Onan 5500 Shuts down?

Call Vito, he's mobile and the Onan guru. I think you're not diagnosing the code correctly.

(760)840-9106
Left VITO 2 messages the last couple of days but no reply.....any other suggestions?

Thx

My motorhome Onan 5500 did what you described and it was a bad fuel pump.   When the mobile guy came out he did check the fuel line for kinks or leaks.  

Had the same thing happen on mine. Did fuel filter and fuel pump. no changes. Vito came out and found the carb bad. I had done a deep cleaning of the carb with no luck. 

If you can, go to the generator compartment and start it from there. Pull the feeder line from the pump and hold the prime. If fuel comes through your good. You can also run it from the compartment and when it turns off check the code. The flashing three is just an indicator for the fault. But if you go to the compartment it'll flash 3 and then afterwards you need to count how many time it flashes to get the accurate code. Mine was 3 flashes followed by a pause and then 6 flashes.

You can always order a spare carburetor. $45 for the Chinese version. Good to have one as a spare but you'll need an OEM for long term. Vito recommended running it every month for 30 minutes if its been sitting .

Had the same thing happen on mine. Did fuel filter and fuel pump. no changes. Vito came out and found the carb bad. I had done a deep cleaning of the carb with no luck. 

If you can, go to the generator compartment and start it from there. Pull the feeder line from the pump and hold the prime. If fuel comes through your good. You can also run it from the compartment and when it turns off check the code. The flashing three is just an indicator for the fault. But if you go to the compartment it'll flash 3 and then afterwards you need to count how many time it flashes to get the accurate code. Mine was 3 flashes followed by a pause and then 6 flashes.

You can always order a spare carburetor. $45 for the Chinese version. Good to have one as a spare but you'll need an OEM for long term. Vito recommended running it every month for 30 minutes if its been sitting .
^^^ good info right here. 

Sent Vito 2 messages, I can see they have been read but still no reply so not sure what's the deal with that? 

Going tomorrow to check the fuel pump (I have a new pump and filter as well) so not to waste a trip to storage. 

I'm getting a Code 33 which is vague as it does not reflect a true code from Onan/Cummins but as I'm reading has something to do with overheating? 

I have a spare Chinese Carb just in case....but hate to remove the OEM until it's a last resort try to fix situation. 

I always run seafoam in the fuel and cycle the generator monthly but being a 2007 with 1,511 hours on it could be anything, I guess? 

Thermostat and or temp sensor, just had this issue with a 12.5.

Sent Vito 2 messages, I can see they have been read but still no reply so not sure what's the deal with that? 

Going tomorrow to check the fuel pump (I have a new pump and filter as well) so not to waste a trip to storage. 

I'm getting a Code 33 which is vague as it does not reflect a true code from Onan/Cummins but as I'm reading has something to do with overheating? 

I have a spare Chinese Carb just in case....but hate to remove the OEM until it's a last resort try to fix situation. 

I always run seafoam in the fuel and cycle the generator monthly but being a 2007 with 1,511 hours on it could be anything, I guess? 
The carb takes 5 minutes to change, eliminate something.  Any mechanic is going to change the carb out when they show up.

Well it appears I had a bad fuel pump.....tried it before replacing and did not get a good constant flow more spitting versus actual flow. 

My 5500 had no pre-filter installed on the inlet of the pump....added the filter, new pump fired it up and ran strong for an hour, cycled the AC a couple of times and it didn't even flinch! 

Thanks for everyone's input.... appreciate your time.  :cheers:

Well it appears I had a bad fuel pump.....tried it before replacing and did not get a good constant flow more spitting versus actual flow. 

My 5500 had no pre-filter installed on the inlet of the pump....added the filter, new pump fired it up and ran strong for an hour, cycled the AC a couple of times and it didn't even flinch! 

what fuel pump did you buy?  filters? 

what fuel pump did you buy?  filters? 
Amazon 

Original OEM A029F887 Low Pressure electric Fuel Pump 3.5 -5 PSI 

Sold by AD Auto Parts 

$57.00 

BUT....if you live in California like I do....can't ship it here....had to ship it "elsewhere" to get it. 

Mind you.....the fuel pump shipped from Ontario, CA.  :banghead:

Amazon 

Original OEM A029F887 Low Pressure electric Fuel Pump 3.5 -5 PSI 

Sold by AD Auto Parts 

$57.00 

BUT....if you live in California like I do....can't ship it here....had to ship it "elsewhere" to get it. 

Mind you.....the fuel pump shipped from Ontario, CA.  :banghead:
alot of times when i get this notification on amazon i go on ebay and find the same thing get it shipped. I did that when i bought the fuel pump for my 5500

did you try to run other things? i did the same on mine, replaced the fuel pump. ran the AC for about 45min. no issues, then on a trip out in glamis i could not even run the microwave without it shutting off, tried to run an air fryer and no luck at all either. i just delt with it last season but going to replace the carb before the start of this season. 

did you try to run other things? i did the same on mine, replaced the fuel pump. ran the AC for about 45min. no issues, then on a trip out in glamis i could not even run the microwave without it shutting off, tried to run an air fryer and no luck at all either. i just delt with it last season but going to replace the carb before the start of this season. 
Well the battery charger was definitely running as well as the 15K AC off and on. 
Didn't think to try and run the microwave?? 

Well the battery charger was definitely running as well as the 15K AC off and on. 
Didn't think to try and run the microwave?? 
i thought i was set with air running and the charger going, but the microwave takes alot of power, and i think my air fyer i was trying to use took more than the microwave. i could run the microwave for about a min or so and then it would shut off. if you have the trailer close its a good thing to try before the season. 

The start load on the AC should be more than the microwave. I have a back up portable generator that can run a blow dryer no problem. It can also run the microwave with no issue. Try to run the AC, forget about it! The only way you can run your AC off a smaller generator is to run the fan first. Once the fan is running and the load has settled, switch it to AC. 

The start load on the AC should be more than the microwave. I have a back up portable generator that can run a blow dryer no problem. It can also run the microwave with no issue. Try to run the AC, forget about it! The only way you can run your AC off a smaller generator is to run the fan first. Once the fan is running and the load has settled, switch it to AC. 
Ran the AC (15K) and the microwave and purred like a kitten!! 

Back