Oil change? miles or oil life?

Oil change intervals have increased because there are better oils and less contaminants in the oil due to much better efficiency, in the days of Carburator’s and less sophisticated efi systems extra fuel would make it past the rings. Todays engine go into closed loop instantly. And oils are better. Part of the reason they intervals are so large. I probably do oil changes in the 5-8k range. Doing 15k miles a year that’s twice a year. Besides moisture in oil, oils can suspend dirt particles in the oil. But especially on a harder used or just bad environment   Once the oil is saturated and cand “suspend” any more dirt then it just becomes deposited in your engine (sludge) so even with little use per year on some vehicles it’s nice to do an oil change once a year. My only rule breaker is also my Moho which has a c-13 and I think it holds 40 quarts!  

in my 02 dodge dually i replace the oil when it stops leaking.. :lol:

i try and shoot for 5k miles oil and filter change, i also change fuel filter every time too. i dont put the miles on the truck like i did a few yew years ago, chit i maybe put fuel in it once a month or sometimes 2 months if i havent left havasu. i last changed the oil on 9/31/2021 and have only put 4186 miles on the truck since.

Back