Paddle Recommendations

scumchug

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Yamaha Raptor 700r but I put a CBR600RR engine in it with a 50 shot of nitrous. It has a 8" extended swingarm. 

I have a set of Hiper 9x8 3+5 bead lock wheels that I would like to use.

I have a set of ITP Sand Star paddles for running dunes and playing around, but would like a dedicated set of drag paddles.

I am interested in the Skat Trak Extreme paddles, but don't have a clue as to how many paddles would be best?

What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Tyson 

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought mine from Sandtoyz Unlimited. The guy made a recommendation that was different from everyone else's recommendation. I liked them so much I kept the tires when I sold the Raptor. Can’t remember the name  of the guy but the number is 818-500-7263  

I bought mine from Sandtoyz Unlimited. The guy made a recommendation that was different from everyone else's recommendation. I liked them so much I kept the tires when I sold the Raptor. Can’t remember the name  of the guy but the number is 818-500-7263  
Thanks for the help. I will give them a call.  I emailed Skat Trak but they didn't even respond. I guess I won't be buying their tires anymore

Thanks for the help. I will give them a call.  I emailed Skat Trak but they didn't even respond. I guess I won't be buying their tires anymore
I would not discount buying their tires based on their lack of communication. I had a set of paddles on order direct with Skat. They over allocated that batch of tires and I didn't get mine because I was low on the list of orders for that batch. They never bothered to call or email and tell me that I would not get the tires I ordered. Bad communication good tires for some applications.

I would not discount buying their tires based on their lack of communication. I had a set of paddles on order direct with Skat. They over allocated that batch of tires and I didn't get mine because I was low on the list of orders for that batch. They never bothered to call or email and tell me that I would not get the tires I ordered. Bad communication good tires for some applications.
Thanks,

I'll give them a couple weeks and try again, or maybe give them a call.  I'm not in a panic, as long as they show up before Christmas.

I think the sand gecko was reliably the worst. Sandstars aren't a bad molded tire for the price.  You might consider the 4sno tire, a pro wedge copy. They are the lightest molded tire out and are used by a bunch of drag guys back East. You might blow them out of the sand though. I just don't have the experience to say. I would think a 22" 9 paddle in hauler or taller hauler profile would be very close. 

I think the sand gecko was reliably the worst. Sandstars aren't a bad molded tire for the price.  You might consider the 4sno tire, a pro wedge copy. They are the lightest molded tire out and are used by a bunch of drag guys back East. You might blow them out of the sand though. I just don't have the experience to say. I would think a 22" 9 paddle in hauler or taller hauler profile would be very close. 
Thanks for the info.  I think I had a set something like those for snow back in the 80's. From what I recall they were really light, but I'm not sure they will hold up the the HP. They may get ripped apart. Lol

I will try and get a hold of Skat Trak. They seem to be the best option so far.

Thanks again,

Tyson 

I would definitely go with a skat trak hauler 10 paddle for that application. Maybe even scour the Facebook marketplace for any skat traks to try out. Definitely 22" at least 8 paddle. Good luck! Would love to see that thing rip a pull! 

I would definitely go with a skat trak hauler 10 paddle for that application. Maybe even scour the Facebook marketplace for any skat traks to try out. Definitely 22" at least 8 paddle. Good luck! Would love to see that thing rip a pull! 
Thanks for the info!  Skat Trak seems like the only feasible option. I will head in that direction. 

I dont have a clue what it will be like on the sand. Too much power for pavement unless I come up with a wheelie bar idea. Not enough traction on the dirt for a proper pull. I built it for the Sand, so It's my last hope  to see it shine.

Thanks for the info.  I think I had a set something like those for snow back in the 80's. From what I recall they were really light, but I'm not sure they will hold up the the HP. They may get ripped apart. Lol

I will try and get a hold of Skat Trak. They seem to be the best option so far.

Thanks again,

Tyson 
They were a japanese tire manufacturer called ohtsu and the pattern was called a pro wedge. Maxxis acquired the molds when ohtsu went out of business and renamed the tire 4snow sometime in the two thousands. They are cheap and available but if you can get ahold of some skats, that would be the best way. FWIW, they will build you a tire to your spec if you bring/ship them a carcass to use but they generally don't sell ready made tires. The majority of their business by far was selling orders to places like chaparral cycle supply and other large businesses that could order a truckload of tires at a time. Their custom one off business back when I used to have them build me dirtbike tires was less than a percentage of their business and that was 20 years ago. 

20150906_072931_resized.jpg

They were a japanese tire manufacturer called ohtsu and the pattern was called a pro wedge. Maxxis acquired the molds when ohtsu went out of business and renamed the tire 4snow sometime in the two thousands. They are cheap and available but if you can get ahold of some skats, that would be the best way. FWIW, they will build you a tire to your spec if you bring/ship them a carcass to use but they generally don't sell ready made tires. The majority of their business by far was selling orders to places like chaparral cycle supply and other large businesses that could order a truckload of tires at a time. Their custom one off business back when I used to have them build me dirtbike tires was less than a percentage of their business and that was 20 years ago. 

View attachment 91491
Wow! Your memory and knowledge is far better than mine. Nice to know I am not the only "dated" guy here. Haha

Thanks so much!

Tyson

High Sierra Dad said:
Not nearly as cool as... you.

This question hasn't come up on here in about 20 years. Pretty sure all Quad Drag racing disappeared, before September 11th 2001.
now you look even less cool............

Take a break @High Sierra Dad - no need to derail a legit Paddle tire thread just because it doesn't interest you.

:thanks:

High Sierra Dad said:
Why? I was being dead serious (okay, some sarcasm). I love quads and everything about them... but Side by Sides have killed them off and the only thing "Quad related" these days is basically recreation on your own. I'm a huge fan of Gary Denton, Doug Eichner, Bill Balance, Chad Weinen and Joel Hetrick.

Can you remember when Drag racing quads was last discussed on here? 
The last and only person to mention drag racing was yourself!

Not once did I mention drag racing. I said drag. I don't have any intention of racing anyone.  I put the quad together purely for my own enjoyment.  What business is it of yours if I want to put on a good set of tires and "rip a pull" for my own enjoyment.

I did not solicite any information on Sand Stars, or your opinion on drag racing.

If I were going to offer un solicited opinions, I would be man enough to stand behind them! 

Just leave me alone man.

I called Skat-trak and spoke to a a dude, but I guess this setup is a little Non-typical and out of his expertise range, so he put me onto another dude that is in the know. He's away until Monday.  He gave me the email to their sales team, same one off the internet that I have already sent a couple emails to. I will call back Monday and see where it goes from there.

If anyone else is trying to get a hold of them, I suggest you just call them. They must be too busy or short handed to get around to emails.

Small wheel, Tall tire and a mother load if paddles!  Roger that! 

Thank you! I will hopefully talk to them Monday.

This is what you need! 

View attachment 91577
,I called Skat-trak and spoke to a a dude, but I guess this setup is a little Non-typical and out of his expertise range, so he put me onto another dude that is in the know. He's away until Monday.  He gave me the email to their sales team, same one off the internet that I have already sent a couple emails to. I will call back Monday and see where it goes from there.

If anyone else is trying to get a hold of them, I suggest you just call them. They must be too busy or short handed to get around to emails.

Looking for the ultimate (Dune) Paddle Tires for my new YFZ450R Quad. I'm thinking Sand Skate II's. They seem to be the GO TO paddle tire. Peace

Back