Oregon Dunes

I will be pulling my 40 foot toy hauler up Interstate 5 and see 3 highways that will get me over to the Oregon dunes. 
Highway 42 to Coos Bay, Highway 138/38 to Winchester Bay and Highway 126 to Florence. 
Is there one highway that is much better than the others or are they all about the same?Thanks In advance for your feedback. 

We’ve done the 38 several times with different rigs and it’s fine. It’s scenic as well since it follows the river. 

• Thanks
Reactions: FOG
We’ve done the 38 several times with different rigs and it’s fine. It’s scenic as well since it follows the river. 
Planning to leave next week.  Any other comments on the highways from Interstate 5 to the dunes?

Thanks.

38 is best in my opinion. All my buddies from NorCal take 38 when coming to Winchester, as do I coming from the north. Only one hill to pull and that is short, probably less than a mile long, and less curvy than most coast highways with several passing lanes. Also less traffic on 38.

Check out the elk preserve just before you get to Reedsport. There is usually quite a few elk just off the highway and quite a few bulls. Also the Sugar Shack just as you come into Reedsport has great donuts and baked goods to stock up on for camping.

• Thanks
I’m at Florence dunes right now. The weather is spectacular and the sand is nice and dry. Campgrounds and day use lots are pretty full but surprisingly the dunes do not feel very crowded. Hope you have a safe trip with tons of fun!

I would say it depends where you are headed I live in Central Point which is 33 mikes from Cali border if we are going to Coos Bay which is where we go most of the time we take 42,to Winchester and Florence we take 38, coming from our direction we take exit 112 and go to Dillard just past the Roseburg Forest mill take a left to Brockway it tees into 42, or 38 we take off at Sutherland Exit 136 which is hey 138 takes you over to 38. The drive on 38 is the most scenic and the elk preserve is a bonus if you are going anywhere on the north end of the dunes in the Coos Bay Area time wise it is about a toss up, I go home 38 sometimes just for the change of scenery. Hope you have a safe trip up and enjoy the sand here.

I hate auto correct it is supposed to be Hwy 138

I’m at Florence dunes right now. The weather is spectacular and the sand is nice and dry. Campgrounds and day use lots are pretty full but surprisingly the dunes do not feel very crowded. Hope you have a safe trip with tons of fun!
Thanks. 
I’m about a 120 miles out of Florence and stopped for the night. Just had a tasty beverage that I picked up from the Sierra Nevada Brewery earlier today. 

I’m about a 120 miles out of Florence and stopped for the night. Just had a tasty beverage that I picked up from the Sierra Nevada Brewery earlier today. 
You must be about Canyonville stop at 7 feathers?

• Thanks
You must be about Canyonville stop at 7 feathers?
You’re correct. Spent the night at 7 feathers. Tried to find a campsite in the Florence area but no luck. I was able to get a campsite in the Winchester Bay area at Half Moon Bay until Dunefest starts. 

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. 

FOG has left the Oregon dunes!

I had a great time. Almost 3 weeks and put about 350 miles on the Talon. 
Thanks to all that gave me the great info. 

FOG has left the Oregon dunes!

I had a great time. Almost 3 weeks and put about 350 miles on the Talon. 
Thanks to all that gave me the great info. 
What was your impression of Dunefest?

Dunefest was entertaining and well worth the $40. I enjoyed watching the short course racing and had a few laughs seeing ATC 70s barrel race. 
The drag racing was cool but slow going because of the frequent track dragging to keep it smooth. Had I brought my sand rail I would have entered some of those events. Always wondered how well my car would do on a smooth drag strip with tree starting lights compared to the Glamis sand drags I’m used to. 
I always like a good car show, so the Friday show and shine followed by the freestyle dirt bikes jumping in front of the stage with the AC/DC cover band playing was pretty awesome. 
Good times!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: THD
Back