"New" Camaros

Bobalos

Reaction score
Does anyone here know details on the current generation of Camaros?

im after general info like HP options, trans options, common issues with them, aftermarket support, longevity, CA legal HP upgrades, etc.

is there a "goto" guy/shop in SO-Cal for these cars?? Im in SD if that helps.

thanks

Bob

They’re really good. Last models had either a 6MT or the same 10 speed auto that Ford/GM partnered on. ZL1 is King Kong. Power upgrades in CA are limited. Only way to really go is a supercharger kit (if not ZL1). Everything else is small gains or not CARB EO approved. Chassis is REALLY well sorted, probably the best handling normal-ish car offered today.

But…

They're hard to live with daily. Interior is super cramped, doesn’t make sense, and you can’t see a single damned thing out of them. You’re taller than me by a decent amount, and I was near the ceiling. The belt line is super high, and then the instruments inexplicably poke above the dash, so you can’t see chit in front of you unless you put your hair against the ceiling, which then means the low brow on the windshield blocks your view of traffic lights.  

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re really good. Last models had either a 6MT or the same 10 speed auto that Ford/GM partnered on. ZL1 is King Kong. Power upgrades in CA are limited. Not way to really go is a supercharger kit (if not ZL1). Everything else is small gains or not CARB EO approved. Chassis is REALLY well sorted, probably the best handling normal-ish car offered today.

But…

They're hard to live with daily. Interior is super cramped, doesn’t make sense, and you can’t see a single damned thing out of them. You’re taller than me by a decent amount, and I was near the ceiling. The belt line is super high, and then the instruments inexplicably poke above the dash, so you can’t see chit in front of you unless you put your hair against the ceiling, which then means the low brow on the windshield blocks your view of traffic lights.  
Ford FanBoi for sure lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro

Sixth generation (2016–2024)[SIZE=small][[/SIZE]edit]

Main article: Chevrolet Camaro (sixth generation)

Sixth-generation Camaro

On May 16, 2015, Chevrolet introduced the sixth generation Camaro at Belle Isle Park in Detroit for the 2016 model year. The launch, complete with previous generation Camaros on display, coincided with the vehicle's 50th birthday.[30]

Using the GM Alpha platform shared with the Cadillac ATS, and manufactured at Lansing Grand River Assembly in Michigan,[31] sales of the sixth generation Camaro began in late 2015, starting with LT and SS models.[32]

The 2016 Camaro weighed 200 lb (91 kg) less than its predecessor. Over 70% of the sixth generation's architectural components are unique to the car and are not shared with any other GM product.[33]

Motor Trend named the 2016 Camaro its "Car of the Year".[34]

Early production cars have three engine versions: a 2.0 L turbo-charged inline-four producing 275 hp (205 kW; 279 PS), a new 3.6 L V6 making 335 hp (250 kW; 340 PS), while the SS model features the 6.2 L LT1 V8 with 455 hp (339 kW; 461 PS); the ZL1 model will use a supercharged 650 hp (485 kW; 659 PS) LT4 based on the Corvette Z06.[35] The transmissions are either a six-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic (the 2017 ZL1 will share the six-speed manual but have an optional ten-speed automatic transmission with paddle shift).[31]

For the 2017 model year, the 1LE performance package returned to the Camaro. The package built off the success of the previous-generation 1LE, offering increased handling and track performance. In response to customer demand, Chevrolet offered two 1LE packages for V6 and V8 models, each visually distinguished with a satin black vinyl-wrapped hood and specific wheels. This prevents the sun from glaring into the driver's view when racing on a track.[36] The 2017 ZL1 Camaro has a top speed of 198 mph,[37] and a Nürburgring Nordschleife lap time of 7:29.60.[38]

For the 2018 model year, Chevrolet introduced the ZL1 1LE package for the Camaro. The new package tested three seconds faster around General Motors' Milford Road Course than the next-fastest ZL1 Camaro. The ZL1 1LE performance package introduces improved aerodynamics, a new racing-inspired adjustable suspension, and new lightweight forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires created especially for the ZL1 1LE. Overall, the new performance package reduces the car's weight by 60 lb (27 kg) over the ZL1. The ZL1 1LE shares the ZL1's supercharged 650 hp (485 kW; 659 PS) LT4 engine paired with a six-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Match.[39] The 2018 ZL1 1LE, a manual transmission model driven by Camaro ride and handling engineer Bill Wise, clocked a Nurburgring Nordschleife time of 7:16.04, which was a substantial 13.56 seconds faster than the previous model year's non-1LE ZL1 with automatic transmission.[40]

