oil filter or oil cooler first?

gentleman  direct your views to the pic above.  the "little loop" is a cover that can be removed and an external oil cooler can be installed.  you have no option if the filter comes first or last.  in this pic the oil filter is first and oil cooler is right after.  The argument of hotter oil filters better and thats the reason to do it is interesting as the oil is maybe 20-30 degrees cooler (with one then) than with out the oil cooler.

Unfortunately, with a simple sandwich adapter it will cool before it filters.  

Only kinda related.. When I first got my DMAX, oil temps were something that I monitored pretty closely.  I noticed that during regular unloaded driving EOT would follow ECT until the ECT leveled off at operating temp.  The EOT continued to climb to about 230*f.  Towing even a medium sized load (7-8k) up a grade (from PHX to the Sunset Point up the I-17) I would see oil temps over 300*f.  Coolant temps would still be in check.  Oil was measured after the filter in the stock housing with an electric Autometer gauge.  Engine temps were displayed on the Edge monitor. 

I later install a very large remote inline cooler with a sandwich adapter.  This brought the EOT down closer to ECT while daily driving.  The real performance of the cooler came to shine while towing.  I could tow even heavier loads and maintain EOT under 250.  This large amount of added heat rejection allowed me to replace the mechanical radiator fan with electric ones.

Any of the guys that monitored EOT in their cars before and after a cooler install will probably attest to the temp difference being greater than 30* when running hard.

Unfortunately, with a simple sandwich adapter it will cool before it filters.  

Only kinda related.. When I first got my DMAX, oil temps were something that I monitored pretty closely.  I noticed that during regular unloaded driving EOT would follow ECT until the ECT leveled off at operating temp.  The EOT continued to climb to about 230*f.  Towing even a medium sized load (7-8k) up a grade (from PHX to the Sunset Point up the I-17) I would see oil temps over 300*f.  Coolant temps would still be in check.  Oil was measured after the filter in the stock housing with an electric Autometer gauge.  Engine temps were displayed on the Edge monitor. 

I later install a very large remote inline cooler with a sandwich adapter.  This brought the EOT down closer to ECT while daily driving.  The real performance of the cooler came to shine while towing.  I could tow even heavier loads and maintain EOT under 250.  This large amount of added heat rejection allowed me to replace the mechanical radiator fan with electric ones.

Any of the guys that monitored EOT in their cars before and after a cooler install will probably attest to the temp difference being greater than 30* when running hard.
I can't wait to go up to Payson with my 41' Warrior in June.  I am going to work my truck and am excited to see EOT and Tranny temp.

My 2019 used to see EOT of 240 and Tranny temps of 220 on those hills during summer.

I hear these new 10 speed run hotter......  gonna find out!!!!!!

Another benefit to filter first: the filter will represent a flow impedance, so pressure pre-filter will be higher.  If you put the cooler on this circuit, it (and the lines feeding it) will see higher pressure than after.  Some motors, like my SR20DET and the Coyote Mustang GT, clear 100psi of oil pressure (Coyote sees 100psi HOT).  A good cooler should handle this, but if it's 100psi+ on the motor side, I can't imagine what the oil pressure might be pre-filter, especially vehicles with smaller filters, on some of these motors... Keep in mind CBR rates their coolers to 150psi.

John if you read my post it will spell it out for you, use the links and decide what is the best option,  personally i would use a remote filter,  

If this is for a customer, be carful running coolers and bigger filters will determine pump size, volume, what bearing clearance is in the motor, cast crank chromoly crank,  these will determine the pump that you use and setting up the spring at the correct install height, 

there are about 6 pump options with 3 different spring setups and 2 install heights depending on bearing clearance and cooler size,   oversize the pump will make more heat and foam the oil,  to little pump will starve the motor, 

I had a pump under rated because i did to big of a oil cooler with to small of a pump with large bearing clearance on my 468CI and eat 3 motor rebuilds, then figured it out,  the motor was fine, and then when it hit over 5000 rpms it just eat itself,    it was a steep learning curve on oil cooler and pump ratio,  

I can't wait to go up to Payson with my 41' Warrior in June.  I am going to work my truck and am excited to see EOT and Tranny temp.

My 2019 used to see EOT of 240 and Tranny temps of 220 on those hills during summer.

I hear these new 10 speed run hotter......  gonna find out!!!!!!
Ford has gone through some changes with the 6.7's engine coolant and oil cooling systems over the last couple body refreshes.  We use the F550 as a base for mobile equipment where we can take nearly 300HP off the engine through a Splitshaft gear box while basically sitting still.  The first few were on 2016s.  They did fine.  When the redesigned the cab something changed and the EOT would reach 275* and the PCM would shut down the PTO strategy on us.  So, we had to remove the factory liquid/liquid oil cooler, fab a plate that we could redirect the oil to very large liquid/air heat exchanger.  With that we can totally manage the oil temp, and removed a bunch of heat from the radiator's load.

I read the whole topic, not sure if I’m dumber or smarter. It did get me through my morning massive though, thanks for the assistance!

On my boat BBC I have a remote oil filter adapter that's plumbed to a temperature bypass first.

When cold fluid circles to to the filter and back to engine.

I think it's kinda linier and opens as temp rises but at 180deg it's full open and oil flows thru the cooler then the filter back to engine.

Pretty interesting to watch the oil temp gauge rise up to 180 then drop to 140 with 60deg river water.... With out the bypass I would only see 110deg of oil temp and the engine did not like being that cold.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-25719

der-25719_xl.jpg

der-35027_dz_xl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i will be routing the current car im working on the same way Subaru does it.  it is a rebuilt motor and a new oil cooler, i just prefer to have the filter last

Good input and thought from all of you.

I did read an article that talked about how much benefit it is to have 20-30 deg cooler oil temps then normal temps via having an external oil cooler. 

One of the most benefits, is the valve springs, we test the springs before and cars that come back with the springs a darker color, we retest the springs and can loose up to !00lbs or be broken,  Harder to drop a valve with cooler oil on a LS, 

One of the most benefits, is the valve springs, we test the springs before and cars that come back with the springs a darker color, we retest the springs and can loose up to !00lbs or be broken,  Harder to drop a valve with cooler oil on a LS, 
Oil is also coolant.  There are a LOT of parts that only get cooled by oil and contact with the block/heads.  

Back