a more evenly weighted tire. just more you can do with them. Ive tried other brands and was impressed with some performance aspects, but they wore down super fast... 

As my Dad always says "Buy Once, Buy Right." saves a lot of money in the long run...

The Alper write up was great  on the old site ...I remember we got into a discussion on tire weight - sprung weight is hard on the trans, CV's Axles, and it kills acceleration (TQ eater).  Taking Alpers  39" equals 35.5   have you weighed them out?

Steel belts in the sidewalls was the killer for me along with weight.   stiff sidewalls increase the risk of a rollover greatly on jumps etc.
With the help of @Fullthrottleguy i did the bfg projects, they have a non steel belt that makes them lighter than the 35.5,   but i got a nail in the Skats 2nd trip and it was just as hard to patch due to them being so thin, just like a normal paddle,   So i dont think a Skat is any stronger than a standard paddle,  

I just got a set of New 35.5, ouch  but man they look good, 

Back