The Camaro received a facelift for the 2019 model year, with the LS, LT, and SS models gaining a new set of LED headlights and revised fascia designs. The SS also received these upgrades and a new "polished black grille", which was received negatively. The rear fascia featured new split taillights colored red on the LS and LT and a unique clear lens on the SS and ZL1. The ZL1's front end remained unchanged, but gained a new set of spoilers. Four color choices, two blues, one gray, and one yellow, were removed and replaced with two new shades of gray and a darker shade of blue, Riverside Blue Metallic. Old LPO trim accessories were discontinued and replaced with either standard features or updated options. The interior received Chevrolet's then-new "Infotainment 3" system over their aging MyLink, with a standard backup camera to meet updated US Federal regulations. The SS trim was available with a new 10-speed transmission for the V8. The LS Convertible was discontinued and the LT was offered with a new 3LT coupe and convertible combo. Some trim packages previously only for the SS were also made available for the LT. For the ZL1 1LE, the Turbo I4 was revised to have a higher power output and gained a Track Performance Package; the remainder was unchanged.[41] The update was met with overall acclaim, with emphasis on driving but certain news outlets were particularly harsh on the SS' updated design, with Motor Trend's Christian Seabaugh calling it "botched plastic surgery" and even going so far to suggest that Chevrolet dock the design staff's pay to cover the engineering staff's raise.[42]

Ford FanBoi for sure lol
LOL.  I actually wanted the Camaro before I drove both.  Handling and powertrain are great.  Interior and livability are legendarily shitty. 

raedQfi.png

In the end, the 7500rpm Coyote won over this former Import Fanboi.  Handling was close.

I went looking at them as well.  It had a lot of power and looked cool as phuq but, the front end felt longer than a 74 Monte Carlo and the side windows I don't think you could get a large soda from a drive thru in without spilling.

My wife has a 2015 Camaro RS1, fully loaded, 6spd auto with paddle shifters, V6 with 327hp. 

I tell you that has been and still is an awesome car. She loves it. The 2016 and above narrowed the interior and seemed to be more cramped.

Yeah, there are blind spots, but what car doesn't have them.

I really was hoping to buy her a new one in 2025 since hers will be 10 years old then, but they have discontinued them. 

:explode:

Who knows if they will bring it back in a few years... I read that if they do they will go the route that Ford EFED up on with the Mustang Mach E and make it an EV SUV pile of garbage!!!

Only thing I don't like is...she had to pick BLACK!   :simrak:

:lmao:  

20231103_163132.jpg

The body lines are the same front and back. Aside from the color of the lights you can't tell if they're coming or going.

Take off the rear spoiler, put some clear taillights on the rear with red LEDs and you could drive down the road backwards and no one would notice 

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one as a rental last year.  Nope for pretty much everything Rockwood said.

I love them, until I drove one....so bummed I couldn't see shit and my head was hitting the roof. Felt like driving a Jeep at every signal light because I'd have to dip my head to see the signal lights.

They are a sexy bitch though 😍 

Funny, I love driving Cheryl's Camaro.

I look back to my 1992 5.0 LX Mustang V8 that had 225 HP, 5spd manual. This thing has over 100 more hp with the V6.

Man, I still would love to have that Mustang back, Partial Racecraft suspension (Springs, bushings and sub-frame connectors), Exhaust and tinted windows. FUN FUN car!

Was a great daily driver.

I had the opportunity to rent a newer Camaro and a same year Mustang back in 2019...Being a Chevy guy I was excited as I'd never driven a Camaro...Like others have stated, the cockpit view was horrible - example, stopped at a stop light you can't see the signal unless you lean forward...It was odd.

I drove the mustang a week later - and liked the feel of it much more....

Chevy for trucks, but 2 door sports cars (Corvette is in its own league) - I'd prob go Mustang...i haven't driven a 2-door charger yet, but too big for a 2 door car for my taste.

I love them, until I drove one....so bummed I couldn't see chit and my head was hitting the roof. Felt like driving a Jeep at every signal light because I'd have to dip my head to see the signal lights.

They are a sexy bitch though 😍 
the vette or the camaro??

Funny, I love driving Cheryl's Camaro.

I look back to my 1992 5.0 LX Mustang V8 that had 225 HP, 5spd manual. This thing has over 100 more hp with the V6.

Man, I still would love to have that Mustang back, Partial Racecraft suspension (Springs, bushings and sub-frame connectors), Exhaust and tinted windows. FUN FUN car!

Was a great daily driver.
vanilla-ice-with-his-fox-body-mustang.jpg

Back