noggin to rollbar clearance

EastMT

Reaction score
How many inches between your head and the roof / rollbar do you like to have to feel safe to not wear a helmet? Or under how many inches of clearance would you wear a helmet? 

None. Belt stretch is more than even @TheLatinLover’s shortest cousin in a XL frame with max head clearance can get away with. 

Airbags exist because if your hands can comfortably reach the steering wheel, so can your face. 
Thanks for the info and ancient proverb. I think I'll wear a helmet.

I don't wear a helmet. I now have a 5 seater which is mostly for tooling the kids around. I'm not doing anything that will absolutely require that helmet. Now if I'm feeling froggy, and I reach for a helmet, the kids know to stay at camp. 

I don't wear a helmet. I now have a 5 seater which is mostly for tooling the kids around. I'm not doing anything that will absolutely require that helmet. Now if I'm feeling froggy, and I reach for a helmet, the kids know to stay at camp. 
True, I just feel the day I don’t wear one is the day homeboy with only 83 payments left drives straight through the transition into me. Learned that racing: only lost control of my car once in 10 years of pro racing…. Last time I did it, someone pulled onto track at the apex while I was setting up a pass for P1.

Always an idiot willing to test your safety gear for you. 

I'm only 6'2" but am mostly torso, Ive done a lot in the past to increase head clearance including modifying cages and lowering seats and seat mounts. As mentioned belts stretch, I won't buy another rail without significant head clearance helmet or not... 

Reactions: FOG
Wearing your seat belts tight is another important thing to remember. I thought I was wearing my seat belts tight until I got into a race car with a ratchet system on the belts. I can pull them as tight as I can and put a couple of clicks on the ratchet to pull me down in the seat. This works on racing seats, not sure how they would work on a suspension seat most sandrails have.

If you crash in the dunes it’s good to have a helmet on, even in a sand rail. It increases your chances of walking away. 

and belts worn properly are important.  I cant tell you how many folks Ive seen yank their shoulder belts so tight they are jammed into the seat but their lap belts are flopping around......  great way to get a spine injury. 

and belts worn properly are important.  I cant tell you how many folks Ive seen yank their shoulder belts so tight they are jammed into the seat but their lap belts are flopping around......  great way to get a spine injury. 
Or, have the lap belt in the middle of their stomach.

I am a Trauma/Critical Care RN studying to become a Hospitalist here shortly. I respect your choices to not wear helmets but on the flip side, I can't tell you how many TBI's I've dealt with in both Sxs's and SandRails because of a collision or rollover that have completely changed not on the lives of the driver but the whole family now dealing with caring for a TBI patient. I plan on wearing an Arai and will probably wear a Hans device or similar as Atlas (C1)/Axis(C2)/Bibasilar skull fractures in a harnessed seat are very real potentiality when your head goes slinging forward while your torso is locked in place not to mention the coup contracoup that yoru brain goes through. Just some food for thought. 

~Andy

I am a Trauma/Critical Care RN studying to become a Hospitalist here shortly. I respect your choices to not wear helmets but on the flip side, I can't tell you how many TBI's I've dealt with in both Sxs's and SandRails because of a collision or rollover that have completely changed not on the lives of the driver but the whole family now dealing with caring for a TBI patient. I plan on wearing an Arai and will probably wear a Hans device or similar as Atlas (C1)/Axis(C2)/Bibasilar skull fractures in a harnessed seat are very real potentiality when your head goes slinging forward while your torso is locked in place not to mention the coup contracoup that yoru brain goes through. Just some food for thought. 

~Andy
The only acronyms I understood in that was SxS's.

Back