Paddle Recommendations

Looking for the ultimate (Dune) Paddle Tires for my new YFZ450R Quad. I'm thinking Sand Skate II's. They seem to be the GO TO paddle tire. Peace
If it’s me I do the skat trak edge on a 8” rim. I don’t think sand skate 2s are available anymore. 

Sand Skates are still available (as of Sept. 23} although only in one size.  Awesome tire.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered the ITP's from Chaparral Motorsports. Ran them on my last 450. Only problem with them............following. It throws a big roost. Especially when Da chEFF has control of the throttle. Peace

STU website only showed Sand Skate I last time I was on there.  I like those more than the II's.  I'm in the market for a set as well.  My II's are all cracked up.

All this talk from da @ChEFF got me itchin for a dune run on my quad!! Dangit!! Why does this gotta be like crack!!! 

STU website only showed Sand Skate I last time I was on there.  I like those more than the II's.  I'm in the market for a set as well.  My II's are all cracked up.
What is the difference between a l and ll ?

When I was at the SSSS in September I spoke with the owner of STU. He told me that he still makes the Sand Skate ( didn’t think to ask l or ll ) and had a few sets for sale at his booth. Sand Skate is 4 pounds heavier than an ITP Sand Star but is also a 4 ply tire vs 2 ply for the ITP. Sand Skate also is about $100 more per tire. 

What is the difference between a l and ll ?

When I was at the SSSS in September I spoke with the owner of STU. He told me that he still makes the Sand Skate ( didn’t think to ask l or ll ) and had a few sets for sale at his booth. Sand Skate is 4 pounds heavier than an ITP Sand Star but is also a 4 ply tire vs 2 ply for the ITP. Sand Skate also is about $100 more per tire. 
I always thought Skates were way lighter than a Star. 

Skate I, look to be shaved carcass where the II is all molded.  Skate I is also a wider and fuller tire.  I think Sandsampler was the first one I noticed with them.  

20240128_140928.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Skate I, look to be shaved carcass where the II is all molded.  Skate I is also a wider and fuller tire.  I think Sandsampler was the first one I noticed with them.  

View attachment 94268

My 350X has the Sand Skate 1's. Peace

View attachment 94268
STU still makes the SS 1 based on your explanation. I’m leaning towards the Sand Star because of the weight difference. 

Back