old air cooled bug motor

margard8@aol.com

Reaction score
Hello,1 have bought a old vw rail, the starter just clunks when i turn the key, pulled the plugs out and put a breaker bar on the front pulley,it turns over,but is very tight, any ideas before I tear it apart, Thanks for any help

Pull the plugs, soak the cylinders with Mystery Oil for a day or so, then turn over slowly by hand to see if it loosens up, probably/hopefully just some light rust in they cylinders.

ATF works good to free up stuck cylinders

also 🙏🙏lol good luck

Pull the plugs, soak the cylinders with Mystery Oil for a day or so, then turn over slowly by hand to see if it loosens up, probably/hopefully just some light rust in they cylinders.
This.

Hit the starter a few times with a deadblow hammer. Vw starters have intermittent lockup issues

i wouldnt assume your motor is the issue without scoping the cylinders.

what does the oil look like?

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil looks good and clean, but the should it take a breaker bar to turn over with plugs out ??

Scope the cylinders and pull valve covers (if anything is stopping it; its gonna be rings or valves) trans can be contributing to a no spin as well

The guy I bought it from just put in a rebuilt trans axle from custom b&d performace, no fluid in it yet, would that have something to do with it ?

The guy I bought it from just put in a rebuilt trans axle from custom b&d performace, no fluid in it yet, would that have something to do with it ?
It could, put fluid in it, but you should soak the cylinders and turn over by  hand, if it hasn't been run in a while it's likely the cylinders have a little rust in them, the Marvels Mystery Oil will break that down and you just work the pistons up and down till it get's easier, then try and start it.

How much effort on the bar?

Could be as simple as a bad ground...since the trans was just out.

I would say do all the things listed above. Even pull the starter out try to rotate the engine by hand. Depending in the age of the Trans or if the guy just put something in It might have a 6v trans with a 12v flywheel. Highly unlikely but I am just trying to add to suggestions here

it takes both hands with a 3 foot breaker bar, with out plugs, I just went and got some marvels oil

Have you gotten it to turn one full rotation by hand? 

Does it have a stock fuel pump on it?

Yes, i can turn a full rotation,i took the fuel pump and starter off, no help there, put sone Marvels oil in it last night, letting it soak, its a realy nice looking motor, cant figure it out 

Back