New to me Funco: 2002 #15 (revised)

HozayKwarvo

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Joined the Funco Family. @Grease Monkey took the wife :scheeks:  for a ride Regatta weekend and she remembered how much she missed having a buggy :doh:  so we went and picked this up immediately afterwards. Our last buggy was ~15 years ago and was a VW beam car...

Listing was: 20062 Funco Hustler SSE 4 seat (#15) 420 horse Redline Northstar w/ MEFI, Mendeola 2-D, 930s, two-tube bypass Kings, radio & intercom with 4 head sets, 2 owner, factory built, professionally maintained, and super clean. 

Car is pretty much a time capsule... gages, lighting, etc. all original. Original paint still there but previous owner updated panels with some black vinyl.

Went through the car and everything looked good except the lower rear shock mounts and a leak PS reservoir cap. Replaced the shock mounts, all four rear shock uniballs, misalignment bushings, and grommets as well as the radiator hoses... then time for a shake down.

Happy to report that after 6 days there were zero issues besides the leaky PS reservoir cap. Temp fix for that and all is good :cheers:  Still have ~20 days left in the dunes this season and won't do much to it until it's over. May eventually do the full update or just a couple things here and there, unsure yet - air system probably top of the list - but very happy with the car!

**Had to edit the post - turns out this is a Gen3 SSE coil car from 2002 and originally built and owned by @FASTER DADDY - good seeing you the other day and really appreciate the intel on this gem :hethan:

Funco1.jpg

thumbnail (18).jpg

thumbnail (30).jpg

thumbnail (33).jpg

thumbnail (44).jpg

thumbnail (57).jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Rear shocks were missing the rubber grommets over the misalignment bushings and all four lower rear misalignment bushings looked like the one on the right, tops were ok but got replaced anyhow as did all four uniballs.

Lower shock mounts were worn pretty good, especially the passenger side. Both were replaced

The rhino lining on the arms might be great but kinda sucks when it's time to cut and weld... we won't be doing anymore of that in the future :lol:

thumbnail (21).jpg

thumbnail (20).jpg

thumbnail (24).jpg

thumbnail (26).jpg

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (14).jpg

thumbnail (15).jpg

thumbnail (16).jpg

Congratulations. I've never seen a Funco with a Northstar. Coincidentally I'm currently prepping an older Tatum with a Northstar. 

Nice! What is the model name and or generation number?

BEAUTIFUL car for sure / Congrats!!!!!

Lose that Vinyl / That original paint job looks NICE....I think Rusty painted it. he was next to their old shop in Rialto!  Classic Style ! 

(Its like you put carpet OVER the hardwood floors) You have GOLD under there!!!!

UNLESS - You are going to do a Glamis Veterans Wrap to match the trailer - THAT would also be Cool!

:clap:

ENJOY!

:poule:

Righteous, start hitting the funco Regatta and Enjoy, she might want to upgrade to the G5 in a year or 2 though.

I went through the same thing with the power steering. Ended up getting a new pump and remote reservoir. That solved the problem for me. I don't think the stock reservoir seals properly to the existing pump and just leaks. Nice car.

Stoked for you and Christy.

I mean Christy and you. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back