Mendeola 2D at Transworks in El Cajon

Marlboroman

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is not an attack post, but I have huge concerns about a Mendeola 2D I dropped off at Transworks in El Cajon on Sept 16, 2021.  It needed a ring gear and a few other small things.  I've called Eric numerous times (25+ times).  He has never reached out to me once.  He keeps telling me he is still waiting on ring and pinions from Weddle.  So this last week, I called McDowell and he told me he has had ring and pinions since November of last year.  Has anyone done business with Tranworks lately? Thanks :ez:

Call Sean and ask him if he has R&P for a 2d..  I have spoke with him several times in the past and he has always been very helpful with any inquiries.

Agree. Call the source. If he’s getting parts from Weddle, and he’s claiming they don’t have stock, then call Weddle. It could be they dont have stock on that ratio R&P you are wanting. Or it could be they don’t have stock for companies over their credit limit or passed due on their terms. (aka on credit hold until the pay their bill) Not saying they are, but this happens all the time. 
I have given Eric options on R&P ratios, but I can't even get a courtesy call from the dude.  Not one time has he called me.  I ask Dave about what he has, he has to correct one on the shelf, actually multiple ones.  Thank you, I will call Sean :ez:

Call Sean and ask him if he has R&P for a 2d..  I have spoke with him several times in the past and he has always been very helpful with any inquiries.
Thank you, I will give Shawn a call :ez:

I don't know Transworks at all but the situation sounds sh!tty.  I seriousy doubt Sean is going to tell you, or ayone for that matter, if he has sold parts to a particular vendor regarless of the situation.

So they have had it for 13 months?  Yea I would be very concerned........

My experirnce with them was pretty good.  It did not shift as well as I had hoped, but it works fine. 

22 June 20, picked up trans from TransWorks.  Erick said that it looked OK.  2nd was going bad & R&P was super bad with pitting.  One Synchro was bad so he replaced it, but the other 2 looked new.  Went from 4.86 to a 5.14 R&P.

15 June 20, I pulled motor & trans from buggy.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of 9-28-22 Weddle only has 3.88 R&P sets  for a 2D in stock. They have a list of what they have in stock posted on their website. Looks like it is regularly updated.

As of 9-28-22 Weddle only has 3.88 R&P sets  for a 2D in stock. They have a list of what they have in stock posted on their website. Looks like it is regularly updated.
Sean told me that list is not up to date, just call him.

You are understandably unhappy with the service and level of communication from this business. You have identified another service provider that appears to have the part you need and perhaps improved communication. Why not simply drive over and pick up your trans and parts and take them to another vendor? 

friend of mine had a 2d rebuilt by another place they didnt have the ring pinion ratio he wanted was backordered so he was able to get another branded ring pinion not as good as weddle but also not pushing big amount of power

Here's the deal:

We have been out of "shelf stock" 2D R&P's for the past 2 years. We typically try to keep at least a 2-3 year supply of these on the shelf, those supply numbers are based on 15-20 years of sales history. 

Once 2020 hit and demand skyrocketed, our typical order quantity of 40-50 R&P sets per batch was already oversold by at least double the demand. Meaning we had 100 people waiting for R&P's that we could only make about 50 per batch. This was across the board on all transmissions, so it's not like we could just push extra sets through to compensate for the extra demand. The machines were booked for all different R&P sets for the next 2-3 years. 

Yes, you are probably still waiting on a R&P from us. There is a good chance that the order for your R&P was placed before we received a batch in the past year, but since your order was outside of the number of sets we received in that batch, you are having to wait for the next batch to get yours.

Dave McDowell will typically order common parts for his own inventory, so he probably does have what you need. Almost every other builder relies on Weddle to be their "warehouse", so they are reliant on our inventory levels. McDowell's business strategy works well in times like these.

The good news is that we are getting close on getting 2D R&P's back in stock, hopefully you will be getting a call soon. 

That sucks, I dropped off my 2d at Wright, right before SSSS, lucky R&P was good, already have my tranny back in my car.  

Personally, I would go buy the R&P from McDowell if he will sell it to you, and drop it off and get the tranny back together.

Hi Guys,

This is not an attack post, but I have huge concerns about a Mendeola 2D I dropped off at Transworks in El Cajon on Sept 16, 2021.  It needed a ring gear and a few other small things.  I've called Eric numerous times (25+ times).  He has never reached out to me once.  He keeps telling me he is still waiting on ring and pinions from Weddle.  So this last week, I called McDowell and he told me he has had ring and pinions since November of last year.  Has anyone done business with Tranworks lately? Thanks :ez:
Not to beat on you, but this is a hobby that is generally only in a hand full of states and countries, it is not like a drag race track with ls motors, so if you have to wait a year for a part that is not bad, some exotic auto sports might wait years for parts,  as the market shift to big box factory vehicles, this will make the transaxle parts harder to get, 

I waited for a for a S4D for over 15 months, after that i have always kept parts on the shelf, like a saving account every month i order a spare part for my trans, when i go into my transaxle i will have every part I need on the shelf,  

I hate reading this.  I need to have my trans gone through.  No matter where I take it, I'll have to drive "somewhere" several hours.  Ahhh  Havasu living.

Sorry for the highjack.  Any good trans shops near Havasu for a 2D?

Eff that. Weather the parts are backorder or not, return a guys phone call. I can't stand crap like that. I will not beg anyone to take my money. 

Pick up your parts and take them over to Dave McDowell. 100% legit dude. Always talks to you, hell, one time I called him late in the afternoon, he spent almost an hour on the phone with me, despite not be at work, and having his kids with him.

The one year wait for parts is somewhat of an anomaly for this industry in the past few years.

I used to feel bad about telling people they were going to have to 4-6 weeks for a new trans from us back in 2019. 

It will get better again, hopefully within the next 6-8 months on our end. These are weird times for supply and demand. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Eff that. Weather the parts are backorder or not, return a guys phone call. I can't stand crap like that. I will not beg anyone to take my money. 

Pick up your parts and take them over to Dave McDowell. 100% legit dude. Always talks to you, hell, one time I called him late in the afternoon, he spent almost an hour on the phone with me, despite not be at work, and having his kids with him.
THIS / He is a great guy!!!! 

Back