My 24 yr old son totaled his car - ideas?

Like mentioned put it on CL and sell it as a project car, no salvage title. Get a few grand for it. Then YOU chip in and give your son another $8k to match his $8k (because business is good!) and let him take that $18-$19K to the Kia or Hyundai dealer and try to get him a new, or newer car like you did for your girls. 

Sounds like he did nothing wrong and your girls got or are getting new cars. Business is good so help your son out a bit. Be Angry Butt Crack not Cheap Ass Butt Crack! Lol.  

3rd vote for putting it on Craiglist and see is someone will give you a few grand for it.  

Wow.. that was quick.. put it on Offer up as suggested. Listed it for $2k.

Had 7 messages in the first 10 minutes.. got up to around 20.. My son was playing golf in Newport and had the key, I had the pink in Laguna Hills, so I ran down and met him at the first green (they just started), motored over to Garden Grove where it was parked and met the first guy who contacted us and could come right out. He lived a few miles away and he paid us the full $2k.

Front end was a mess. Too much work to fix. He parts them out. Think the motor would be OK, but the whole front end would have to be chopped off.

Thanks GD for the help!

Sincerely,

abc

PS. I forgot, but a few weeks ago my son said his friend checked his oil and it wasn't even registering. He was over late (I was drunk), so we added at least a quart. When I met the dude saw the mileage was at 194k and my son's last oil change sticker was at 174k. When my son asked me at the time  why I thought it was low (before checking the oil change sticker), I said, 'well older cars can sometimes burn some oil.' ... see why he doesn't deserve a 20k car... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually think you could pull the motor.. I'll bet it was fine... 

.. hope the young 21 year old surfer kid makes a grip on it.. nice kid.

abc

Sounds like a perfect deal...you're happy, he's happy... problem solved....

As mentioned, buy the kid a new car! He's 24, and could use it for sure. And not no Hyundai either lol 😆 

Nah,.. the boy will likely get 2 points as the CHP report says 'accident with injuries.' Maybe I'll contact insurance. If I was to 'chip in' he might not want that full coverage insurance bill (which I think is necessary for a $15k+ vehicle). Being that he's 24 and will probably getting points, he could have a $250/month insurance bill.

Now he's looking at 4 Runners, but the mileage is WAY higher than just getting a compact car.

I already still have him on payroll although he only works for me a few days/year as he has been going to school and working a low wage job + tips, so he's already being 'helped.'

I'll kick it around, but if I chipped in, he'd have to get full coverage and that would be on him. 

abc

Back