No Shell Rotella T4 Triple protection 15w-40

Call Napa they had pallets of diesel oil. It was Delo 15/40. They have a grey bottle thats synthetic and contains a bit more of a certain lubricating metal i cant remember. Its good for older diesels like the 7.3. Im fairly certain the Grey bottle contains as much of the good stuff as the original Blue bottle.

Napa might have rotella in stock. Or something just to get moving. Some guys run that DelVac oil as well. Which you might be able to find in 5gal for decent price. 
My Napa has t4 in stock at 26$/bottle compared to 14$ at walmart x’s 5 bottles. Thats an extra 30$ per oil change. My local (el cajon) tractor supply has  zero 15-40 of any flavor. 

Walmart had 1 gal of T4 today

C4B13139-9D19-4C6C-B0AA-93707F238129.jpeg

If I was ordering oil filters....rockauto.com   then search for a 5% discount on the web.

Local AutoZone has two 5 gallon buckets today. I was able to snag one over the phone with a credit card. $90. Happy camper.

I have worked on large earthmoving equipment and semi trucks for 25 years. Have seen thousands of gallons of 15w40 pumped into and drained from diesel engines in every brand available cheap and expensive. I really can't say that I've ever seen a failure due to lubrication issues where the brand of oil was to blame. I've seen plenty of lubrication failures from going too far past the interval and I mean way past to the point that the oil had cooked into paste. Mostly I see construction equipment go 2-3 times the recommended interval because no one even pulls the dipstick much less checks the hours/miles on the oil. These are the guys that when they finally do spring for oil and a filter it's the $8 a gallon stuff from tractor supply. And I'm amazed when I see these same engines go 15-18k hours while being abused like this over and over. While I do know that there's a difference between conventional and synthetic it's really only heat resistance. But as far as conventional oils go I kinda have to say it's all the same thing. I've hauled some products for dial oil and I know for a fact that the base oil all comes from the same bulk and additives are added based on how and what name it's marketed. So basically the 300 gallon tote of shell and the 300 gallon tote of pennzoil next to it came from the same batch of oil but just different additives added to it. I like to add 1-2 gallons of Lucas to my own big diesel engines especially anything with an overhead cam. My .02

Last edited by a moderator:
I have worked on large earthmoving equipment and semi trucks for 25 years. Have seen thousands of gallons of 15w40 pumped into and drained from diesel engines in every brand available cheap and expensive. I really can't say that I've ever seen a failure due to lubrication issues where the brand of oil was to blame. I've seen plenty of lubrication failures from going too far past the interval and I mean way past to the point that the oil had cooked into paste. Mostly I see construction equipment go 2-3 times the recommended interval because no one even pulls the dipstick much less checks the hours/miles on the oil. These are the guys that when they finally do spring for oil and a filter it's the $8 a gallon stuff from tractor supply. And I'm amazed when I see these same engines go 15-18k hours while being abused like this over and over. While I do know that there's a difference between conventional and synthetic it's really only heat resistance. But as far as conventional oils go I kinda have to say it's all the same thing. I've hauled some products for dial oil and I know for a fact that the base oil all comes from the same bulk and additives are added based on how and what name it's marketed. So basically the 300 gallon tote of shell and the 300 gallon tote of pennzoil next to it came from the same batch of oil but just different additives added to it. I like to add 1-2 gallons of Lucas to my own big diesel engines especially anything with an overhead cam. My .02
Im a psycho about my vehicles i have serious breakdown anxiety. That said. I do “feel” my 7.3 runs better on rotella, my 6.6 liked delo and i only run t6 in my wife’s 6.0l to help with stiction (i also run a friction modifier archoil or rev-x depending on whats available)

Im a psycho about my vehicles i have serious breakdown anxiety. That said. I do “feel” my 7.3 runs better on rotella, my 6.6 liked delo and i only run t6 in my wife’s 6.0l to help with stiction (i also run a friction modifier archoil or rev-x depending on whats available)
7.3s are heui so you atleast need to keep up on intervals to get more life out of the injectors since they are already lubrication deficient. 6.0 Navistar... well let's not go there but they also need a pretty short interval. Dmax injectors also have lubrication issues but it's not dependant on engine oil for that. So can you actually tell the difference in how they run with different brands of oil?

crazy times... I probally went to 6 or 8 auto parts stores and completely out of diesel oil.. The basic auto oil was very limited.  not much of a selection. 

I've got pallets of 15/40 in stock. 

You guys should look at Total Rubia oil. 

We've been using it for 7 years now in all my clients engines. I use it in my truck as well. 

My Napa has t4 in stock at 26$/bottle compared to 14$ at walmart x’s 5 bottles. Thats an extra 30$ per oil change. My local (el cajon) tractor supply has  zero 15-40 of any flavor. 

Walmart had 1 gal of T4 today

View attachment 21612
That’s what it looked like at good ol Los coches when I was there last too.

Yeah man, I usually buy a couple five gallon buckets every month or so for the equipment. I’ll just go back to delo, that stuff was great for years. maybe even just try the Costco oil. It’s probably delo anyways, that’s what they were selling before. 

Just think if you were a business and made more money on a certain product and limited resources....you are going to make the product with the highest margins and everything else can wait.  People have to buy oils etc...they will pay for the more $$$ one if its the only one available.  Some of this is supply chain, some of it is just business and people taking advantage of the situation. 

I've got pallets of 15/40 in stock. 

You guys should look at Total Rubia oil. 

We've been using it for 7 years now in all my clients engines. I use it in my truck as well. 
Wanna post or pm for 15 quarts? Plus you are rex-x dealer too right? I’ll run synthetic in the 7.3 too. Only change the oil in it once a year

Wanna post or pm for 15 quarts? Plus you are rex-x dealer too right? I’ll run synthetic in the 7.3 too. Only change the oil in it once a year
Total Rubia 15/40 mineral based oil, 5 qt jug retails for $24.99 here. I would sell to GD peeps at $18.00 per jug. Thats 25% off. Plus tax.

Yes I am also a Rev X dealer.

Total Rubia 15/40 mineral based oil, 5 qt jug retails for $24.99 here. I would sell to GD peeps at $18.00 per jug. Thats 25% off. Plus tax.

Yes I am also a Rev X dealer.
does that stuff have all the vitamins and minerals that dinosaurs provide and flat tappet engines like?

Rubia oil sounds interesting. 

Came here to say someone on the 7.3L FB forum posted that Home Depot is having sales on Rotella. Not sure what state the guy is located. 

Walmart los coches 1/8/22

View attachment 22720
Ya I check that isle every time I go there and it always looks the same! I had bought extra for two oil changes last time I purchased. My dumb ass bought 1 jug of t4 and the rest was t5. Didn’t pay attention to how it was stocked. Had to hit Napa in Alpine to pick up a jug of t5. As stated earlier, they ass raped me for double the cost from Walmart! I think I will order ahead online from now on.

Been trying to find Rotella t6 for a month locally. Nothing. 

Have seen the t4 at some spots.

Back