No-Lift-Shift, What is it? (Paddle Shift Info Added 9/17/24)

PADDLE SHIFTERS

Adding to the discussion:

Paddle shifter systems can be added to almost any mechanically operated sequential shifted transaxle/gearbox with the use of an external actuator and paddles adapted to the steering wheel. These are becoming more prevalent the in sand car world, but have been used in off-road race vehicles for the past 10 years with pretty good results.

These systems also require a high quality engine ECU that allows for ignition and fuel delivery tuning based on inputs from the paddles (micro-switches) and drum position sensor on trans. A fly-by-wire throttle body is also required for proper downshift tuning. This system will not work without some sort of ability to blip the throttle for downshifts since you have no physical connection to the gearbox to help shift it. (There are electronic actuators available that can blip a cable actuated throttle body independently of the cable, but I am not a personal fan of them)

In basic terms, an actuator is used to throw the shift lever at the gearbox back and forth to shift the trans, rather than using a mechanical hand shifter and cable or rod. These are mostly air actuated systems with an on board air compressor, but there are now electronic actuators being used in various other forms of motorsports, but I do not know of anyone using these in off-road vehicles.

The paddles on the steering wheel send the signal to the ECU to either cut power for an upshift, or blip power for downshift. The ECU sends the signal to the actuator for proper throw direction based on which paddle was operated.

A major advantage to paddle shifter systems when set up properly is that they can allow for a timed delay between when a shift is selected, and when the actuator throws the shift lever at the trans. This allows for the gearbox to slow down or speed up enough and help align the dogs for the smoother shift. This is greatly advantageous to the gearbox and the longevity of the dogs on the gears when properly tuned.

The downside is there is no physical or mechanical feel between the driver and the gearbox. Some people prefer having that connection to the gearbox so they can feel when the dogs release and shift into gear. If you do not have a proper tune on the paddle shifter system, it can badly damage the gearbox (as I have seen on a couple of trophy truck transmissions).

Paddle shifters will make their way into the sand car world more and more in the next few years. If you have the funds to purchase the hardware and pay for the proper ECU tuning, they are a great addition to make your car feel like a modern day exotic sportscar. This is certainly not a system that you would want to cheap out on as it can cost many times the cost of a gearbox in service bills if not done properly.

I have done a couple No Lifts with Weddle and Holley ECU's - basically exactly as Sean describes. I used a spring loaded Microswitch in shifter and the standard (new style) Gear dash gear indicator, the electrical part is fast and setting a table in Holley is super easy.
We tuned it on a "road dyno" and it was not that bad because I was not trying for the fastest shift possible, just a reliable one, and honestly I left quite a bit of "blip time" in there for safety - still faster than any human can do it with their foot that I know safely.
I plan on doing my car if their is time before the season

As far as Paddle shifter go - I really hate them in the sand - functionally ... well the only experience I have in the old Mastershift
its so easy manuvering around in the dunes bouncing a bit to hit the paddle - drags OK - everything - No Bueno IMO

Bj the owner of Dirt Shades, did the No lift shift with the Holley System using the Shifter From Fortin with the TPS sensor built into the side of it,
Lance
Dune-Hoon did the programming,

This was done with a Holley HP, Albins Transaxle, Fortin Shifter.

well the only experience I have in the old Mastershift
its so easy manuvering around in the dunes bouncing a bit to hit the paddle - drags OK - everything - No Bueno IMO
That Mastershift system is very antiquated, along with the shifting technology of the old Mendeola and PBS sequentials at the time this was tried.

The new Weddle Gen 3 shift mechanism and various paddle shifting hardware/kits and tuning systems are far superior today. it really comes down to a proper tune for each application for best results.

I know Redline has the no lift tuning figured out. Jeff-Toy Factory and Aaron put insane HP through transaxles and race the heck out of them.

Back