New to Subi 2.5 motor

Rigo232003

Reaction score
Hey All, I might be picking up a sand car with a 2.5 subi. I’ve never owned a Subaru motor. Do you All have a ride bits of info you could share with me on these things? I’ve always been a fan of sound and performance(from what I see and hear). I just want to make sure if I get it, I maintain and treat it right. 

e.g. I read somewhere on here that you should always tow I’m neutral cause if you leave it in gear it can go out of time making it a bear to start or ru right. 

i see most run race fuel with these things. 

any of your knowledge is appreciated. 

thank you!!

Hopefully you get all the need to knows from the seller/owner.  Then post up what you know with pictures of it. There is plenty of knowledge with our members to fill in any gaps.

Congrats!!!

Welcome to the club, yes never transport in gear, blow out timing belt after every trip on long tripsI do it every other day , I run E85, lots more info on here about Subi's 

I dont know much about a Subi, but they seem to be a pretty bitchen motor.  I think its a general rule that you dont tow any transaxle in gear.  an automatic with a parking pin is OK, but never a transaxle (or a stick for that matter).  and when I towed my auto, I strapped it down & then put it in park so it was not pulled up against the pin.

Great motors. Low center of gravity and can make plenty of power. Check your timing belts and gears and change them when worn. It will save you money in the long run. John from Outfront is a great resource and has all the tricks for these motors. I run e85 as well and have been very happy with it. Must be tuned for it though

I had a Mazzone mid engine with a Subi 2.5 and a turbo. 
When the turbo would spool it felt like a 2 stroke coming on the pipe. 
Fun little car!

Hopefully you get all the need to knows from the seller/owner.  Then post up what you know with pictures of it. There is plenty of knowledge with our members to fill in any gaps.

Congrats!!!
Thank you. Here’s what I do know

500HP

27lbs boost

running 110 race fuel

930 cv’s

mendi 2d

Was thinking maybe doing an E85 conversion is the way to go with this motor? What are your thoughts?

also, what’s a conversion like that run once you include dyno/tuning?

Here's my opinion from my experience and my previous subarus.

My last 2.5 was built by John at Outfront motorsports. All the goodies internal. 

457 hp at 14.5 lbs boost.  This was run for 5 years then sold. New owner had it checked and dynoed at it came in right around 450 hp at 14 lbs boost. Use this as a reference. 

27 lbs is a lot, I mean A LOT of boost. I'd venture to say the info is not accurate.  Not a deal breaker and most sellers inflate HP and boost numbers to impress. 

Race gas with some boost on a stock 2.5 would yield a pretty peppy motor. Not 500 hp but a solid 350 for quite some time.  That's nothing to shake a stick at. It's impressive for a 2.5 l 4 cylinder. 

Assume you have a stock engine unless it comes with a build receipt and a builder to back it up. 

Let's see some pictures.

Here's my opinion from my experience and my previous subarus.

My last 2.5 was built by John at Outfront motorsports. All the goodies internal. 

457 hp at 14.5 lbs boost.  This was run for 5 years then sold. New owner had it checked and dynoed at it came in right around 450 hp at 14 lbs boost. Use this as a reference. 

27 lbs is a lot, I mean A LOT of boost. I'd venture to say the info is not accurate.  Not a deal breaker and most sellers inflate HP and boost numbers to impress. 

Race gas with some boost on a stock 2.5 would yield a pretty peppy motor. Not 500 hp but a solid 350 for quite some time.  That's nothing to shake a stick at. It's impressive for a 2.5 l 4 cylinder. 

Assume you have a stock engine unless it comes with a build receipt and a builder to back it up. 

Let's see 

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pictures of the car. I’m supposed to pick it up in a couple of days do any of you know this car or anything about it?  Thank you!

14E0F6B4-B00D-4959-9FB0-2FAC0917FFA6.jpeg

386A06C8-9A0F-4892-9A15-FA5923512A8C.jpeg

5584E8CD-3C70-4EBC-A17C-533D244F3BA9.jpeg

0768ED8A-BC73-4D36-9FE7-1159789C646C.jpeg

743F797F-AE7A-4117-9EE7-3A989BF86FD1.jpeg

great looking car, im guessing i built that motor but would need to see pics really close of the motor, injectors, turbo to say anything about the motor

what tranny does it have?

where is the car located and where are you?  can you take car to a dyno before purchasing?

does it have a boost controller or is it at 500hp all the time?

whats the history of the engine, like rebuilds?

have you driven the car? if so where you able to see the boost on a gauge or?

great looking car, im guessing i built that motor but would need to see pics really close of the motor, injectors, turbo to say anything about the motor

what tranny does it have?

where is the car located and where are you?  can you take car to a dyno before purchasing?

does it have a boost controller or is it at 500hp all the time?

whats the history of the engine, like rebuilds?

have you driven the car? if so where you able to see the boost on a gauge or?
Thanks for the response. Has a 2D transmission. 

it’s up in the Merced area but came from Utah. Metric Motors built the motor

not sure about boos control

no way to go to a dump before purchase. 

If I pick it up you will be putting your hands on it at some point!!

I was going to do that tomorrow after I talked to somebody on here in case they knew the car. Thank you

we offer a partial dyno for $200  its a few pulls and we can tell a lot, HP, boost, air fuel ratio and if you are going to have fun in the dunes or not  :dude:

I have also been looking at getting a car and a few of the ones i like have subi so this has been some good info thanks to all

Back