oil filter or oil cooler first?

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
So what do you guys do and whats your reasoning?

how do you  plumb your oil coolers vs remote oil filters

My oil filter is in the stock location.

I used an adapter from CBM to run the cooler from that.

CCBQ4186.JPG

but in this pic does the oil go through the filter or the cooler first?

Subaru factory set up goes through the cooler first and then the oil filter last.  i would presume this is more common as the filter would catch anything from the cooler too.  if the cooler was secondary then it could have some debris that is caught from filter.  this would be especially true with a used oil cooler being reused.  the idea would be if the filter was first then the cooler wouldn't get contaminated but that's only true down to the micron the filter can filter.

would be interesting to confirm what linsters set up is from the factory.

John, my oil filter location is from the factory.

The CBM part shown in my picture is what I added from CBM, there was a block off plate there from the factory.

I'm actually not sure of the fluid flow.

CBM built my motor and they told me "use this", so I did.

Subaru factory set up goes through the cooler first and then the oil filter last.  i would presume this is more common as the filter would catch anything from the cooler too.  if the cooler was secondary then it could have some debris that is caught from filter.  this would be especially true with a used oil cooler being reused.  the idea would be if the filter was first then the cooler wouldn't get contaminated but that's only true down to the micron the filter can filter.

Seems you'd be less likely to gum up the cooler with filtered oil, no?

GM does it similar to what @lincster has:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm my world it's 99% filter hot oil.

The 1% is the Germans with their MAN diesels. 

They run the oil thru the cooler then to a dual stage oil filter. 

I've seen these MAN engines suffer from low oil pressure and we've found the oil coolers contaminated with carbon and other foreign objects that seem to make it down the fill tube or from engine repairs.  Flakes of paint, silicone, fibers from shop towels and carbon deposits.

How would you set up a subi in a sandcar if adding a cooler?

oil filter first so in the event of an engine failure, most debris would stop at the filter and not infect other parts of the system, oill cooler, lines, etc.

How would you set up a subi in a sandcar if adding a cooler?
well i have always had mixed feelings.  with most sandwich plates in street cars the whole design has the lines out and back in to the sandwich plate "before the filter" so the filter is the last thing oil passes before.  i like that idea the best as it is the last defense for debris in the main oil gallies.

the argument of filter first is that stuff could come out of the cooler itself, then it goes unprotected into the mains. and saying filter protects the lines and oil cooler?  well anytime a motor is blown we would require a new oil cooler anyways.  oil lines are always easy to clean

From the Pump i run the oil filter first,  main reason is if the motor has a issue it does not fill the oil cooler up with material,  

If you get material in the oil cooler, i just throw them away,  hard to junk a $500 cooler, i run a Peterson oil screen filter before the cooler to help catch debris. 

If you are not worried about debris, then i really dont think it matters what goes first, everything is under pressure,  personally i would want hotter oil going into the filter first, it seems that hotter the oil into the filter would increase flow,  cooler oil might bypass a % of the oil,    unless the filter is large enough to not bypass any oil, 

The Chinees filter plates like @lincster uses is what i use also, i use 8AN seems to be the same as the inside engine gallies,  

this is a link to them, 

Amazon.com: LineRacing Oil Cooler Adapter fits for Corvette C5 C6 C7 LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 / Cadillac CTS-V / LS1 Camaro & Firebird Black (For LS Engine Black) : Automotive

around $30

but the super nice kit have a thermostat in them and will byass the cooler, 

Low-Profile Oil Cooler Thermostat for LS Engines (improvedracing.com)

this talks about oil coolers, but you motioned the oil filter 

everything listed above is for oil cooler ONLY,   you would use the factory oil filter 

If you are using a remote filter the best solution is a oil filter adapter replacement that bolt to the filter housing on the pan,  unless using sheetmetal aftermarket pan

Canton Racing Products 22-593 Canton Racing 90 Degree Rotating Remote Oil Filter Adapters | Summit Racing

I do not know what pan you have, so they make different threads on different pans for different years, 

Low Profile Remote Oil Filter Take-Off Adapter (improvedracing.com)

Some pan filters are Metric some ls oil pans are SAE, 

Last edited by a moderator:
Filter the oil first.  Fewer component casualties this way.

Highly unlikely the cooler coming apart internally with be the cause of an engine failure.

I'd preferer to put my pressure sensor AFTER the filter and cooler though.  See what the mains are getting.

gentleman  direct your views to the pic above.  the "little loop" is a cover that can be removed and an external oil cooler can be installed.  you have no option if the filter comes first or last.  in this pic the oil filter is first and oil cooler is right after.  The argument of hotter oil filters better and thats the reason to do it is interesting as the oil is maybe 20-30 degrees cooler than with out the oil cooler.

gentleman  direct your views to the pic above.  the "little loop" is a cover that can be removed and an external oil cooler can be installed.  you have no option if the filter comes first or last.  in this pic the oil filter is first and oil cooler is right after.  The argument of hotter oil filters better and thats the reason to do it is interesting as the oil is maybe 20-30 degrees cooler than with out the oil cooler.
Don't you mean 20-30 degrees hotter than without the oil cooler?

I saw 30 degree drop in oil temps after I added my cooler.

in this pic of the Subaru EJ oiling system the factory oil cooler is sandwiched between the oil filter and the block.  the routing in this factory set up is oil cooler first, then goes to the oil filter and back to the main oil galley via the long bolt, there is no option to switch this on the factory set up.  if you use a remote oil filter adapter you then have the option to switch which comes first.  

even though an oil cooler may be $200-600 how could you ever think to reuse it after an engine failure?    people think the oil filter is so efficient that debris could not make it past the filter thereby not contaminating the oil cooler-- this would be naïve.  if that was the case i suppose you could put sand in your oil and expect no damage because the filter will catch it all at the filter?  the only time i would reuse an oil cooler on a rebuilt motor is if the failure was not a oiling issue and even then i would be cautious.

Don't you mean 20-30 degrees hotter than without the oil cooler?  no, reread it again, the wording is tricky

I saw 30 degree drop in oil temps after I added my cooler. yes this is awesome
incorrect,  my wording may have confused you but it is correct.  reworded:  if i have an oil cooler then oil leaving the cooler could reduce oil temp by as much as 20-30 degrees, so the reason to have filter before the cooler as stated (by others) is to take advantage of filtering when oil is at max engine operating temps, then my statement "without the oil cooler the oil would be 20-30 hotter".  i just don't see a huge benefit of filter oil first to take advantage of oil that only 20 or 30 degrees different 

Back